Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"The Canary" is a rather sesationalist left wing publication, but it does make a change from reading right wing rags every day, and here is a rather entertaining article on Trident from last year that raises genuine questions about the Reasons and Finances of the Trident Deterrent system
"
With reference to the role of multinational financial institutions, all the companies listed above, aside from being involved in Trident, share one other common denominator. They are all financed, or owned, by UK banks. Specifically Barclays and HSBC. A report by Don’t Bank on the Bomb details the involvement of major financial institutions in the western nuclear weapons industry.

What this report doesn’t cover, however, is these institutions involvement in Russia’s nuclear weapons industry.
Laughing all the way to the bank
Aside from financing state-owned Russian companies like Rostec State Corporation (heavily involved with the country’s military) via their funding of, and credit trading with, Rostec financiers Novikombank, these banks have directly financed the Trident equivalent in Russia.

The Dolgorukiy class submarine programme is Putin’s very own Trident. Made by a company called Sevmash, it’s financed by the state-owned Vnesheconombank (VEB) development bank. In turn, VEB bank is financed by a consortium of international banks. These include, of course, Barclays and HSBC.

Essentially, UK multinational banks are playing one big game of “Battleships”, funding both UK and Russian nuclear weapons programmes. Except no missiles will ever be fired, and a winner will never be declared – because that would be unprofitable.

But the most shocking aspect of this is one financial institution so far not mentioned: the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS).

RBS are also financiers of the VEB bank who fund Russia’s nuclear submarines – and they also invest or part-own seven companies directly contracted to Trident. What is most deplorable about this is the fact that RBS is, of course, state-owned – we bought a 79% majority stake after the 2008 financial crash.

In layman’s terms? We, the public, pay for Trident directly via taxation. We also paid for RBS, directly through taxation. In turn, RBS directly fund (with UK taxpayer money) our “enemy’s” nuclear weapon systems.

Essentially, the UK taxpayer is paying for both sides in this perceived nuclear stand-off.

The whole nuclear weapons industry – every disturbed, finger-pointed warning about Russia, every argument about our “national security” – is one mammoth ruse.

We, the taxpayer, are duped into allowing complicit Governments to squander our money on an imaginary threat, which merely serves to make former MPs richer and multinational banks and their wealthy shareholders more money.

The most dangerous enemy facing us in 2016? The lies we are told, under the premise of a threat which doesn’t actually exist."

Is this true or false? there is one truth that I can confirm, the American Company I worked for made munitions for both sides in both World wars one and Two, so there is evidence of "form" for businesses to put profit before morality.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In layman’s terms? We, the public, pay for Trident directly via taxation. We also paid for RBS, directly through taxation. In turn, RBS directly fund (with UK taxpayer money) our “enemy’s” nuclear weapon systems.
that extrapolation is a bit to far.
Banks borrow from one another, what you should have said is how much is their involvement in those futile projects.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
that extrapolation is a bit to far.
Banks borrow from one another, what you should have said is how much is their involvement in those futile projects.
You will recall my caveat
"Is this true or false?"
Or should that be to what degree?
The Banks will not be unaware of where the money goes, as they have a need to know to assess the risks involved.
Nevertheless it is interesting, is it not?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"Is this true or false?"
that depends mainly on how the question is presented. To me, true or false is one shade of grey. VEB is an old bank, RBS is a global bank, so it's normal that RBS lends money that it borrows elsewhere to VEB, and there is no reason for VEB to tell RBS what it will do with the money. This is a time where a banking license means that you can borrow vast sums of money without having to show what you need the money for and how you are going to pay it back.

should that be to what degree?
yes. If RBS has taken a stake in VEB or is its most principal funder then we should be very concerned. This said, RBS is probably the largest banking group in the world outside China, it would not surprise me that RBS fund all sorts of futile projects like weapons of mass destruction.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

If you know what I mean!:eek:
There are clearly greater forces and imperatives at work than the simplistic National Pride and "need to defend ourselves" sold to the average voter.
And this seems to apply everywhere that bankers and their tame politicians have a hand in human affairs.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the Express appear to have developed the art of Misquote to the ntth degree, take this headline
"
'We'll prove him wrong' British hauliers dismiss EU negotiator Barnier's threats on trade
BRITISH hauliers have dismissed EU negotiator Michel Barnier’s threats over future trade restrictions after Brexit, telling the Frenchman: “We’ll prove you wrong.”

They never said anything of the sort, and what was said was reported lower down on the same page, no doubt the Express is relying on their readers not getting past the headline!
He added: “FTA members are very clear about what needs to be done to Keep Britain Trading. A ‘no deal’ walk-out by the UK Government, where full Customs checks are imposed literally overnight, is not an acceptable outcome.

“The UK’s departure from the EU can be negotiated to ensure that frictionless trade can continue, provided the logistics industry is at the heart of the discussions. We urge Mr Davis to bear this in mind…and work with the industry to prove Mr Barnier wrong.”
"And the Road Haulage Association (RHA), Britain’s largest transport industry body, predicted businesses will “adapt” and said any significant upping in physical checks would be “catastrophic”.

And just how are we going to prevent them being applied?
Another case of having your cake and eating it.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
But the most shocking aspect of this is one financial institution so far not mentioned: the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS).

RBS are also financiers of the VEB bank who fund Russia’s nuclear submarines
Quite a few banks have a history of immoral dealings, in some cases criminal dealings - selective banking practices in South Africa under apartheid springs to mind but major banks have a shocking history in many other parts of the African continent, most particularly those areas where massive mining of natural resources occurred.

Whether 'The Canary' is putting two and two together to make five, I can't say but clearly that web publication has some good contacts and such is the mainstream media support for the establishment, that any potential whistleblowers may be disinclined to expose criminal practices, rackets or rip-offs to mainstream journalists.

Banking is a highly secretive sector in many ways - try opening an account in some of the banks in the City you may never have heard of and even if you've got a few bob, they probably won't accept you as a customer - on the face of it, these are often very old institutions although they don't have High St branches around the country. I used to wonder how they survived but I don't any more.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Quite a few banks have a history of immoral dealings, in some cases criminal dealings - selective banking practices in South Africa under apartheid springs to mind but major banks have a shocking history in many other parts of the African continent, most particularly those areas where massive mining of natural resources occurred.

Whether 'The Canary' is putting two and two together to make five, I can't say but clearly that web publication has some good contacts and such is the mainstream media support for the establishment, that any potential whistleblowers may be disinclined to expose criminal practices, rackets or rip-offs to mainstream journalists.

Banking is a highly secretive sector in many ways - try opening an account in some of the banks in the City you may never have heard of and even if you've got a few bob, they probably won't accept you as a customer - on the face of it, these are often very old institutions although they don't have High St branches around the country. I used to wonder how they survived but I don't any more.

Tom
Their speciality being stain removal and dry cleaning[emoji1]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • :D
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Good old Boris (Some say)
"
Boris Johnson: EU can 'go whistle' over Brexit divorce bill
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has told MPs the European Union can "go whistle" for any "extortionate" final payment from the UK on Brexit.

And he said that the government had "no plan" for what to do in the event of no deal being agreed with the EU.

He said: "The sums I have seen that they propose to demand from this country appear to be extortionate."

And he was asked if there was a strategy, either public or private, for what would happen if there was no agreement on Brexit.

"There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal," he replied."
Labour MP Chris Bryant added: "For the government to threaten to leave the EU with no deal, while boasting about not having a plan for that eventuality, is completely unacceptable."

Resign Boris, you are getting STUPID a bad name

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Good old Boris (Some say)
"
Boris Johnson: EU can 'go whistle' over Brexit divorce bill
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has told MPs the European Union can "go whistle" for any "extortionate" final payment from the UK on Brexit.

And he said that the government had "no plan" for what to do in the event of no deal being agreed with the EU.

He said: "The sums I have seen that they propose to demand from this country appear to be extortionate."

And he was asked if there was a strategy, either public or private, for what would happen if there was no agreement on Brexit.

"There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal," he replied."
Labour MP Chris Bryant added: "For the government to threaten to leave the EU with no deal, while boasting about not having a plan for that eventuality, is completely unacceptable."

Resign Boris, you are getting STUPID a bad name
Boris....good timing,you tell the EU they can take a hike on the day that your boss is trying to reinvent herself. May does a perfectly good job of wrecking herself,wrecking the Tory party and wrecking the country,all on her own,she doesn't need any help from Boris.
Surely Boris cannot think that anyone would want him as PM?
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Boris....good timing,you tell the EU they can take a hike on the day that your boss is trying to reinvent herself. May does a perfectly good job of wrecking herself,wrecking the Tory party and wrecking the country,all on her own,she doesn't need any help from Boris.
Surely Boris cannot think that anyone would want him as PM?
KudosDave
It would seem that Rees Mogg is now the favourite among simple minded Tory voters

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Here is a selection of some recent comments from the people at the centre of securing a good deal from the EU, commensurate with the grand plan for 'Brexit'.......I just made up the bit after the comma but so did the government!

18739028_1631156923591292_6900418795937673753_o.png

19956002_1687891037917880_5134890829861548902_o.png

19944639_1688937844479866_5587514419501980770_o.png

18623484_1626619750711676_1938614693525501586_o.png

Farce does not even begin to describe it!

Tom

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Beautiful country and property is very reasonable!:)

Tom
The roads aren't that great. Solar panels probably the best bet for charging your bikes battery.

• Agree

Advertisers