Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Either cancel Brexit or give the Public a referendum, for what is the use of a General election to define the Brexit issue when there is no chance of any party opposing it being elected
The last GE resulted in:

Conservative Stephen Crabb 18,302 43.4 +3.0
Labour Philippa Thompson 17,988 42.6 +14.5
Plaid Cymru Owain Llŷr Williams 2,711 6.4 +0.2
Independent Chris Overton 1,209 2.9 -6.3
Liberal Democrat Bob Kilmister 1,106 2.6 +0.7
UKIP Susan Bale 850 2.0 -8.5
The New Society of Worth Rodney Maile 31 0.1 N/A

I really don't want a tory to win. I really don't want brexit. Assume same parties stand. Advice, please?

PC and end up with my vote having little to no influence?
Labour and see my vote used to endorse something other than remain?
Independent or Lib Dem with even less influence?
UKIP which obviously doesn't meet my remain criterion?
Or a party that is hard to fathom and got forgettably few votes?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
she will, in a week time.
This time, JC will be her valiant knight in shining armour.
Mmm yes, you could be mine, tonight and every night
I will be your knight in shining armor
Coming to your emotional rescue
You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine

Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Mmm yes, you could be mine, tonight and every night
Coming to your emotional rescue

Riding across the desert on a fine Arab charger
Oyster, put the joint out.

Reactions: gray198

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The last GE resulted in:

I really don't want a tory to win. I really don't want brexit. Assume same parties stand. Advice, please?

Good point. Nearly everyone will be in a similar predicament made worse by MPs being able to vote against their own manifest which got them there in first place. Its going to be a shambles for years,probably made worse by a GE..

Anybody else wondered how Blair would have dealt with Bercow. A walk in woods perhaps, like the one poor Dr Kelly went on.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
It's easy to forget what this is actually like for the EU members - seeing as forums like this always end up solely focussed inwardly - the core group identity - the UK in this instance.

But imagine: The EU is losing its strongest military power, its second-largest economy and its premier financial centre where more than half of all Eurozone borrowing and equity issue occurs.

It is also losing a member state with enough votes under qualified majority voting to change the balance of power within the Council of Ministers.

These are not easy times for EU members.

The other thing I was thinking is that the reason this issue raises such strong emotions - is that the issue brings identity into question. And whenever you touch on people's identity you're going to find it almost impossible not to touch a nerve.

Interesting times huh?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It's easy to forget what this is actually like for the EU members - seeing as forums like this always end up solely focussed inwardly - the core group identity - the UK in this instance.

But imagine: The EU is losing its strongest military power, its second-largest economy and its premier financial centre where more than half of all Eurozone borrowing and equity issue occurs.

It is also losing a member state with enough votes under qualified majority voting to change the balance of power within the Council of Ministers.

The other thing I was thinking is that the reason this issue raises such strong emotions - is that the issue brings identity into question. And whenever you touch on people's identity you're going to find it almost impossible not to touch a nerve.

Interesting times huh?
Good post.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Interesting times huh?
Taking all that into account you have too question why when we were in so powerful position of power and influence, we allowed fools to bring us to Brexit that clearly only serves a few nutters and of course outside states that want to destabilise the EU?
Who are these lunatics? how are we to rid ourselves of their pernicious influence?
They are gifting Europe into becoming a German led superstate.
How on Earth is that to our advantage?
Behold the monster you've created.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Good post.
Only if you lack an understanding of how the politics of Europe operate, it's ignoring too many facts to be anything other that narcissistic nonsense.
We have swopped a position of power and influence within the EU for no advantage whatsoever to the future of the nation just to gratify a group of thieves and parasites

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Interesting times huh?
As long as the UK remains in the exit lobby,it has no voice in the European Council, so qualified majority does not count!.
Now whether the EU is losing its strongest Military power is debatable. The UK is strong, but so also are in ascending order ,Spain,Italy, Germany and France. And collectively much stronger.
The loss of coverage over the North quadrant is highly undesirable.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Only if you lack an understanding of how the politics of Europe operate, it's ignoring too many facts to be anything other that narcissistic nonsense.
We have swopped a position of power and influence within the EU for no advantage whatsoever to the future of the nation just to gratify a group of thieves and parasites
Are you ever in a good mood?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As long as the UK remains in the exit lobby,it has no voice in the European Council, so qualified majority does not count!.
Now whether the EU is losing its strongest Military power is debatable. The UK is strong, but so also are in ascending order ,Spain,Italy, Germany and France. And collectively much stronger.
The loss of coverage over the North quadrant is highly undesirable.
Which is why Vladimir invested so heavily in Brexit

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Today's leave demo was their best yet
"
Brexit: Leave supporters rally outside Parliament
Perhaps tommorows will be better?
Thousands of Leave supporters are in Westminster protesting against the delay to Brexit, on the day the UK had been due to leave the EU.

Some protesters reacted with cheers, while others shouted "shame on you", as MPs rejected Prime Minister Theresa May's EU withdrawal agreement.

The March to Leave - which began in Sunderland two weeks ago - arrived in Parliament Square on Friday afternoon.

A separate Make Brexit Happen rally, organised by UKIP, was also held.

The rally was backed by English Defence League founder Tommy Robinson, who spoke to crowds, along with UKIP leader Gerard Batten.

Meanwhile, at the March to Leave protest, former UKIP leader Nigel Farage and Tory Brexiteer MP Mark Francois delivered speeches.

Sisters Beatrice Grant and Alice Grant joined the march on Friday

And so did you know who and lots of others too but not enough by the aerial photos

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The last GE resulted in:

If Philippa is a remainer at heart, do as we did in my constituency in the 2017 GE. That had long been a marginal swinging either way by very small margins, and the incumbent was the repugnant Tory insider Gavin Barwell with 167 majority.

So we had a big Labour and Momentum campaign to get all the Labour vote out to elect Labour candidate Sarah Jones who is a Remainer. It worked, Sarah won with over 5600 majority, a record, and Barwell, out of a job, became an aide to Theresa May in Downing Street, helping her to mess up Brexit.

We'd sent a message, we really didn't like the way the Tories had been running the show or Barwell's obsequious grovelling in Parliament.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Advertisers