Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
NOBODY who comes here from France is anything but an Assylum Shopper. France is a safe and humane society. End of.
Surely the French could say the same ? Is it only countries bordering brutal regimes that should house asylum seekers ? That doesn't seem very fair.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Question Time audience shout ‘shame’
He has been tested and his rwanda scheme got to nowhere, now he has no time left. What can he do in the next two weeks?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Surely the French could say the same ? Is it only countries bordering brutal regimes that should house asylum seekers ? That doesn't seem very fair.
EDIT: this post contains an error which was pointed out by Peter. The Netherlands has a larger population density than I stated here . It is actually 100 higher than I said and is 522 per sq km.

It is no about 'fair' Peter - it is about what is good for us. If the EU fails to police its own borders properly, then it is up to them to deal with the consequences of that failure. In a world where most everybody has a smart phone, the potential number of migrants is essentially unlimited.

Interestingly, countries within the EU are now talking about sending illegal / irregular migrants to third countries for processing. There is little doubt that the very pronounced success of right wing parties in Europe's recent election is driven by concern about the slack control of EU and national borders.

The mass migration problem is not going to go away and its results impact on our own young people who pay ever more and more for their accommodation. England where most arrivals end up, is the most densely populated proper country in Europe at 438 people per sq km in 2022. Netherlands has 422, but France has 117 per sq km, Spain, has 94, Germany, 233, Italy, has 195, and Sweden has 20 per sq km. Russia has a population density of 8.49 people per sq km.

Of COURSE we must protect our borders and we must expel all of those who arrive illegally. Try just arriving in Australia, New Zealand or the USA and Canada. You will be instantly arrested and put on a plane back home, whatever story of woe you turn up with.

As things stand right now, ANYBODY who can cross the centre line of the English Channel gets in here, and can live unmolested, no matter their history, their criminality or the seriousness of their claims. In 2022 we had tens of thousands of Albanian men arriving. Many are now busily employed in the distribution of drugs and the furtherance of organised crime. It was only when the Albanians agreed (under a large bribe) to take them back, that the inflow stopped. Deterrence works. Ask the Australians.

Unregulated mass migration MUST be deterred or this country will cease to be a place we would want to live in.

ALL arrivals soon take up accommodation in the ordinary housing market either as renters or owner occupiers. We have no chance of EVER building enough houses in England to keep up with demand boosted by huge numbers of migrants. Rents and house prices all over England are sky high because of this.

In my lifetime the population (official figures) has risen from 50 million to 68 million, but we have more than 68 million in reality. Most of that rise is certainy attributable to mass migration. Since 1990 the rise has been about 9 million. That is the equivalent population of nine Birminghams Where have the nine mega cities been built? Th answer is, they were not built. Hence the cost of housing. Competition drives up prices.

People here illegally do not fill in census forms and the supermarket supply chain and waste water companies estimate we have a real population far higher than flawed official figures suggest. They say it is nearer 80 million.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Too many carrots does that.
Crown Prince pumpkin orange is what my profile pic is made using. This is my real face, anonymity be damned! Even slimmer now. Abs standing out, two of them anyway. Working on excavating the other six from ruvlets of roiling wobby fat.

I have yet to fit back into three of my other old leather jackets, and one leather shirt. But they're washed, waxed and conditioned ready for the day.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If the EU fails to police its own borders properly, then it is up to them to deal with the consequences of that failure.
why would the same comment not applicable to our borders?
if we follow your logic, do we just tow their boats to some international waters?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
why would the same comment not applicable to our borders?
if we follow your logic, do we just tow their boats to some international waters?
A few years ago, the Australians were faced with large numbers of illegal migrants from south east Asia. They were commonly known as the boat people. They arranged with a neighbouring country - maybe New Guinea, to set up migrant processing centres and accomodation there, and made it VERY CLEAR that anyone who turned up by an irregular route, would be taken there and would stay there until they agreed to be repatriated to their country of origin. The flow stopped at once. Ðeterrence works. Here of course, the Rwanda plan was frustrated by courts and the snivelling cowardice of Sunac's feeble government. With the majority he had, he could have made it work. The consequence is that every calm day, hundreds of chancers arrive and settle here. How many houses are we building? Where will the building land come from?

Contrast the built up density of England with thst of France, Spain, Greece and Italy.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It is no about 'fair' Peter - it is about what is good for us. If the EU fails to police its own borders properly, then it is up to them to deal with the consequences of that failure. In a world where most everybody has a smart phone, the potential number of migrants is essentially unlimited.

Interestingly, countries within the EU are now talking about sending illegal / irregular migrants to third countries for processing. There is little doubt that the very pronounced success of right wing parties in Europe's recent election is driven by concern about the slack control of EU and national borders.

The mass migration problem is not going to go away and its results impact on our own young people who pay ever more and more for their accommodation. England where most arrivals end up, is the most densely populated proper country in Europe at 438 people per sq km in 2022. Netherlands has 422, but France has 117 per sq km, Spain, has 94, Germany, 233, Italy, has 195, and Sweden has 20 per sq km. Russia has a population density of 8.49 people per sq km.

Of COURSE we must protect our borders and we must expel all of those who arrive illegally. Try just arriving in Australia, New Zealand or the USA and Canada. You will be instantly arrested and put on a plane back home, whatever story of woe you turn up with.

As things stand right now, ANYBODY who can cross the centre line of the English Channel gets in here, and can live unmolested, no matter their history, their criminality or the seriousness of their claims. In 2022 we had tens of thousands of Albanian men arriving. Many are now busily employed in the distribution of drugs and the furtherance of organised crime. It was only when the Albanians agreed (under a large bribe) to take them back, that the inflow stopped. Deterrence works. Ask the Australians.

Unregulated mass migration MUST be deterred or this country will cease to be a place we would want to live in.

ALL arrivals soon take up accommodation in the ordinary housing market either as renters or owner occupiers. We have no chance of EVER building enough houses in England to keep up with demand boosted by huge numbers of migrants. Rents and house prices all over England are sky high because of this.

In my lifetime the population (official figures) has risen from 50 million to 68 million, but we have more than 68 million in reality. Most of that rise is certainy attributable to mass migration. Since 1990 the rise has been about 9 million. That is the equivalent population of nine Birminghams Where have the nine mega cities been built? Th answer is, they were not built. Hence the cost of housing. Competition drives up prices.

People here illegally do not fill in census forms and the supermarket supply chain and waste water companies estimate we have a real population far higher than flawed official figures suggest. They say it is nearer 80 million.

People coming here on small boats is a tiny % of net migration - there is an interesting study here - the vast, vast majority is legal migration.

It also makes the point that our percentage of our population that is foreign born is very average when compared with other countries

I'm not saying we should have uncontrolled immigration, but I think we should take our fair share of genuine refugees that are fleeing persecution.

I also think our house building planning regulations and Nimbyism is a lot more to blame for the housing crisis than immigration.

Oh and Dutch people think the Netherlands is a proper country !

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
People coming here on small boats is a tiny % of net migration - there is an interesting study here - the vast, vast majority is legal migration.

It also makes the point that our percentage of our population that is foreign born is very average when compared with other countries

I'm not saying we should have uncontrolled immigration, but I think we should take our fair share of genuine refugees that are fleeing persecution.

I also think our house building planning regulations and Nimbyism is a lot more to blame for the housing crisis than immigration.

Oh and Dutch people think the Netherlands is a proper country !
Of course it is a proper country. If you look again, you will see that the Netherlands is mentioned as is their population density. I used that term to distinguish between normal countries and city states like Monaco and Luxembourg. Cities and city states are obviously more dense in population than countries with agricultural and wilderness areas.

Your reference to 'regular' migrant numbers is well made. Sunac's government allowed about 720,000 visas. Many for care workers. This is a low wage, low skill occupation. The answer should have been to pay care workers more. There are millions of working age people on benefits. Why?

80,000 care worker migrants when added to by their dependents, also given visas, worked out in the end, to over 150 000 souls. Most of the dependents are on benefits. Sunac is a dead duck.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

The proportion of population made up of foreign born people is not the metric we should be concerned about with regard to population growth in the UK, and specifically in regard to England where most want to settle. The pertinent metric is density. France is all but four times the size. Pressure on land and environment is the important consideration, if you are interested in how people live and the quality of their lives.

Look again at that satellite image.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A few years ago, the Australians were faced with large numbers of illegal migrants from south east Asia. They were commonly known as the boat people. They arranged with a neighbouring country - maybe New Guinea, to set up migrant processing centres and accomodation there, and made it VERY CLEAR that anyone who turned up by an irregular route, would be taken there and would stay there until they agreed to be repatriated to their country of origin. The flow stopped at once. Ðeterrence works. Here of course, the Rwanda plan was frustrated by courts and the snivelling cowardice of Sunac's feeble government. With the majority he had, he could have made it work. The consequence is that every calm day, hundreds of chancers arrive and settle here. How many houses are we building? Where will the building land come from?
Let's talk about the way Australia deals with illegal immigrants. They have been dealing with this problem since the 1990s. They first passed a law in the 1990s to make arrest and detention mandatory without any limit of the duration of detention. Illegal entrants either stay in their detention centre or voluntarily leave Australia. Some have been detained since 2010.
The success is limited. The deterent effect shifts the route from boats to tourist visas. As soon as they land, they can ask immediately for a bridging visa, no deportation until their refugee status is granted. Result: about 200,000 immigrate to Australia every year.

Johnson, Truss and Sunak all had the majority in parliament to pass such law but didn't.
Maybe the reason is they can see how unpractical and expensive such a law would be. Each detainee would cost between £1.5 to £2.5 millions.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Of vourse it is a proper country. If you look again, you will see that the Netherlands is mentioned as is their population density. I used that term to distinguish between normal countries and city states like Monaco and Luxembourg. Cities and city states are obviously more dense in population than counttues with agricultural and wilderness areas.

Your reference to 'regular' migrant numbers us well made. Sunac's government allowed about 720,000 visas. Many for care workers. This is a low wage, low skill occupation. The answer should have been to pay care workers more. There are millions of working age people on benefits. Why?

80,000 care worker migrants when added to by their dependents, sldo given visas, worked out in the end to over 150 000 souls. Most of the dependents are on benefits. Sunac is a dead duck.
Something that got me thinking is where all these young fighting age men go that come on the small boats to Dover. It was over 800 in a day a couple of days ago.

I've been watching those auditors on YouTube, like Auditing Britainn and DJ Audits, who go round filming police and industrial units. AFAICS, about 95% of the security guys are immigrants, so I would assume that while they're in their hotels, they're given some sort of training, then sent out to do their duty.

When I was a kid, security guards were virtually unheard of except very large factories. There were no security guys in the town centre, on industrial sites, at schools and especially none guarding police stations. Now they're everywhere. Why do police establishments need private security? Many of them can hardly speak English.

Anyway we can rationalise it as much as we like, but my spider senses aren't relaxed about it.

Reactions: Ghost1951