Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
my fear is that the US effort to crush Huawei will only make them stronger.
They sell widely to other countries outside the US sphere while we wait for Nokia and Ericsson. the US strategy will delay themselves and us further in replacing 4G with 5G. It also creates a commercial void into which Huawei will grow their market share and with that, technologically. Other technologies associated with 5G will also suffer delay and lose our competitive edge.
The same 'open market' ideology has sold our best technology firms (Marconi, ARM Holding) our best universities are only too happy to charge higher tuition fees to Chinese students.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster and Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
In the Telegraph
This one is definitely aimed at the mentally retarded capable of thinking Brexit is a good idea
UK may already have enough herd immunity to prevent second coronavirus wave, study says
Scientists say many people may already be immune to Covid-19 without ever having caught it

Amazing what bunging them a few quid will get some so called "scientists" to say may happen
Interesting to speculate what level of herd immunity would stop the apparent acceleration of cases in the USA!

Just why would our level of "herd immunity" without ever having caught covid-19 be significantly different to the USA?

Perhaps BSE, foot and mouth or some such induces immunity?

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
The only evidence I can find is that of Ireland giving Apple a tax backhander so that they would locate their business there. CORRUPTION ALERT.
This article explains all this reasonably well at least I think it does but I am no expert on company tax affairs.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Someone mentioned firms such as STC and Marconi a few days ago in relation to Huawei, it's often the case (coincidence I know) that subjects discussed here end up in the Newspapers. Here is a section from an article in the Guardian.

"It’s tempting to view the UK’s dilemma about Huawei as an unfortunate consequence of being caught in the crossfire between two superpowers. But in many ways the UK’s predicament can be traced to its own domestic policy failures. When Huawei was founded in the late 1980s, it was the UK – not China – that was a world leader in telecommunication technology. With homegrown firms such as STC, Racal, GEC, Marconi and Ferranti, the UK was second only to the US when it came to telecoms ingenuity. But in the following decades, successive UK governments allowed leading telecoms technology companies to be taken over and sold off to overseas firms. In thrall to free-market orthodoxy, British manufacturing and industry was sacrificed in the interests of the City of London and the financial sector. "

The complete article can be found here.
That was pretty much the direction my comment was thrown. :)

It is pretty amazing that it looks as if 5G has been agreed and implementation is well under way with just three effective network suppliers. Just why has everyone else agreed to take Nokia, Ericsson and (until now) Huawei? Not even a fully USA company among them.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's down to the new FPDPR. Dealing with Huawei is a little bit like dealing with Iranian companies.

On May 15, the US government changed its Foreign-Produced Direct Product Rule (FPDPR) against Huawei to say that unless a licence has been obtained companies can’t transfer to Huawei any items or products that are a result of US tech or software; or any items produced by US software or equipment where Huawei has been involved in the design.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
my fear is that the US effort to crush Huawei will only make them stronger.
They sell widely to other countries outside the US sphere while we wait for Nokia and Ericsson. the US strategy will delay themselves and us further in replacing 4G with 5G. It also creates a commercial void into which Huawei will grow their market share and with that, technologically. Other technologies associated with 5G will also suffer delay and lose our competitive edge.
The same 'open market' ideology has sold our best technology firms (Marconi, ARM Holding) our best universities are only too happy to charge higher tuition fees to Chinese students.
The ban on using USA chip placement software is surely an impetus for China to develop their own!

Seeing what else China can do, I'll not be in the least surprised if they come up with software which is at least as good, possibly better, than the current USA software. In time, it might even end up costing China, and specifically Chinese companies, less than the USA products.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
If Russia is trying to pilfer Coronavirus vaccine research data, from the U.K., why don’t we create something very dangerous and allow them to steal that? We could develop something which damages DNA or creates other awful side effects, pretend that it’s a secret vaccine and allow Russia to steal it. Seems obvious to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Interesting to speculate what level of herd immunity would stop the apparent acceleration of cases in the USA!

Just why would our level of "herd immunity" without ever having caught covid-19 be significantly different to the USA?

Perhaps BSE, foot and mouth or some such induces immunity?
We might well find out in September when kids en masse return to school and spread it among themselves to take it home...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

In 1914:

Well, I thought the same as everybody else. Everybody said ‘It’ll be over by Christmas and you’ve got to get out soon, otherwise you won’t see anything’. But I don’t know if it was my opinion, or if everybody was saying it. One certainly changed one’s mind when we found how well-organised Jerry was compared with us for instance. And how thinly we were on the ground, of course.

In 2020:

Johnson says he wants to return to normality by Christmas.

It is my strong and sincere hope that we will be able to review the outstanding restrictions and allow a more significant return to normality from November at the earliest, possibly in time for Christmas.
If we continue to pull together, as we have done so far, I know we can beat this virus: hoping for the best, but planning for the worst, and it’s in that spirit that we must carry on waging this long, hard fight against coronavirus

That he is stupid enough to say that without appearing to understand the historical resonances cannot achieve any possible redemption.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Does anybody know of anyone who has applied to be involved in covid vaccine trials ? I ask because I see and speak to many people here and there, friends relatives others online and am often told this whole virus thing is bunkum.
They tell me they catch colds every winter, they've had the flu more than once etc so this is no different and if they get it they get it .. tough because they wont be wearing a mask of any sort, not ever.
I then think to myself, if you're so tough or you believe you are immune why not prove it and enrol for a trial.
Where I come from it's called "giving it all that" who's going to stand up and be a man, help save the world .. come on anybody .. nah, I thought not :rolleyes:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I then think to myself, if you're so tough or you believe you are immune why not prove it and enrol for a trial.
Where I come from it's called "giving it all that" who's going to stand up and be a man, help save the world .. come on anybody .. nah, I thought not :rolleyes:
There are plenty of (misguided?) people who are more afraid of potential prevention than they are of the disease.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
There's a lot of misguided information circling around about face masks too. We all know that a piece of dishcloth is not as good as a real mask, and that PP2 is a step up from PP1 but not as protective as PP3 so where do you stop and say that's good enough. Even PP3 can't beat a military type over the head with goggles bit of kit, twin filters inc.
so just use what you feel comfortable with. We're all cyclists here so wear a cyclist type that some have been doing for years to keep out the dust and help with fumes etc.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Does anybody know of anyone who has applied to be involved in covid vaccine trials ? I ask because I see and speak to many people here and there, friends relatives others online and am often told this whole virus thing is bunkum.
They tell me they catch colds every winter, they've had the flu more than once etc so this is no different and if they get it they get it .. tough because they wont be wearing a mask of any sort, not ever.
The other day I posted someone's last words (from the USA).

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/brexit-for-once-some-facts.24369/page-4027#post-569933

‘I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not’

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I’m just stood waiting to meet some friends, watching activities in a pub beer garden. The staff are carrying food around on a tray whilst wearing face visors, no mask or anything of that nature. Whilst watching, it’s occurred to me that the visor is acting like a baffle or vane and diverting breath vertically downwards onto the food they are carrying. The face visors are probably worse than wearing no PPE at all.

I think we’ve reached a point where the medicine is now lagging behind the engineering, but as usual, the engineering is being disregarded because it’s only for grubby men who wear overalls.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Have those useless ***** who masquerade as our MPs returned to the HoC yet? The last images that I saw suggested not.

How are they possibly going to give people the confidence to return to their offices, shops and other public places when they hide away? First rule of leadership, don’t order others to do something that you aren’t prepared to do yourself. They are such a bunch of useless *****. They get worse.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Did someone say that Johnson hasn't actually got many friends in his own party?

Senior Tory accuses Johnson of blaming NHS for government's Covid-19 failings

Exclusive: Andrew Lansley says ministers made mistakes over lockdown, PPE and testing

Can't say I believe it, but we can hope:
When THIEVES fall out, honest men come by their own

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Did someone say that Johnson hasn't actually got many friends in his own party?

Senior Tory accuses Johnson of blaming NHS for government's Covid-19 failings

Exclusive: Andrew Lansley says ministers made mistakes over lockdown, PPE and testing

Can't say I believe it, but we can hope:
When THIEVES fall out, honest men come by their own
They are a treacherous bunch of imbeciles. Blaming each other and the people they were happy to be photographed clapping just a few weeks ago. They are almost as bad as the French.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
well said.

Advertisers