Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On top of which UK will, surely, have to double-up approvals of UK air things?
This is an area of expertise of Tillson (aka 50Hertz and Barry Shittpeas) and I recollect him posting that the EU regulations were almost entirely derived from our CAA.

So it may not be the problem it seems on the surface.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
This is an area of expertise of Tillson (aka 50Hertz and Barry Shittpeas) and I recollect him posting that the EU regulations were almost entirely derived from our CAA.

So it may not be the problem it seems on the surface.
The words might be almost identical. But if air things need approval by both bodies (unless, I assume, the air things remain entirely within the UK), that will impose delays and increase costs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The words might be almost identical. But if air things need approval by both bodies (unless, I assume, the air things remain entirely within the UK), that will impose delays and increase costs.
There's a lot of bluffing going on. Boris and co are being forcefuly independent to try to convince the EU that we are likely to just walk away with no deal if we don't quickly get enough things our way in the trade deal.

I've no doubt that once through all the negotiations we'll work in harmony with all the EU agencies just as we've done for nearly half a century now. For most of our staff and management employed in these areas its all they've ever known and habits die hard.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There's a lot of bluffing going on. Boris and co are being forcefuly independent to try to convince the EU that we are likely to just walk away with no deal if we don't quickly get enough things our way in the trade deal.

I've no doubt that once through all the negotiations we'll work in harmony with all the EU agencies just as we've done for nearly half a century now. For most of our staff and management employed in these areas its all they've ever known and habits die hard.
You could be right.

If so, their claim:

“As you would expect from an independent nation, we can’t be subject to the rules and laws made by somebody else, so we can’t accept rules from the EU commission and we can’t accept rulings in terms of court cases from the European court of justice or anybody else, any more than the US would,” he told Aviation Week in Washington.

Shows what they think of us - the electorate and citizens of the UK. Because, end of line, they would have to accept some degree of external control.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Self-isolation - is not meant to be 100% foolproof it's just to slow down the community infection rate so health services / hospitals don't get innundated too quickly with serious cases overwhelming intensive care beds. Chinese were quite zealous boarding people up in their flat just cos they could.
its going to be an uncontrolled epidemic, without immunity for those who recover, or an effective cure for at least two years, and it seems quite infectious, I've a hunch it will become quite an issue, even if it doesn't kill that many

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Why did he turn the tap on with his hand? If he had any virus load on his hands, the tap would now be contaminated. Yet, at the end, he made quite a pay about turning it off with his elbow.

Surely would have been better to elbow it to set temperature and turn it on?

Most medical places / dentists have taps designed for elbows - he's doing the demo at home so most likely needed to turn it on by hand to start off and then using his elbow for demo purposes to show what to do if in a public bog.

Or the Alan Partridge method...

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It begins
In the Express
I agree with Jeremy! Boris Johnson is NOT the leader Britain deserves, says NIGEL FARAGE
IN TIMES of trouble, leaders must lead. But doubts are growing in my mind when it comes to Boris Johnson's ability to steer the nation through tricky waters.

Who'd a thunk it? :cool:

But the Daily Mail sallies forth in support
"
DAN HODGES: Boris's enemies pray the corona-crisis will expose his flaws, but in fact it's turning him into the PM he's always wanted to be

Really? oh dear, surely not

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It begins
In the Express
I agree with Jeremy! Boris Johnson is NOT the leader Britain deserves, says NIGEL FARAGE
IN TIMES of trouble, leaders must lead. But doubts are growing in my mind when it comes to Boris Johnson's ability to steer the nation through tricky waters.

Who'd a thunk it? :cool:

But the Daily Mail sallies forth in support
"
DAN HODGES: Boris's enemies pray the corona-crisis will expose his flaws, but in fact it's turning him into the PM he's always wanted to be

Really? oh dear, surely not
Yet again, ego-driven. Not the PM the country needs, but the one he (and he alone) wants to be. Even if it is a total disaster role.

Long time ago in Scotland a king and his wife decided they wanted to become a byword for guilt and paranoia? Or that is what happened when they wanted to be something else?

I'd like Johnson to turn into a matrix exponential.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Yes but the self isolation bit is for the period wh

Yes but the self isolation is in the eventually when you don't know you have the virus.. the Heisenberg cat phase. If on day 10 you turn green etc, then you are no longer a potential but a certified certainty. Your fellow house guest moves up from potential to probable.
‘It’s dead simple. If you believe that you have been in contact with someone who has the virus, you isolate, and it would make sense for the others who share your house to do the same because it’s likely you’ve passed it on them too.

All of this is BS anyway. It’s going to spread and the isolation advice is window dressing by an incompetent government. The only thing you can do is be cautious. Don’t unnecessarily mix with other people and up your standards of cleanliness to OCD levels. That’s it, the rest is a lottery.

The people getting the virus now are the lucky ones, the health services are just about coping. Pretty soon they will be overwhelmed and they will break. Then we you are on our own. If you need intensive care, it won’t be there, someone else will be in the IC bed, we’ve not got enough places for something like this. We’ve stood back and allowed the population to explode with people who have no history of payment into the health system. Now we shall see the consequences.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-boris-johnson-keeps-calm-but-whitehall-plans-for-worst-2mzg9q22q
Coronavirus: Boris Johnson keeps calm but Whitehall plans for worst

Boris keeps calm....sure he does...somewhere safe..

Also elsewhere in the Sunday Times
Coronavirus Vaccine https://apple.news/A7RcCXCiMTsuZeiPjW_56ag
Voluteers to be infected in the UK
Human Guinea pigs in a Lonfon Lab are to be given a form of the killer virus as a search for the lucrative jab hots up
The mugs will be paid £3500 to spend two weeks relaxing after being infected
Hivivo is the company

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
‘It’s dead simple. If you believe that you have been in contact with someone who has the virus, you isolate, and it would make sense for the others who share your house to do the same because it’s likely you’ve passed it on them too.

All of this is BS anyway. It’s going to spread and the isolation advice is window dressing by an incompetent government. Th only thing you can do is be cautious. Don’t unnecessarily mix with other people and up your standards of cleanliness to OCD levels. That’s it, the rest is a lottery.

The people getting the virus now are the lucky ones, the health services are just about coping. Pretty soon they will be overwhelmed and they will break. Then we you are on our own. If you need intensive care, it won’t be there, someone else will be in the IC bed, we’ve not got enough places for something like this. We’ve stood back and allowed the population to explode with people who have no history of payment into the health system. Now we shall see the consequences.
"
We’ve stood back and allowed the population to explode with people who have no history of payment into the health system. Now we shall see the consequences."

Good god, is this the best you can come up with?
Using your infinite wisdom it follows new borns are in fact condemned in your eyes for not having a history of contributing to the health service.
Perhaps you want to charge immigrants if they want to breed, is that your next suggestion?
Always someone else is to blame to a Tory.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
‘The CAA is the golden standard here. Before EASA, the standards within individual countries were a messy pick & mix of CAA & FAA rules which broadly satisfied the requirements. Things that were happening in certain countries would raise eyebrows today. EASA has brought more commonality and raised standards throughout the EU, and the rules are more or less what the U.K. were doing anyway.

Joining EASA hasn’t improved safety within the U.K but it’s very likely to have improved safety across the EU though.

Now we have gone through the pain of joining EASA and have a working system in place, I think it’s ridiculous to pull out of it. The U.K. have been a major player in shaping how EASA looks, it’s more or less what we wanted. Withdrawing from EASA will hurt any aviation business which has customers within the EU. I can’t see the point.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018

All of this is BS anyway. It’s going to spread and the isolation advice is window dressing by an incompetent government. Th only thing you can do is be cautious. Don’t unnecessarily mix with other people and up your standards of cleanliness to OCD levels. That’s it, the rest is a lottery.

Since (as immigration watch point out) immigrants are about 7% of the population, I gather you're referring to all that feckless native english scum who either avoid tax or fiddle benefits? I know quite a few in my affluent neck of the shires. I didnt realize my joke about you thinking the virus is punishment from god was so accurate. There isnt a health system on this planet that will cope, fwiw.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

One of your better postings. (Excluding the right wing diatribe of the last sentence).
From what I pick up is that it is fatal for about 3% of the general population ,who get infected ..By general ,meaning without selection by age, medical condition, sex .
That 20% of those infected need serious levels of nursing care, including oxygen . At this early stage these facilities are available but can be overwhelmed. If that happens,this 20% are in grave danger and the mortality rate could peak at 6% . Perhaps an opportunity to buy shares in Lindt or British Oxygen?.
The advantage of containment and slowing progression is not to stop eventual infection, but to provide a more even infection rate , allowing more people be treated over the longer term. I recently saw a graphic showing the timeline of two American cities showing the progress of the 1918 flu. Containment in one city ensured a very slow curve,and the other massive peaking. .. the Area under both curves was virtually the same.
Eventually we will develop increased immunity, and vaccination

Reactions: Wicky

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
One of your better postings. (Excluding the right wing diatribe of the last sentence).
From what I pick up is that it is fatal for about 3% of the general population ,who get infected ..By general ,meaning without selection by age, medical condition, sex .
That 20% of those infected need serious levels of nursing care, including oxygen . At this early stage these facilities are available but can be overwhelmed. If that happens,this 20% are in grave danger and the mortality rate could peak at 6% . Perhaps an opportunity to buy shares in Lindt or British Oxygen?.
The advantage of containment and slowing progression is not to stop eventual infection, but to provide a more even infection rate , allowing more people be treated over the longer term. I recently saw a graphic showing the timeline of two American cities showing the progress of the 1918 flu. Containment in one city ensured a very slow curve,and the other massive peaking. .. the Area under both curves was virtually the same.
Eventually we will develop increased immunity, and vaccination
You either accept the post in its entirety or none at all. Those are my Ts&Cs.

Reactions: mike killay

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-boris-johnson-keeps-calm-but-whitehall-plans-for-worst-2mzg9q22q
Coronavirus: Boris Johnson keeps calm but Whitehall plans for worst

Boris keeps calm....sure he does...somewhere safe..

Also elsewhere in the Sunday Times
Coronavirus Vaccine https://apple.news/A7RcCXCiMTsuZeiPjW_56ag
Voluteers to be infected in the UK
Human Guinea pigs in a Lonfon Lab are to be given a form of the killer virus as a search for the lucrative jab hots up
The mugs will be paid £3500 to spend two weeks relaxing after being infected
Hivivo is the company
Meanwhile, somewhere in North Carolina...

Trump 'not concerned at all' after CPAC guest tests positive for coronavirus

Both Donald Trump and Mike Pence were at the conservative conference but did not have contact with attendee, organization says

Donald Trump has said he isn’t concerned at all about the coronavirus getting closer to the White House after it was revealed that an attendee at grassroots conservative conference CPAC had tested positive.

On a day when it also emerged that the nation’s capital had recorded its first case, the American Conservative Union said on Saturday that a participant at CPAC, which was attended by both Trump and the US vice-president, Mike Pence, had tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/cpac-coronavirus-conference-trump-pence

We are probably all familiar with the idea that pilots of aircraft eat different meals to avoid two going down with food poisoning together. We have probably heard that in times of extreme alert, the US vice president is taken somewhere out of the way so they survive whatever happens to the president.

Yet, the current idots both go to a large gathering. And express total lack of concern awareness .

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Since (as immigration watch point out) immigrants are about 7% of the population, I gather you're referring to all that feckless native english scum who either avoid tax or fiddle benefits? I know quite a few in my affluent neck of the shires. I didnt realize my joke about you thinking the virus is punishment from god was so accurate. There isnt a health system on this planet that will cope, fwiw.
Calm down and put all of your efforts into protecting yourself from the virus. Is that keyboard you are using clean? Has a dirty person been using it? Wipe everything you touch with a rag soaked in Dettol, including your shopping packaging. Put a cap full in the water on bath night this coming Thursday, a teaspoon full in you Horlicks too. Sanitise to survive!

Advertisers