Brexit, for once some facts.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
import duty if we have no deal:
87% of goods will have zero tariff for one year, 13% presumably wheat, beef, lamb and seafoods will have WTO tariff.
No checks at the NI border for one month.
If e-bike has zero tariff, I can cut my bike prices by £150 on average.

Fingers fingers are crossed.

Will be buying soon I hope.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
As I said a person of even average intelligence who wasn't looking to pick fault would have understood.
Its nothing at all to do with understanding passage, its all to do with where it came from. Not only did you not put quote in speech marks, say it was a quote or anything of kind, but you also infered it was your prose by saying "I, ll end there". But as normal, instead of apologising and admitting you should have made origin clear you defend it, argue and insult. As fingers suggests, you really are unhinged and a complete PITA.

The passage was lifted frim Daily Mirror. Fact.

• Disagree
Reactions: Wicky and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Anti dumping,to state the obvious,being about preventing material injury to domestic manufacturing through dumping. I know we dont produce ebikes,but cant you just envisage the race to the bottom that follows. Brompton will not happen again, nor a lot of tertiary manufacturing.
It wasn't dumping.....it was protectionism by the Italian and German e-bike assemblers.....note assemblers because most of the components were procured from China.
The definition of dumping is when a product sold for export is priced less than in the home market....you can buy an e-bike in chinese supermarket for 200 USD.
The chinese were just more competitive at assembling the bikes.
Brompton is hopelessly uncompetitive,sending every individual bike set out to a painter 100 miles away is crazy. If the duty on vanilla bikes were deleted Dahon would take Brompton to pieces.
I have a new chinese manufactured product at the moment which is superior to the UK product,yet retails at half the price. The UK manufacturer is having to think twice about ordering new Aston Martins for their directors!!!
KudosDave

• Informative
Reactions: OxygenJames

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I see Liam Fox has already had to unwind his WTO tariff on dairy and meat products from Ireland to N.Ireland....someone has obviously told him that could cause a war. So he is now saying that their will be WTO tariffs on all imports of these products except Ireland to N.Ireland.....these guys are just plain thick!....surely any shipper would then ship everything into N.Ireland rather than ship it direct to the UK....that would make N.Ireland the smuggling capital of the UK.....anyway it probably breaks WTO rules.
This government are frightening in their stupidity and are getting worse!!!
KudosDave

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Anti dumping,to state the obvious,being about preventing material injury to domestic manufacturing through dumping. I know we dont produce ebikes,but cant you just envisage the race to the bottom that follows. Brompton will not happen again, nor a lot of tertiary manufacturing.
What is this 'race to the bottom' bollccks? Oh sure I know the term - but it's still bollccks.

All it means is that some people who want the cheapest there is - and can't afford anymore - can get a basic version - whereas before they couldn't.

It does NOT mean that all the quality goods suddenly disappear off the market - it just means manufacturers who've been making profits based on anything other than VALUE FOR MONEY - get punished.

Which is a good thing. Right?

Well it should be - but you just watch people argue for the opposite. Usually the ones like Brompton Directors wondering which AM to buy.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But, but you said it was going to happen.

What went wrong?
The fat lady hasn't sung yet, even though the skinny one has been hoarsely squawking a lot.

An extension could yet see May's deal accepted later, given that the Commons doesn't want No Deal.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Daily Mirror utilises a reading age of 9,actually well below average so you should be just about OK.
And you posted link, its your job to spot its inaccuracies, not readers. Very poor OG on numerous counts.
Perhaps the problem you had ws that you haven't reached the reader age of nine!
You gave your reading age away with this statement
"What do you mean "I, ll stop there". You have cut and paste the entire article. Its a good one and I was going to compliment you an your post until I read the link.

And I might add this from the man who complained that I missed out quote marks, bt apparently can't spell the word "and"?
And "I,ll" should have been "I'll"?
Come off it, you are no one to criticise me, are you?
You know it's really time you stopped picking faults with others when yours are so obvious.
I made a simple post, yet you had t try to score points and made an ass of yourself in the process, what's your problem?

Reactions: Wicky

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
All this sniping gentlemen. I dont know about you, but i had a hematochezia of a week so far. All failure and conflict and inadequacy. But surely there are more creative meaningful ways to compensate for that?
Note from whom the sniping originated, it wasn't me, and he takes every opportunity to do so. No matter what I post, this happens, he needs to stop doing it.
His problem is I called him out for forging one of my posts, and he didn't like it. he even did it again.
He never apologised, just tried to joke his way out of it and that tells you all you need to know, and now he bears a grudge, hence these silly point scoring posts.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The fat lady hasn't sung yet, even though the skinny one has been hoarsely squawking a lot.

An extension could yet see May's deal accepted later, given that the Commons doesn't want No Deal.
I can see her dreaming up her version of the customs union and that will get through parliament....the ERG will throw their toys out but todays no deal vote on a free vote will reveal how many there are.....max 50 ? maybe less.
KudosDave

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What is this 'race to the bottom' bollccks? Oh sure I know the term - but it's still bollccks.

All it means is that some people who want the cheapest there is - and can't afford anymore - can get a basic version - whereas before they couldn't.

It does NOT mean that all the quality goods suddenly disappear off the market - it just means manufacturers who've been making profits based on anything other than VALUE FOR MONEY - get punished.

Which is a good thing. Right?

Well it should be - but you just watch people argue for the opposite. Usually the ones like Brompton Directors wondering which AM to buy.
You really don't know much about economics do you? dumping undermines the market by causing existing manufacturers to not invest in new models and processes, , and if you think that isn't true you have no idea how manufacturing industry works

let me give you an example from history
The Fledgling American Steel industry couldn't compete with the cheap imports we exported to them of a Steel of far better Quality than they produced and the manufacturing industry was dying.
They put a stop to that with massive Tariffs on our steel
Result , huge expansion of American Steel production and exports and in the end mortal damage to our own

Where are you getting this cockeyed view of economic reality from, the Adam Smith institute?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can see her dreaming up her version of the customs union and that will get through parliament....the ERG will throw their toys out but todays no deal vote on a free vote will reveal how many there are.....max 50 ? maybe less.
KudosDave
I reckon 150 will vote for no deal.
There are other motions too, one motion is to negotiate an implementation period for no deal.
It does look attractive for both remainers and brexiters, the EU will charge £1 billion a month, at the end of it, if there is a deal, good, if there isn't, then brexit with no deal. During the transition period, there may be GE, second referendum etc.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Are you the cleverest person you know groaner?
Since I'm the only person I can claim to actually know in any depth, there is no way to judge is there?
However I do know a fool for what he is when he asks daft questions trying to score points.

Hope this helps
I regard myself as average.
You should work yourself up towards that lofty goal:cool:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You really don't know much about economics do you? dumping undermines the market by causing existing manufacturers to not invest in new models and processes, , and if you think that isn't true you have no idea how manufacturing industry works

let me give you an example from history
The Fledgling American Steel industry couldn't compete with the cheap imports we exported to them of a Steel of far better Quality than they produced and the manufacturing industry was dying.
They put a stop to that with massive Tariffs on our steel
Result , huge expansion of American Steel production and exports and in the end mortal damage to our own

Where are you getting this cockeyed view of economic reality from, the Adam Smith institute?
Never ceases to amaze me that OG isnt lecturing in economics or steering some massive industry with all his self professed knowledge of everything. You, d never guess that some toilet saleman from hull could or should be heading some institute somewhere, but no, he just inflicts his knowledge on us, along with any put down he can muster. Its such a shame, I cant fathom why ICI, BP, Coca Cola, Virgin or Qinetic havent come calling to utilise his talents. I guess they dont really need a bog saleman, an ignorant offensive deluded one at that.

BTW OG is the cleverest person he knows. He lives in Hull dont forget.

Reactions: Fingers

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
on the subject of Northern Irish border in case of no deal, the tories will stitch up the DUP.
https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2019/03/tariffs.pdf

quote:

The UK will not introduce any new checks or controls on goods moving across the land border into Northern Ireland if the UK leaves the European Union without a deal, it has been announced.

Under a temporary and unilateral regime announced by the British government, EU goods arriving from the Republic and remaining in Northern Ireland will not be subject to tariffs.

However, tariffs will be payable on goods moving from the EU into the rest of the UK via Northern Ireland under a schedule of rates also released this morning.

The British government insists that this will not create a border down the Irish Sea, as there will be no checks on goods moving between Northern Ireland and Britain.
Now in the very short term this can work. But even if all lorries coming from Rosslare were checked to ensure their containers were opened in the RoI ,it would not take much enterprise to put the goods into different lorries and drive directly from Cavan to Belfast and the Liverpool ferry. It is a way of ensuring frictionless tariff free trade into the UK,and a Bonanza for the those freight carriers. But this type of arrangement will not survive the first shipment of US eggs or chicken meat. They will need to have on board customs inspection on the mainland ports in short order.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Never ceases to amaze me that OG isnt lecturing in economics or steering some massive industry with all his self professed knowledge of everything. You, d never guess that some toilet saleman from hull could or should be heading some institute somewhere, but no, he just inflicts his knowledge on us, along with any put down he can muster. Its such a shame, I cant fathom why ICI, BP, Coca Cola, Virgin or Qinetic havent come calling to utilise his talents. I guess they dont really need a bog saleman, an ignorant offensive deluded one at that.

BTW OG is the cleverest person he knows. He lives in Hull dont forget.
It never ceases to amaze me, or amuse me, that you and a few others including OG continue this dialogue of the deaf continually insulting each other. It is not enlightening for anyone

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Now in the very short term this can work. But even if all lorries coming from Rosslare were checked to ensure their containers were opened in the RoI ,it would not take much enterprise to put the goods into different lorries and drive directly from Cavan to Belfast and the Liverpool ferry. It is a way of ensuring frictionless tariff free trade into the UK,and a Bonanza for the those freight carriers. But this type of arrangement will not survive the first shipment of US eggs or chicken meat. They will need to have on board customs inspection on the mainland ports in short order.
it goes to show that you can't square a circle. My point is an ERG PM will stitch up NI.
Checks will be made in the Irish Sea, NI will have different treatment because it gets stuff from the ROI free of duty.
Soon enough, the EU will want to check lorries going into the ROI.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It never ceases to amaze me, or amuse me, that you and a few others including OG continue this dialogue of the deaf continually insulting each other. It is not enlightening for anyone
Yes, I agree, but we all enjoy it. Especially OG. Its why he posts, besides you, ve made your fair share of putdowns, actually including this one. Come on admit it, you love it.
And, if you really want enlightenment you are in wrong place. Try yoga.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: Wicky

Advertisers