Brexit, for once some facts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I’m just stood waiting to meet some friends, watching activities in a pub beer garden. The staff are carrying food around on a tray whilst wearing face visors, no mask or anything of that nature. Whilst watching, it’s occurred to me that the visor is acting like a baffle or vane and diverting breath vertically downwards onto the food they are carrying. The face visors are probably worse than wearing no PPE at all.

I think we’ve reached a point where the medicine is now lagging behind the engineering, but as usual, the engineering is being disregarded because it’s only for grubby men who wear overalls.
If it's a Wetherspoon's Barry I think I know another reason why the staff are wearing visors.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Just listening to Johnson on the wireless doing the briefing. The man is either a clueless **** or he is being deliberately vague and confusing to avoid responsibility. There is no middle ground, it’s **** or coward. He even answered the question regarding grandparents providing child care incorrectly by quoting the Scottish rules.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Theres all the fun of Brexit on view
https://www.gov.uk/transition
There is so much that is wrong with the guidance.

The bits that are highlighted to me do not include some important things. Like the abolition of the low value consignment relief. As we are regular purchasers of various items from overseas, this has significant impact on us. Not just that it isn't highlighted but there is far too little information. What happens if VAT rates change between order and delivery to the UK? Will customs clearance charges remain as they are? Or will we suddenly find Royal Mail, for example, inflating their £8 charge?

It goes on about "GB stickers" for vehicles. But nowhere does it define stickers. The use of the term rather implies that old aluminium ones that you screw on are not legal. Surely any lawyer would have used a term like "GB country plates" that covers all legal options?

Yes, pathetic level issues, but ones that are immediately in my face because of my thoughts, plans and intentions.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if people knew then that you'll need to queue at the French Embassy all day to get a Schengen visa to go to a meeting, apply 4 months in advance for your pet passport, apply for an International Driving Permit just to hire a car there, pay travel health insurance etc -
the vote result might have been different.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This is looking rather grim
As I am reading our government white paper on post brexit UK that was linked to in your post, many of the points made are so undermining the reasons to leave the EU that it's difficult to believe that this White Paper is from a brexit party.
it tries to copy the EU's single market at the moment we are leaving the real one. All it will do is to give more reasons for Scotland and NI to leave the UK and join the EU.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
104 pages to find out what they are talking about. Would probably take me until well into next year even to read it all!

I thought we were getting rid of red tape and excessive government interference?

Michael Dougan

@mdouganlpool

·
16 Jul

15) & of course, painful to read document that denounces serious problems caused by erecting trade barriers within UK Internal Market... at exactly same time as UKGov is deliberately creating exactly same barriers & damage in economic relations with EU27! Double standard or what.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
104 pages to find out what they are talking about. Would probably take me until well into next year even to read it all!

I thought we were getting rid of red tape and excessive government interference?

Michael Dougan
@mdouganlpool

·
16 Jul

15) & of course, painful to read document that denounces serious problems caused by erecting trade barriers within UK Internal Market... at exactly same time as UKGov is deliberately creating exactly same barriers & damage in economic relations with EU27! Double standard or what.
I really cant see why Scotland or Wales, or Northern Ireland would want to remain in this "Pound Shop version of the EU" when the real one is within easy reach geographically, and the Brexit Party clearly agree a common market is the future

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I really cant see why Scotland or Wales, or Northern Ireland would want to remain in this "Pound Shop version of the EU" when the real one is within easy reach geographically, and the Brexit Party clearly agree a common market is the future
I'll just check how to join Plaid Cymru...

Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Twitter

Sir Rob Boyd KCB QC@AvonandsomerRob
14h
224 die of Coronavirus in Boeing 737 crash, according to Public Health England. https://pic.twitter.com/2wZGZ9vWVg

Replying to @AvonandsomerRob

oldgroaner replying to Sir Rob Boyd KCB QC

You say 224 die of Coronavirus in Boeing 737 crash, according to Public Health England.?
That's nothing! The late lockdown was killing a Boeing 747 worth every night during the height of the pandemic, so it's a bit late to try gaslighting this way now

Reactions: oyster

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Or England either.

Perhaps Linconshire can become Great Britain, outside the EU. Other counties could opt in. People there will have nationality as 'Great British'.

The rest of England, together with Scotland and Wales can become Britain, and Britain plus NI can become United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland, all within EU, nationality 'British'.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Russian magic money tree

"Mrs Chernukhin’s total donations to the Conservative Party have reached £1,765,804 since she began giving money in 2012 despite her property company recording liabilities of more than £8.4 million and assets of only £23,000 in its 2019 accounts. "

Can I have one please? ;)

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Advertisers