Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have been examining the BBC’s graphic of the next steps available to our MPs, because I prefer pictures to words. Assuming they reject No Deal today, which looks certain, they have left themselves, Extend A50 or Crash Out (No Deal). If the EU refuses an extension to A50, which I think is very possible, they are left with No Deal. But they have rejected No Deal, so they must ask for an extension to A50, but the EU won’t allow an extension, so that leaves No deal. But......

After two years, what this bunch of retarded, self serving idiots has come up with is the computing equivalent of an infinite loop.

As I see it, the only way to break the infinite loop is to withdraw A50. Then hold a GE and see what follows on from that. After last night, the last two years are effectively consigned to the dustbin. If it took two years for them to conceive FA, what are the capable of inventing in two weeks? Less than FA?
Exactly!.
The result is chaotic.
The WA deal has been rejected twice. It must be viewed as dead.
The "no deal off table" vote today will have one of two outcomes.. accept that no deal is a desirable outcome,or insist that no deal is unacceptable. If the former ... Fine , WTO etc in 2 weeks. If the latter then
1. Resurrection of a deal twice rejected. Illogical as it was defeated only a day previously
2. Construct a new deal in 15 days .. impossible since the last one took 18 months
3. Revoke Brexit ...possible, but unlikely
4. Seek extension and play for more time.
Option 4 would be the logical choice except it does not work.
It is the only option OUTSIDE the control of the British Parliament.
The EU has said that it would welcome it, if it were to tidy up a few technical issues,but not a renegotiation. Anyway there is no time. The clock finally stops in June,as the new EU parliament commences in July.

Just one comment the Backstop was not the deal breaker. I listened to many of the contributions,and the deal failed yesterday because.:
There was a faction which would have voted for the WA irrespective of the Backstop. They were the yeas last night.
There was a faction which voted against the WA irrespective of the Backstop,because they hope that today's vote will lead to revoking Brexit, or bring down the government or cause a new referendum
There was a faction which voted against the WA because they want out at any cost.
There was a faction to whome the Backstop had an iconic dimension .. That group would have included the DUP and very few others. The ERG choose to use that as a figleaf to cover their reajl intention which is out at any cost.

• Agree
Reactions: 50Hertz and Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The face of public representation where Brexit is concerned

“What manner of man is this, or what manner of creature is it in the semblance of man?”

― Bram Stoker, Dracula

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Eu didn’t really play a blinder. They just stood and gawped as May castrated herself.

Yes I get I’m using tautology as bad as groaner but thems the facts.

As someone who feels the EU isn’t a modern union I despair at Mays pre Victorian tactics.

We should have started with no deal. We have voted to leave. What would you like to continue?

We had one thing to resolve as a priority and that was citizens rights. The rest was all up for negotiations.

The ineptness has truly shocked me.
It didn't shock me, it was obvious from day one we are on a loser, but then I didn't vote for Unicorns and sunny uplands, just to remain.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
on the subject of Northern Irish border in case of no deal, the tories will stitch up the DUP.
https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2019/03/tariffs.pdf

quote:

The UK will not introduce any new checks or controls on goods moving across the land border into Northern Ireland if the UK leaves the European Union without a deal, it has been announced.

Under a temporary and unilateral regime announced by the British government, EU goods arriving from the Republic and remaining in Northern Ireland will not be subject to tariffs.

However, tariffs will be payable on goods moving from the EU into the rest of the UK via Northern Ireland under a schedule of rates also released this morning.

The British government insists that this will not create a border down the Irish Sea, as there will be no checks on goods moving between Northern Ireland and Britain.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My Goodness the Daily Mirror has come out of Hibernation early this year!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nobody-wants-brexit-its-time-14117958

Nobody wants this Brexit - it's time to grow up, and ditch this miscarriage of democracy
If you have to blackmail someone into doing it, the chances are it's not a good idea.

If you have to blackmail the Prime Minister, Cabinet and Parliament; threaten your friends; ignore the predictions of businessmen, scientists and experts; commit the grossest breach of campaign finance law in history; steal people's data' rely on Russian bots, fake news algorithms and racists; paint lies on a bus and keep Chris Grayling in a job because he was one of the people who thought this was all a great idea, then it's almost certainly a festering dungheap of a plan and it should be ditched before the cack hits the spreading device.

On June 23, 2016, 26.5% of the UK voted to jump in a legislative blender. Dragging with them children, prisoners, the mentally-ill, can't-be-bothereds and the 25% who expressed a strong view for staying out of the blender, they demanded to leave the European Union.

At that point it was possible. Perhaps unwise, but doable if we had some intellectual titans in charge who could unpick 40 years of law, undertake the biggest trade deal programme we've ever needed, and unite a country divided along lines that were cultural, political, intellectual and financial.
I'll stop there, it goes downhill after that :oops:

You can't help but feel we should have employed the legendary room full of Chimpanzees tasked with reproducing the works of Shakespeare on old fashioned typewriters to negotiate on our behalf.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The U.K. is slashing tariffs on imported goods in the event of no deal. But WTO tariffs will remain on dairy products and meat.
This will do massive damage to Ireland and get the IRA to start making bombs again.
Who the hell do we think we are....the ERG think we can still engage in gunboat diplomacy....if we try to hurt the EU because they won’t give us what we want,they can hurt us more.
The days of empire are over,we have to realise that we don’t have the muscle to bully other countries.....the solution to Brexit has to be Brino.....just enough Brexit to keep the leave headbangers happy but close enough to keep our economy flowing....inevitably this will mean staying in the customs union and May will be forced by parliament over the next few days to achieve that.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and 50Hertz

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
My Goodness the Daily Mirror has come out of Hibernation early this year!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nobody-wants-brexit-its-time-14117958

Nobody wants this Brexit - it's time to grow up, and ditch this miscarriage of democracy
If you have to blackmail someone into doing it, the chances are it's not a good idea.

If you have to blackmail the Prime Minister, Cabinet and Parliament; threaten your friends; ignore the predictions of businessmen, scientists and experts; commit the grossest breach of campaign finance law in history; steal people's data' rely on Russian bots, fake news algorithms and racists; paint lies on a bus and keep Chris Grayling in a job because he was one of the people who thought this was all a great idea, then it's almost certainly a festering dungheap of a plan and it should be ditched before the cack hits the spreading device.

On June 23, 2016, 26.5% of the UK voted to jump in a legislative blender. Dragging with them children, prisoners, the mentally-ill, can't-be-bothereds and the 25% who expressed a strong view for staying out of the blender, they demanded to leave the European Union.

At that point it was possible. Perhaps unwise, but doable if we had some intellectual titans in charge who could unpick 40 years of law, undertake the biggest trade deal programme we've ever needed, and unite a country divided along lines that were cultural, political, intellectual and financial.
I'll stop there, it goes downhill after that :oops:
What do you mean "I, ll stop there". You have cut and paste the entire article. Its a good one and I was going to compliment you an your post until I read the link. They are the same thing.
None of it yours.
Perhaps you should have used some speech marks indicating a quote.

Reactions: tommie and Fingers

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The U.K. is slashing tariffs on imported goods in the event of no deal. But WTO tariffs will remain on dairy products and meat.
This will do massive damage to Ireland and get the IRA to start making bombs again.
Who the hell do we think we are....the ERG think we can still engage in gunboat diplomacy....if we try to hurt the EU because they won’t give us what we want,they can hurt us more.
The days of empire are over,we have to realise that we don’t have the muscle to bully other countries.....the solution to Brexit has to be Brino.....just enough Brexit to keep the leave headbangers happy but close enough to keep our economy flowing....inevitably this will mean staying in the customs union and May will be forced by parliament over the next few days to achieve that.
KudosDave
Quite possibly
"The Ides of March are come!" declared Caesar scornfully.
"Aye Caesar, but not yet Gone!" replied the soothsayer.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What do you mean "I, ll stop there". You have cut and paste the entire article. Its a good one and I was going to compliment you an your post until I read the link. They are the same thing.
None of it yours.
What are you on about? I posted a section for the enlightenment of the mentally lazy who couldn't be bothered to follow the link and read the entire article, and never said any of it was mine, yet you still had to have a go at me.
Anyone with half a brain would have realised that "I'll stop there it goes downhill after that" referred to the article in the paper.
You really need to work on your hostility problem.
Go away and find an easier target, I'm way above your league, haven't you suffered enough, or is masochism your problem? :cool:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And your percentages are at best awry.
I thought turnout was 72%.Leave gained 52%.Therefore as a whole 0.52x0.72 of country voted leave. Which on my calc gives 37% wanting to jump in blender.???

Reactions: tommie

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
What are you on about? I posted a section for the enlightenment of the mentally lazy who couldn't be bothered to follow the link read the entire article, and never said any of it was mine, yet you still had to have a go at me.
You really need to work on your hostility problem.
Go away and find an easier target, I'm way above your league, haven't you suffered enough, or is masochism your problem? :cool:
Well tell the lazy thats what you, ve done, not including speech marks and saying "I, ll stop there" infers its your creation. Its not at all. Its your normal cut and paste. Fool.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And your percentages are at best awry.
I thought turnout was 72%.Leave gained 52%.Therefore as a whole 0.52x0.72 of country voted leave. Which on my calc gives 37% wanting to jump in blender.???
You've done it again!
Those are the figures given in the Daily Mirror not mine! Ring them up and complain!

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well tell the lazy thats what you, ve done, not including speech marks and saying "I, ll stop there" infers its your creation. Its not at all. Its your normal cut and paste. Fool.
Wrong again it was credited to the Daily mirror right from the start and intended to be understood by a person of average intelligence, unfortunately you read it.:D

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
£100 out of the £150 was due to EU anti-dumping.
Anti dumping,to state the obvious,being about preventing material injury to domestic manufacturing through dumping. I know we dont produce ebikes,but cant you just envisage the race to the bottom that follows. Brompton will not happen again, nor a lot of tertiary manufacturing.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Wrong again it was credited to the Daily mirror right from the start and intended to be understood by a person of average intelligence, unfortunately you read it.:D
Daily Mirror utilises a reading age of 9,actually well below average so you should be just about OK.
And you posted link, its your job to spot its inaccuracies, not readers. Very poor OG on numerous counts.

Last edited:
  • Disagree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
You were passing passage of as yours and you know it. Unless your pc hasnt got "speech marks". And why "I, ll stop there".
All this sniping gentlemen. I dont know about you, but i had a hematochezia of a week so far. All failure and conflict and inadequacy. But surely there are more creative meaningful ways to compensate for that?

Advertisers