Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Of course it is a proper country. If you look again, you will see that the Netherlands is mentioned as is their population density.
Everywhere I have looked has Netherlands having a higher population density than England - although lived population density is a more meaningful measure :

eta - on Wikipedia it is showing England having a higher population than the Netherlands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_and_population_of_European_countries

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Very interesting Sodium-ion cell explosion video - does look as though if the battery is mounted on the rear rack, the explosion runaway effect could add thrust increasing speed legally. Exploding mid-mounted sodium-ion batteries would of course boost height, providing much needed cyclist visibility to other vehicles. That much explosive force inside a typical downtube battery case will set off adjacent cells, popping the case - perhaps cases could retain the modicum of waterproofing they have now, with the addition of large flat fast pressure valves of some kind? To be exploded off more predictably, like the cell caps. Ebikes might be designed situating sodium-ion batteries as far away from the rider as possible, or direct the force of the explosion away from the rider's body, kindof like shaped charges the SAS use in movies.

Oh well, at least fires will be much easier to extinguish. Sodium-ion battery storage facilities won't burn for weeks or months, there will be very large sudden craters instead.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
The Australians are absolutely the ones in control of who can settle. They take the people that they want. There is nothing wrong with that.

The reason Johnson, and Sunac failed to drive the policy forward is cowardice and uselessness. Truss was a six week joke. That party is finished for a generation as a party of government.

The calculation you made on costs is spurious. The whole point is not to deport large numbers, but to show that illegal migration means deportation. Once that point is established, illegal migration stops. That is well established.

Snivelling, do-gooderism only encourages a swarm of people to embark from France and Europe where they protect neither their own perimeter, nor their internal national borders.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The calculation you made on costs is spurious. The whole point is not to deport large numbers, but to show that illegal migration means deportation. Once that point is established, illegal migration stops. That is well established.
Google up how many Australia has deported illegal migrants and to where. You'll see that Australia deport a tiny number and mainly to to Nauru and Manus. Most are eventually given refugees status. So, the tiny number of deportees to off shore detention centres is not a sign of success as deterrent.
They have even closed their detention centre in Papau New Guinea.
Clearly, off shore centres are not a long term solution. They will all be quietly closed.
The reason that populists cite Australia as example how deterence works is because a lot of people don't have time to look into details so believe that deternce works. In fact, practical integration works. Quietly, successive Australian governments give refugees a bridging visa, an education then a job.
Alternative routes such as UNHCR centres and bridging visas are much easier routes. We don't have equivalent schemes so asylum seekers have to use more dangerous routes.

If you are interested in legal aspect of this subject, check out this article:

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Google up how many Australia has deported illegal migrants and to where. You'll see that Australia deport a tiny number and mainly to to Nauru and Manus. Most are eventually given refugees status.
They have even closed their detention centre in Papau New Guinea.
The reason that populists cite Australia as example how deterence works is because a lot of people don't have time to look into details. Basically, alternative routes such as UNHCR centres and bridging visas are much easier routes. We don't have equivalent schemes so asylum seekers have to use more dangerous routes.

If you are interested in legal aspect of this subject, check out this article:

Assylum shoppers should be the term. France is safe.

As i understand it, you sir live in France. Of course you have no interest in how many knaves turn up here. Nor does it matter to you how we live in over expensive homes, over crowded hospitals and towns, and choked up motorways. You live in a country with four times the land area and a similar sized population. Like Macron and the French police, you have no interest in keeping migrants in France. Far better that they come to England.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Everywhere I have looked has Netherlands having a higher population density than England - although lived population density is a more meaningful measure :

eta - on Wikipedia it is showing England having a higher population than the Netherlands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_and_population_of_European_countries
EDIT: This post contains an error. I inadvertently stated that Netherlands has a lower population density than England. This is not true.

It is a fact that the Netherlands is densely populated. It is slightly less dense than England. Most fo Scotland is barely liveable - that is why people don't live there. I remember when a Syrian couple were settled in northern Scotland and expressed horror at where they ended up. We know where migrants settle - they settle in the cities of England. The SNP want them, but they don't usually stay there.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As i understand it, you sir live in France. Of course you have no interest in how many knaves turn up here.
we have similar problems with illegal migrants in France too and the number is also similar. Some of the healthcare issues are dental treatments.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It is a fact that the Netherlands is densely populated. It is slightly less dense than England. Most fo Scotland is barely liveable - that is why people don't live there. I remember when a Syrian couple were settled in northern Scotland and expressed horror at where they ended up. We know where migrants settle - they settle in the cities of England. The SNP want them, but they don't usually stay there.
So you agree with lived population density as a more meaningful measure ?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
So you agree with lived population density as a more meaningful measure ?
Not really. Cities are well above the national population densities. I just think in general, a simple straightforward measure such as the one I gave - people per sq kilometre, gives a measure which lets us know what the resource capacity of the country is in relation to how many people are living there. I actually think some people, for political reasons have an interest in trying to hide the problem. The standard international measure is the one I gave. It doesn't always work well though. For example the Guardian would never give the population density of England alone, It would give the measure which is much lower - that of the whole UK, never of course mentioning that a large area of the UK is barely liveable - Scottish highlands - a vast empty area of bog and mountain is never going to be occupied except by a sparse population of shepherds and foresters. The Pennines is like that. I live in the North Pennines, but in the South Tyne Valley. It looks great at this time of year, but it qualifies for Dark Sky Status for a reason - barely anyone lives there, and there are reasons for that. So - I still think that people per sq km is the best metric for how crowded the land is and by any standard 433 people per sq km in England and under 120 people per sq km in France tells you where the people should be staying.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
For example the Guardian would never give the population density of England alone, It would give the measure which is much lower - that of the whole UK, never of course mentioning that a large area of the UK is barely liveable - Scottish highlands - a vast empty area of bog and mountain is never going to be occupied except by a sparse population of shepherds and foresters.
Like most of Spain

(From earlier link)

"Spain contains within it more than 505,000 1km squares. But only 13% of them are lived in. This means that the “lived density” for Spain is in fact 737 people per km², rather than 93. So even though the settlement pattern appears sparse, people are actually quite tightly packed together."

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Very interesting Sodium-ion cell explosion video - does look as though if the battery is mounted on the rear rack, the explosion runaway effect could add thrust increasing speed legally. Exploding mid-mounted sodium-ion batteries would of course boost height, providing much needed cyclist visibility to other vehicles. That much explosive force inside a typical downtube battery case will set off adjacent cells, popping the case - perhaps cases could retain the modicum of waterproofing they have now, with the addition of large flat fast pressure valves of some kind? To be exploded off more predictably, like the cell caps. Ebikes might be designed situating sodium-ion batteries as far away from the rider as possible, or direct the force of the explosion away from the rider's body, kindof like shaped charges the SAS use in movies.

Oh well, at least fires will be much easier to extinguish. Sodium-ion battery storage facilities won't burn for weeks or months, there will be very large sudden craters instead.
I think that reaction is pretty tame by comparison to the same kind of abuse done to L ion batteries. The cell holds a lot of energy which the vandal doing that 'test' suddenly released y short circuiting the anode and cathode of the cell. These are wound inside like swiss roll with the electrolyte suffusing the whole casing. Sodium salts are much less fire prone than lithium ones as we all know. I think much of the pressure and apparent smoke is probably mostly steam generated by sudden heating due to the complete, unprotected short circuit. The top blew off in all cases as far as I can see.

Overall, a shame to waste good batteries like that I'd say.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

I have checked this and I am now finding the same as you Peter.

I apologise for the error and I will post a correction warning on the posts where I said different.

Nonetheless - my point about unacceptable density still stands in comparison to most of Europe.

Basically, it isn't an English problem if Greece and Italy operate a highly porous border so that the disaffected of Africa and the Middle East can easily enter their territory. It is up to them to keep them out and we should do the same. Vast numbers of people in those areas of the world can see on their smart phones that people in Europe and the UK have a better life than is currently available where they live. It is down to them to improve their own countries, not migrate to ours.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Like most of Spain

(From earlier link)

"Spain contains within it more than 505,000 1km squares. But only 13% of them are lived in. This means that the “lived density” for Spain is in fact 737 people per km², rather than 93. So even though the settlement pattern appears sparse, people are actually quite tightly packed together."
You can't do that. You might just as well say that there are ten people on that square meter cueuing for a bus, so the population density is 10 million per square km.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Basically, it isn't an English problem if Greece and Italy operate a highly porous border so that the disaffected of Africa and the Middle East can easily enter their territory. It is up to them to keep them out and we should do the same. Vast numbers of people in those areas of the world can see on their smart phones that people in Europe and the UK have a better life than is currently available where they live. It is down to them to improve their own countries, not migrate to ours.
The vast majority of immigrants are invited to come with job offers, they are not refugees. Real refugees are in much smaller numbers, about 10%, have no legal route to claim asylum outside the UK, so have to come via illegal routes. Trust me, the arguments are the same on the other side of the English channel. If you want to deal with the problems, start by having a proper wealth tax and a mutualised health system like we have in France. You pay on average £50 a month to a mutuelle which deal with all the bureaucracy so you only have to present your carte mutuelle and end up with an NHS that works. The law ensures that you are not discriminated against on the ground on existing health conditions or treatment history. Next, make sure that most of our money is not invested in our houses but in the real economy to boost productivity.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
The vast majority of immigrants are invited to come with job offers, they are not refugees. Real refugees are in much smaller numbers, about 10%, have no legal route to claim asylum outside the UK, so have to come via illegal routes. Trust me, the arguments are the same on the other side of the English channel. If you want to deal with the problems, start by having a proper wealth tax and a mutualised health system like we have in France. You pay on average £50 a month to a mutuelle which deal with all the bureaucracy so you only have to present your carte mutuelle and end up with an NHS that works. The law ensures that you are not discriminated against on the ground on existing health conditions or treatment history. Next, make sure that most of our money is not invested in our houses but in the real economy to boost productivity.
I read a good article in the Spectator about the differences between the abominable NHS - abominable because it is so ineffective considering the fortune spent on it, and the rather better French system. We should learn from others and make it much better than it is. FRankly, I am VERY glad that I have been so lucky in health. Peole I know have been given pretty poor service,having paid into the system for many decades. It came up very short when they needed it.

Here is the article:

Spectator article contrasting NHS provision with the French Insurance based system.

Last edited by a moderator: