Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
that's one of the things that should be taught to youngsters!
they may learn how to generate a negative voltage from a single battery source.
In the unlikely event that one of them would want to know that, they'd either ask Siri or Alexa or Google it on their smartphone.

Then disinterested in the answer or lack of, they'd get back to their version of what constitutes living.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I remember the time when I tried to teach my children how to solder and how disinterested they were.
On the other hand, I taught my son how to program in VB and Miscrosoft access database, he picked that up right away. My daughter showed zero interest.

Reactions: oyster and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I bet they'd be thrilled watching a flow soldering production line at full tilt though, the molten solder wave travelling along under the boards.
I went to an exhibition for that type of equipment in their early days, still remember how fascinated I was watching the pick and place machines. Most stands were showing German, Japanese and Korean machines.
I knew then that we've lost the chance building computers here after the euphoria of the 70s and 80s.

Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I remember being warned about the typing pool by one of the personnel department on my first day.
Something to the effect "They have lads like you for breakfast"
......indeed they did..... :oops:
Some things dont change, I worked for the nhs once where "administrators" (the kind of dragons who's mothers no doubt dwelled in typing pools) were much fiercer than gp surgery trolls..

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
In the unlikely event that one of them would want to know that, they'd either ask Siri or Alexa or Google it on their smartphone.
That does rather neatly bring us back to toilet roll hoarding.

In the past if we had been short of toilet roll we would’ve used newspaper, quite successfully. Today they would only get one wipe with a smartphone.

Deprivation of the stress and strain created by social media might actually improve life.

:)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That does rather neatly bring us back to toilet roll hoarding.

In the past if we had been short of toilet roll we would’ve used newspaper, quite successfully. Today they would only get one wipe with a smartphone.

Deprivation of the stress and strain created by social media might actually improve life.

:)
The problem is that the British Standard flush test for Newspaper was as follows

Ten sheets of 7"x5" roughly torn newspaper sheets (crumpled) to be flushed, test repeated three times with only one sheet unflushed remaining in the pan
This was with a high level cistern flushing 11 litres

Impossible to achieve with current 5 litre close coupled suites even with a flush valve instead of a siphon.

However with training and care a piece of newspaper the size of a first class stamp could pass this test
And on the credit side it would certainly encourage more people to wash their hand after using the loo.

:cool:

• Agree
Reactions: gw8izr

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
The problem is that the British Standard flush test for Newspaper was as follows

Ten sheets of 7"x5" roughly torn newspaper sheets (crumpled) to be flushed, test repeated three times with only one sheet unflushed remaining in the pan
This was with a high level cistern flushing 11 litres

Impossible to achieve with current 5 litre close coupled suites even with a flush valve instead of a siphon.

However with training and care a piece of newspaper the size of a first class stamp could pass this test
And on the credit side it would certainly encourage more people to wash their hand after using the loo.

:cool:
There are some really good points in that, certainly modern toilets don’t flush like they used to when I was a lad!

When the cylinder was 4 feet above the pan and operated by a chain, all in a shed at the bottom of the garden it was much more effective.

My grandfather, Lancashire coalminer, had only one vice, horse racing.

Their next door neighbour, who I called auntie May, of course she was only a neighbour but then everybody was auntie or uncle back then. She also was a very keen follower of horseracing.

The toilets were at the end of the yard and faced one another and I can still hear them discussing what they were going to back that day in which particular race and how each dead cert was going to do..... all whilst carrying out their morning ablution.

In winter it was necessary to wrap the pipes in Hessian sack to stop them freezing which was a ceremony carried out each October. Starting In November a paraffin lamp would be lit each night to keep the frost at bay.

Finally, a couple of inches corner torn off the sheet is perfectly adequate for cleaning under the fingernails :)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Boris at his bumbling best

· 18h
On #COVID2019, @BorisJohnson said: “One of the theories is perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go & allow #coronvirus to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures.” This is a CRAZY theory! #COVID19 https://pic.twitter.com/usABMckLqf

Ah, but it is the cheapest way! (though only in the very short term) Boris must be tempted, after all like all leavers they aren't interested in long term thinking are they?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ah, but it is the cheapest way! (though only in the very short term) Boris must be tempted, after all like all leavers they aren't interested in long term thinking are they?
why would you want Boris to spend money on people who are going to die anyway?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

· 18h
On #COVID2019, @BorisJohnson said: “One of the theories is perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go & allow #coronvirus to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures.” This is a CRAZY theory! #COVID19 https://pic.twitter.com/usABMckLqf
My tweet was this

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

· 18h

That’s what is going to happen. Not as a result of any conscious decision, the virus will run its natural course because the government aren’t clever enough to figure out the measures needed to control it. The virus is in control, not Boris Johnson, he’s just making sounds as usual.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The advantage of weak government. As some might be aware, the Irish elections of a month ago has not resulted in any new government. The old one therefore remains in a caretaker capacity. The UK Government in contrast has a whopping majority.
By today an emergency cabinet meeting has agreed
1. No major public events hence no Patricks Day Festival
2 . Normal restrictions on sick pay only kicking in after 6 days, removed
3. Sick pay for self employed ,and no minimal stamps required.
4 Sick pay augmented by 50% for a limited period.

These latter 3 items to encourage self isolation, when due cause.
The cost is put at 3billion or in UK terns 30 billion.
These all require legislation, and funding, but I anticipate that there will be all party backing.
Perhaps it is of assistance that ones PM is an A&E doctor.
During the last few weeks the Ambulance Board purchased a significant number of new vehicles equipped to allow ambulance staff to do virus sampling at the home.
Meanwhile Cheltenham starts tomorrow!!!.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers