Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I’m still missing any ideas for what should be done better, right now.
more testing.
The Chinese developed a blood test for specific antibody and two specific corvid genes that gives them accurate knowledge of who's got the infection and which stage they are in, thus they know how effective their isolation measures are.
We wait for people who are either having symptoms or in direct contact with those who are known to have the virus. That gives us a false sense of not being hit hard but we can't know how bad is the state of community transmission.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Missed out old.....

No would’ve , could’ve, should’ve allowed of course.
Done better? how about inform the public what steps will be taken to check the situation of those members of the population not temporarily in circulation?
Are there to be area Wardens?
If they cannot stockpile food, what steps to ensure the vulnerable don't starve?
Who is responsible for local control a record keeping?
In other words we need a plan dated and implemented and controlled

Perhaps we would do better if the problem was dealt with by people capable of thinking and acting without trying to turn the situation in to either an Economy protection drive or political Circus show.

Their remit should be to minimise casualties, including the ones that are collateral damage caused incompetence, Eugenics, ignorance or neglect.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
more testing.
The Chinese developed a blood test for specific antibody and two specific corvid genes that gives them accurate knowledge of who's got the infection and which stage they are in, thus they know how effective their isolation measures are.
We wait for people who are either having symptoms or in direct contact with those who are known to have the virus. That gives us a false sense of not being hit hard but we can't know how bad is the state of community transmission.
Don't worry the Government have a plan "B"

:cool:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Missed out old.....

No would’ve , could’ve, should’ve allowed of course.
Better detailed information and advice.

For example, I've seen people ask if swimming is safe. Well, is it? Is it safe in chlorine treated pools? In the sea? In rivers and lakes? It should be straightforward to find out - even if the answer is "Currently we do not know."

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Done better? how about inform the public what steps will be taken to check the situation of those members of the population not temporarily in circulation?
Are there to be area Wardens?
If they cannot stockpile food, what steps to ensure the vulnerable don't starve?
Who is responsible for local control a record keeping?
In other words we need a plan dated and implemented and controlled

Perhaps we would do better if the problem was dealt with by people capable of thinking and acting without trying to turn the situation in to either an Economy protection drive or political Circus show.

Their remit should be to minimise casualties, including the ones that are collateral damage caused incompetence, Eugenics, ignorance or neglect.
But we aren’t at that stage yet, however unpopular you might think that statement may be.

IMO the great public simply cannot cope with “too much too soon” as can clearly be seen by the panic over bog rolls. Sorry but if the responsible authorities laid out a worst case detailed plan right now, half the population would be wantonly procreating in the street, throwing bricks through ASDA window and looting any shop containing pasta and lucozade.

The Implemntation of those local steps you mention is nothing to do with the government and party politics, emergency planning and measures exist already and whilst I’m sure they are under resourced and currently being reviewed, contagious disease control isn’t exactly a new concept. Every time a new government gets elected we don’t throw all of our emergency planning in the bin and ask number 10 how to do it again.

It’s not going to be without mistakes and setbacks but that won’t be the fault of anyone who just happens to be in government regardless of how good having someone in authority to blame might feel.

Reactions: Zlatan

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
But we aren’t at that stage yet, however unpopular you might think that statement may be.

IMO the great public simply cannot cope with “too much too soon” as can clearly be seen by the panic over bog rolls. Sorry but if the responsible authorities laid out a worst case detailed plan right now, half the population would be wantonly procreating in the street, throwing bricks through ASDA window and looting any shop containing pasta and lucozade.

The Implemntation of those local steps you mention is nothing to do with the government and party politics, emergency planning and measures exist already and whilst I’m sure they are under resourced and currently being reviewed, contagious disease control isn’t exactly a new concept. Every time a new government gets elected we don’t throw all of our emergency planning in the bin and ask me 10 how to do it again.

It’s not going to be without mistakes and setbacks but that won’t be the fault of anyone who just happens to be in government regardless of how good having someone in authority to blame might feel.
I can give you a clear what NOT to do. Claim you have done something you have not done:

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, was criticised for claiming on Friday that he had been in touch with supermarkets and that he was “confident” that food supplies would not run out. Several supermarket executives told the Guardian that there had at that point been no communication from the government about managing potential shortages during the outbreak.

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I can give you a clear what NOT to do. Claim you have done something you have not done:

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, was criticised for claiming on Friday that he had been in touch with supermarkets and that he was “confident” that food supplies would not run out. Several supermarket executives told the Guardian that there had at that point been no communication from the government about managing potential shortages during the outbreak.
I can state with certainty that he has not been in touch with the manager of the coop at Amlwch

• :D
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

The Implemntation of those local steps you mention is nothing to do with the government and party politics, emergency planning and measures exist already and whilst I’m sure they are under resourced and currently being reviewed, contagious disease control isn’t exactly a new concept. Every time a new government gets elected we don’t throw all of our emergency planning in the bin and ask number 10 how to do it again.

Sorry but we are already past that state and as I stated there simply isn’t a plan

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I can state with certainty that he has not been in touch with the manager of the coop at Amlwch
Just been thinking about domestic fowl - and initially read that as being about a chicken shack (Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack, John Mayall, Can't Fail Blues).

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Reading on another forum where the doom and gloom is substantially worse than here, made worse by he fact that a great many of them consider themselves to be preppers ( I think that’s what they call themselves) and the majority are planning for a mad max style apocalypse and they are crossing swords with each other about how best to survive... but they all condemn panic buying! One just posted that it was stupid to panic buy food and he wouldn’t be doing it as he already had sacks of pasta and rice in store ....

Take me first :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've seen people ask if swimming is safe. Well, is it?
Of course it's not.

Between roughly 500 to as many as 1000 people are drowned each year in UK waters. The great majority of them can swim, which is often why they were in the water in the first place.

Non swimmers avoid anything deeper than a bath so very rarely drown.

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Of course it's not.

Between roughly 500 to as many as 1000 people are drowned each year in UK waters. The great majority of them can swim, which is often why they were in the water in the first place.

Non swimmers avoid anything deeper than a bath so very rarely drown.
On a technical note we used to advise against alcoholic drinks in whirlpool/jacuzzi baths as people tended to go into a stupor and drown!

• Informative

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
more testing.
Problem is asymptomatic carriers not realising they've got it (an antibody test if it becomes available will be handy) - either as its incubating and they;re infective or not showing any or only mild symptoms. Could be about 20% folk like this and they'll be the super spreaders.

Ideally we need a Crimbo type period again where EVERYONE just holes up for a fortnight - unfortunately due to practical and economic reasons that won't occur until its well underway (see Italy*)

* In a televised address on Monday, PM Mr Conte said that the best thing for the citizens of Italy was to stay at home.

Still long term we should see a freeing up of property as folk shuffle off this mortal coil, plus an upward blip in divorce / birth rate after isolation down the line .

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Be fair it is only a little one... I was in there last summer
Was that before or after the refurb, it’s really good now. It’s a touch expensive but I prefer to use it or .....

Then again Lidl and Aldi provides most stuff and an interesting isle in the middle to keep me occupied whilst ‘Er indoors and her mother wander round in a seemingly aimless fashion

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
On a technical note we used to advise against alcoholic drinks in whirlpool/jacuzzi baths as people tended to go into a stupor and drown!
I don't think alcohol was involved but partner's sort-of father died in the hot tub. And wasn't found for a while. :(

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
*Psssss!* Mersea Rd co-op fully stocked on Friday and popped in this evening and still plenty of bog roll...

I've previously linked to NHS Epidemic plans a while back - where the govt is and will struggle is inimplementing parts esp with staffing which in the plans is all a bit hand wavy. China shipped in reinforcement docs and nurses from around the country in a mass mobilisation to effected areas cos they can. Will be Interesting to see how Italian healthcare frontline copes as a week ago is was already described at breaking point and its only getting worse.

Reactions: gw8izr

Advertisers