Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
it's not just JCJ though. There are plenty more quotes where that one came from. The upper echelons of the EU are all federalists and seem to treat subsidiarity like something best forgotten.
I would accept that the high representatives from each country who become commissioners , while nominally selected by their governments are likely to be pro Europe, and maybe even pro federal, but remember these are temporary appointments and they go back in time to national politics, so subsidiary would not be off their agenda.Those people who form the civil service sector, may like civil servants else where view the public as an unwelcome distraction ( generalised view , don't hit me) and follow the direction, where they must, of the commissioners.

Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Actually the one I,ve built is loads better than purchased one. To be fair I didn't build it from scratch. Started with a Sea Doo Dolphin, which is little more than a kids pool toy with a 40w motor..but housing is nice. I,ve extended housing by 40 cm with air duct piping. Replaced 40 w motor with a 400w electric drill ( utilised gearbbox cos prop needs to rotate circa 300rpm) fitted a 400 wh battery,two magnetic reed switches, a 20 amp inline fuse...a couple of plywood bulkheads...one of dearest things was making custom gaskets for 120mm tubing...
But it works great. Pulls me along nicely at 4mph. ( fast for us divers) But...wouldnt let me take it on plane...so had to make do with flippers...
I,d upload some pics but phone wont on here..
Ps..think drill is on its last legs...only paid £16 off ebay...but I can smell ozone or something when I open hull up...but its a 10min job fitting another drill.
(24 volt tho)
And yes its just like a little yellow submarine...apart from white ducting.
Total cost...£136...similar powered Seadoo would be £2.5k...And put new stern glands in it..( glands for cable but with O ring rather than rubber block..Seadoo version £83...mine ..£6.32 plus 12p for O ring..Works perfect but not been deeper than 10ft yet...???Big test will be at 60 ft..
Wrong thread, I'd say......in fact, wrong forum! There must be a troll underwater pastimes forum somewhere that would welcome your input.....actually, change that 'must' to 'might'.......maybe not though on further reflection, at least not as far as welcome you.

Tom

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Wrong thread, I'd say......in fact, wrong forum! There must be a troll underwater pastimes forum somewhere that would welcome your input.....actually, change that 'must' to 'might'.......maybe not though on further reflection, at least not as far as welcome you.

Tom
I only stay because it upsets you so...

• Dislike

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
OT but probably more important than Brexit...

What do posters think should be done over Syria and chemical attack ?
Looks like Trump has military retaliation / action planned...
Should anything be done ?
Should UK be doing anything ?
Should EU be doing anything...?
Lets leave our arguments / dislikes out of it..

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

... It is a very difficult problem, particularly now that both USA and Russia are involved.
Revulsion is a fair response to the atrocious attack, but emotional responses are not statecraft.For once I can agree with his disgust. Just because you think that things could not get worse they can and often do, . I hope that Trump has nothing planned and it is just talk. Action for the sake of doing something will just create more misery. I am not confident that he has populated his cabinet with people capable of taking the longer view, and has sidelined those from the previous adminstration who had developed that expertise.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Could be but drill has a fan and I put one on shaft inside to move air around...cant see it getting hot in there...housing is water cooled...I think motor is just on its way out...
It does sound like either the brushes or commutator are worn

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Military Action is not an option for any country in cases like this, the United Nations needs to be the way the international community responds, and any single country no matter how big will taking unilateral action will only exacerbate the problem, kill more people and created further hatred,
And before the United Nations takes action, it needs to have an effective plan for managing the peace after ending the war.
If it cant, then the problem is not a solvable one and simply rather tragically has to be left to run it's course.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Already my last comment is irrelevelevant, the Worlds most dangerous Fool has mindlessly attacked
"
Donald Trump launches US air strikes against Assad regime in Syria with 59 Tomahawk missiles.
"The British Government has said today that the US missile strike on a Syrian air base is an "appropriate response to the barbaric chemical weapons attack launched by the Syrian regime". "

Well they would have done exactly the same stupid thing if they had the means,
this a man who in 2013, when Obama was wrestling with precisely the question of whether or not to strike Syria, said, via Tweet, don’t do it. “AGAIN, TO OUR VERY FOOLISH LEADER, DO NOT ATTACK SYRIA - IF YOU DO MANY VERY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN & FROM THAT FIGHT THE U.S. GETS NOTHING!” he said in one.

This is a man also who also in 2013 insisted that Obama should in any event get congressional approval before striking Assad directly. “The President must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!”

But he needs some good publicity as things at home are not going well.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Think we are creating another ISIS...or worse..ohdear...

In principle I agree with you OG...but there will never be an agreement at UN security council to do anything...China and Russia have vetoed all reselutions against Assad, military or otherwise..
Playing devil,s advocate a bit here...If this action goes unpunished will he do it again..and we stand by and watch.. Glad I don't have to decide..
Trump has got more international support than I would have expected..Austrailia, Japan , Turkey and UK so far..
Rest seem to keeping heads down ???

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Express isn't happy
"
'KEEP QUIET' May demands chief Brexiteers bow down to 'softer exit from the Brussels bloc'
THERESA May is a risk of betraying Britain’s hard Brexit plans after she demanded that Cabinet member must “keep quiet” and accept a softer approach to negotiations with the EU, according to insiders.
Brexit chiefs Boris Johnson and Liam Fox have grudgingly agreed to back a transitional arrangement that would bridge the gap between Brexit and a future trade deal, the Financial Times reported.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Harking back to this graph

Clearly demonstrates that dramatic Public attitude changes can be wrought by targetted Propaganda, and just how damaging a Tory internal Catfight can become.
I wonder whether the American Attitude towards entering a war in the Middle East will be affected by similarly powerful forces of persuasion?
One can only hope not!
The graph illustrates how a situation where people are disatisfied somthing on a low level basis can have that feeling elevated to crisis levels by anyone with access to mass media.

So much for the "Will of the People" that should read the will of the Media controllers.
Pehaps we could quite fairly call it
"Murdochs Law"?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with the other posters, we shouldn't do anything. In part because we in the west made complete fools of ourselves in the first instance by siding with the rebels.

The fact is the rebels were terrorists trying to overthrow a legitimate state government and no other government should support that, regardless of how justified it might appear. If and when rebels succeed and become a government, then they can be supported, but not before. The west made the same mistake with Libya, and look what an appalling mess that is now.

It seems the US and UK governments never learn.

Syria will be resolved witn Bashir Assad succeeding in quelling the rebellion. I saw that was inevitable at the outset, but not understood by our deluded governments with their obsession with a mythical notion of an arab spring.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
the Worlds most dangerous Fool has mindlessly attacked
I didn't expect Trump to act so quickly to demonstrate my recent assertion that he is a more dangerous fool than the one in N Korea.

The world is just a little bit less safe today than it was before the USA decided that unilateral action on their part was the way to go.

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Tom
...From my reading of that masterpiece "the three billy goats gruff" do not trolls live under bridges in the water?

Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm struggling with this item from the BBC, attributable to the US President evidently and find it fails any test of reasonableness in the same way as the Israeli missile, bomb and bullet attacks against stone-throwing youths in Palestine.

'President Trump said the attack was "in vital national security interest" of US'

Tom

• Agree

Advertisers