Brexit, for once some facts.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I really don't want a tory to win. I really don't want brexit. Assume same parties stand. Advice, please?
I'm in the same position as you, I usually vote labour but don't like the way they have been taken over by the hard left. I would describe my politics as slightly left of centre but which party with a reasonable chance of winning should I vote for.

If we take part in the EU elections then I will be very tempted to vote for the new TIG.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The number of people saying, in varying forms of words, just get on with it/I'm sick of it, is concerning in many ways. Perhaps they don't realise that if they want to get to the end, they need to revoke A50. Anything that goes forward into a brexit will entail years of leaving processes - even if it were to start with a dramatic no-deal exit.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Perhaps they don't realise that if they want to get to the end, they need to revoke A50.
that's the unfortunate truth of the brexit process.
Any brexit involves lengthy negotiation with the EU for a trade deal and sort out NI border. Customs union is still the quickest deal.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The number of people saying, in varying forms of words, just get on with it/I'm sick of it, is concerning in many ways. Perhaps they don't realise that if they want to get to the end, they need to revoke A50. Anything that goes forward into a brexit will entail years of leaving processes - even if it were to start with a dramatic no-deal exit.
I still find the edutainment value of a crash out no deal interesting.

Let's see, we get out of one deal that set us up for life in the big bad world and swap that for this situation.

Suddenly we are relying on Foxy to go out there and wow the crowds of Foreign country leaders with his simply irresistible Trade deal faster than the country goes bankrupt.
I doubt whether even the hero of the Conservative Party Policy think tank ,
Dr Goebbels could pull than one off!

And he needs to do this to equal or excel the following situation that thanks to our membership of the European Union, we benefit from free trade agreements with 50 countries around the world

He could do with a little additional help, say Boris or that nice Channel Ferries expert MP Mr Fayling (Oops) Grayling as assistants

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and POLLY

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Tim Worstall:

"Today is, or should be, Brexit Day, the moment we leave the European Union as that plurality voted for. As the government itself actually announced two years ago. So, are we leaving? Are we ‘eck. The entire political class is consumed with pimple picking in the mirror as they await their call to twirl upon the stage and nothing more.

So, where is that competent government?

This being a useful lesson for those who would have more government of course. Those who would nationalise rail, or determine the diet of the nation, use politics to usher in some golden age of social justice perhaps. Politics actually runs to enable those twirls, that pimple picking. Any ability to do something is purely coincidental.

Which, even if we’ve not got our Brexit yet is a useful thing to remind ourselves of. Politics and politicians aren’t a good way of doing something. Seriously, we asked them to leave a note out for the Brussels milkman, nothing today please, and they’ve not even managed to get that right."

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
It sounds like she is going for it again.

Shortly after yesterday’s defeat, I jokingly posted that she should immediately announce a fourth attempt at getting her deal approved. I did this thinking that no one, anywhere, ever, could be so stubbornly stupid, blinkered and fixated to even entertain a barely perceptible filament of this idea in their mind.

Does anyone know if the Queen can intervene and have May carted off the the nut house? She needs to be strapped to a table and juiced.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It sounds like she is going for it again.

Shortly after yesterday’s defeat, I jokingly posted that she should immediately announce a fourth attempt at getting her deal approved. I did this thinking that no one, anywhere, ever, could be so stubbornly stupid, blinkered and fixated to even entertain a barely perceptible filament of this idea in their mind.

Does anyone know if the Queen can intervene and have May carted off the the nut house?
If only!
And to think we keep being warned of repeated referendums!
Why doesn't HM the Q say enough times already? you can't keep trying this again and again!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and 50Hertz

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Tim Worstall:

"Today is, or should be, Brexit Day, the moment we leave the European Union as that plurality voted for. As the government itself actually announced two years ago. So, are we leaving? Are we ‘eck. The entire political class is consumed with pimple picking in the mirror as they await their call to twirl upon the stage and nothing more.

This being a useful lesson for those who would have more government of course. Those who would nationalise rail, or determine the diet of the nation, use politics to usher in some golden age of social justice perhaps. Politics actually runs to enable those twirls, that pimple picking. Any ability to do something is purely coincidental.

Which, even if we’ve not got our Brexit yet is a useful thing to remind ourselves of. Politics and politicians aren’t a good way of doing something. Seriously, we asked them to leave a note out for the Brussels milkman, nothing today please, and they’ve not even managed to get that right."
Not quite,what it proves is that politicians should not continue to make policies and promises on decisions of the public that were proved to have have been illegally manipulated, and continued to use that illegal result as justification, once they knew it was.
Once that fact was revealed they should have re run the referendum.
The only way out now is to do so again.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Tim Worstall:

It’s high time we realised that leaving the EU is impossible. Not least because we have too many cowards. I think our society would break down. I really do. Time to hand over the keys of HMS UK and ask them kindly if they could do everything for us. We have regressed into a country of toddlers capable only of tantrums.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If only!
Why doesn't HM the Q say enough times already? you can't keep trying this again and again!
Immediately after a GE, the queen has the role of selecting a person to form a government. This is done on the basis, so we are told, that they appear able to do so. What we have right now is a PM demonstrating inability to keep a government together. Surely that ends up very close to where someone else would have to be invited? (In logical terms, if not constitutional.)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What I don't understand is why the Tory papers are allowed without anyone speaking out against them , to keep pushing the No deal scenario, yet never actually even bother to "sell" it to the faithful, is this based on the assumption that they are too thick to comprehend?

It is always presented as somehow the obvious and simple way out that remainers try to sabotage Brexit with.
No way will these papers reveal the true complexity that this arbitrary act will bring down on us.
What is in it for these people? what profit?

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
If only!
And let's be honest if she does scrape it through the result was obtained under duress which like the Referendum before it should be declared null and void.
Both of them are in law
Politicians aren't a good way of doing things, eh?
Do you have anything else in mind?
Jackboots being in fashion perchance?
Good point. If it is argued that a repeat of the referendum isn’t necessary, why is it we now face a fourth repeat of May’s stupid deal?

There has been a greater change in the nature and circumstances of Brexit than there been to May’s deal, so why can’t we have referendum (2) instead of May deal (4)?

An MP said that May’s first two attempts at getting her deal through equated to persuading someone to sell their house and move to a less desirable area. The amended version yesterday equated to agreeing to sell your house, but not being told where you are moving to. What is she going to try this time?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It’s high time we realised that leaving the EU is impossible. Not least because we have too many cowards. I think our society would break down. I really do. Time to hand over the keys of HMS UK and ask them kindly if they could do everything for us. We have regressed into a country of toddlers capable only of tantrums.
We have reached this situation because the public had been brainwashed against the EU by a generation long campaign of disinformation while the Tory's sold off the family silver and de industrialised the country.
So the public voted against the EU not knowing they had the wrong target.
It's known technically as the era of Conservative Government Propaganda, and you are part of it, doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside?
Your weapon of choice backfired against you and now you have run out of feet to shoot!
This is a disaster brought to us all by the Tory party ,none other.
You are wrong about too many cowards, there were too many Conservatives, they put themselves in a Brexit box and like trapped rats, they fight

Advertisers