Brexit, for once some facts.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
From what I pick up is that it is fatal for about 3% of the general population ,who get infected ..By general ,meaning without selection by age, medical condition, sex .
That 20% of those infected need serious levels of nursing care, including oxygen . At this early stage these facilities are available but can be overwhelmed. If that happens,this 20% are in grave danger and the mortality rate could peak at 6% . Perhaps an opportunity to buy shares in Lindt or British Oxygen?.
I was just looking at the BBC News web site and their figures obtained from the WHO are as follows (these figures are out of date though so I don't know what the latest ones are).
WHO data from 56,000 patients suggests.
80% develop mild symptoms
14% develop severe symptoms
6% become critically ill
The proportion dying from the disease appears to be low (between 1 and 2%).

They go on to say that most cases are never counted so would that suggest that a lot fewer than 20% who get the disease actually need hospital treatment?

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I was listening to a Doctor talking on the radio the other day. He had been doing some research on over 70 and 80 year old keen cyclists. He found many of them had better immunity systems than typical 20 something year olds. So what he was saying that if you don't smoke, don't have serious underlying health problems and take regular exercise then older people are no more likely to suffer from the corona virus than anyone else.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't seen any rice growing here... Maybe it is secret rice growing?
Maybe, you have the right conditions, mountains with icy water flowing off them down to the foothills, ideal for growing Basmati rice.

Perhaps your Heddlu should start investigating your curry houses and takeaways to check their rice sources.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
serious underlying health problems
But just what constitutes such a problem?

It is very easy to identify some things - if you are in intensive care with pneumonia. And they quite often mention diabetes and cancer. But what about hypothyroidism? Common. Often an autoimmune issue. Potentially fatal if not treated. Yet virtually never mentioned. And I am sure there are loads of other issues with the same lack of clarity.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But just what constitutes such a problem?
I'd suggest any condition which threatens an earlier than expected death due to it, so the coronavirus weakening tipping the balance. The same as 'flu for example, hence similar outcomes.

You see, like Donald Trump I could be a world class doctor. ;)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
No trap, it appears they do have a majority. I haven't been following very closely so may have been mislead by reporting which indicated a probable overall shift in political control to the democrats.

We'd need the Senate to change for Trump to be stymied if he got into power again, but there's no evidence of that happening that I can see.
Again not sure. The Senate keeps having partial elections , so the Republican party might lose a few seats in the next phase. A number of fair minded conservative voters will have looked at the impeachment "trial " with incredulity. That the Senate decided not to allow any witnesses be called for testimony and cross-examination ,will not sit easily.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I was just looking at the BBC News web site and their figures obtained from the WHO are as follows (these figures are out of date though so I don't know what the latest ones are).
6% become critically ill

They go on to say that most cases are never counted so would that suggest that a lot fewer than 20% who get the disease actually need hospital treatment?
The better statistics are from China ,where the numbers are sufficient for analysis. 3097 deaths in 80966 confirmed cases. Source .. Corona virus statistics ..an Android app based on John Hopkins data.
Again it may be underrepresented and maybe some people in China just shrugged it off.
However note my 20% and your 14 +6 % are pretty close. These are people needing serious medical intervention. The distinction between severe and critical is arbitrary, and severe can become critical without intervention.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
6% become critically ill

Shaolin Temple discussion this afternoon.

Master, should one fear this Coronavirus disease?
Not here grasshopper, we are in permanent isolation from the outside world
And there are published mortality rates to reassure the public

Then why, master is there such public fear of the number believed to have died?

Because Grasshopper, on the one hand, the mortality figures are not ones that should terrify them.
But then again, on the other hand
No one checks the missing persons register
For Wisdom dictates not to do so.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson apparently said he didn't visit on advice and in order to allow people to get on with flood responses.

Which would be a touch more believable (can that word EVER be used about Johnson?) if he had even tweeted that was what he had decided to do.

Boris Johnson heckled as a 'traitor' while visiting flood-hit Worcestershire
Members of the public vent frustration that it has taken more than three weeks for PM to tour affected areas
Boris Johnson has been met with cries of “traitor” after arriving in flood-hit Worcestershire more than three weeks after the crisis began.

The prime minister arrived on the banks of the River Severn in Bewdley on Sunday afternoon, and was taken to view flood defences by Environment Agency staff.

However, some members of the public heckled Johnson in fury that he has stayed away from the affected areas until now – instead spending the half-term break in one of the government’s grace-and-favour mansions in Kent.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/08/boris-johnson-heckled-as-a-traitor-while-visiting-flood-hit-worcestershire

Obviously, I’m working around the clock on various things, as indeed is the government.

There is absolutely NOTHING obvious about that, Johnson.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As was mine really, I can’t possibly have seen all the terabytes of data created and I’m sure amongst it somewhere there is some value.....

An infinite number of monkeys with typewriters ( my crude paraphrase )
We don't use typewriters any more.....

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We are it is said well organised
In the Telegraph today
"Coronavirus farce as dozens of planes fly to UK from Italy's Quarantine zone with no checks"

• Informative

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
We don't use typewriters any more.....
I used to maintain creed 444 KSR which had the V24 interface, if you could find a working one of those you could easily interface it to a PC and use that.

I think if I look carefully I can probably find the two tuning forks that we needed to set the motor governor speed to get the baud rate correct.

When the business moved to Texas silent 700 thermal terminals I missed the noise, smell of warm oil and the thousands of paper dots :)

(Edit) that just reminded me of the typing pool! I wonder how many people remember those.

Dictating a message into a recording service which would then be typed by one of the lovely ladies in a typing bureau somewhere in the bowels of the building. A few days later your message would arrive back with a duplicate copy for filing.

I didn’t maintain the typewriters but I had to repair the recording system which meant I could listen to all the messages, some of which were hilarious :)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
V24 interface
that's one of the things that should be taught to youngsters!
they may learn how to generate a negative voltage from a single battery source.

Reactions: gw8izr

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What does he know that the rest of the world doesn't? It will all be over by Easter? Heard something like that many years ago...

Chancellor confirms coronavirus won't alter Brexit transition period whatever the impact on business
Chancellor of the exchequer Rishi Sunak says the impact of coronavirus won't impact the Brexit transition period, with the new rules on trade, travel, and business still set to take effect on January 1 2021.
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/no-change-to-transition-period-due-to-coronavirus-says-rishi-sunak-1-6550873

Advertisers