Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I’m just watching a recording of the ladie’s Wimbledon singles final. The umpire sounds like Barry White and I can’t tell what he’s saying. The commentary is all in Scottish, so I have absolutely no idea what’s happening.

If only everyone spoke like Jacob Rees-Mogg, life would be so much easier.
provided of course you only want to hear lies, but then Brexit voters do.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fake news from the Express
"
Donald Trump REVEALS what Queen thinks about BREXIT during explosive interview
DONALD Trump has revealed what the Queen really thinks about Brexit in an explosive interview conducted with Piers Morgan on board Air Force just hours after meeting Her Majesty at Windsor Castle."

Then they print this
"
When asked if they talked about Brexit, he said: “I did. She said it’s a very - and she’s right - it’s a very complex problem, I think nobody had any idea how complex that was going to be.

“Everyone thought it was going to be ‘Oh it’s simple, we join or don’t join, or let’s see what happens’.”
The President was asked if she gave her opinion on Brexit, but then he became cagey.

Writing in the Mail, Piers Morgan reveals Trump replied: “Well, I can’t talk, you know I’ve heard very strongly from a lot of people, you just don’t talk about that conversation with the Queen, right?

Now why would the Queen discuss Brexit with this idiot?
As usual Fake news made up for propaganda purposes.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Fake news from the Express
"
Donald Trump REVEALS what Queen thinks about BREXIT during explosive interview
DONALD Trump has revealed what the Queen really thinks about Brexit in an explosive interview conducted with Piers Morgan on board Air Force just hours after meeting Her Majesty at Windsor Castle."

Then they print this
"
When asked if they talked about Brexit, he said: “I did. She said it’s a very - and she’s right - it’s a very complex problem, I think nobody had any idea how complex that was going to be.

“Everyone thought it was going to be ‘Oh it’s simple, we join or don’t join, or let’s see what happens’.”
The President was asked if she gave her opinion on Brexit, but then he became cagey.

Writing in the Mail, Piers Morgan reveals Trump replied: “Well, I can’t talk, you know I’ve heard very strongly from a lot of people, you just don’t talk about that conversation with the Queen, right?

Now why would the Queen discuss Brexit with this idiot?
As usual Fake news made up for propaganda purposes.
Daily Mail rely on fact lots and lots of readers don't bother reading articles. A few have confessed as much on here !

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I googled much of this... gave up on psionic ,chasing meaning of mentalic, with its reference to supernatural and electronics..sorry but WTF... Is there a Ladybird book to explain it..
Not sure how anyone could hit agree when nobody can actually explain what a mentalic is..
But yes Mules are sterile. Must have agreed with that.
No surprise you didn't understand

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
What on earth are you on about? since when did the Daily Mail rely on facts?
I *think* that was meant to read as "The Daily Express rely on THE fact that lots and lots of their readers don't actually read articles." (Whether the Daily Mail's or those others write, I am not 100% sure!)

(Edited to correct Mail to Express. My mistake.)

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I *think* that was meant to read as "The Daily Mail rely on THE fact that lots and lots of their readers don't actually read articles." (Whether the Daily Mail's or those others write, I am not 100% sure!)
I bet most fall asleep before getting to the end of reading the headline...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I googled much of this... gave up on psionic ,chasing meaning of mentalic, with its reference to supernatural and electronics..sorry but WTF... Is there a Ladybird book to explain it..
Not sure how anyone could hit agree when nobody can actually explain what a mentalic is..
But yes Mules are sterile. Must have agreed with that.
Not deliberated obscure - rather assumed anyone who had no idea would simply ignore my response.

http://asimov.wikia.com/wiki/The_Mule

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_(Foundation)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
She said it’s a very - and she’s right - it’s a very complex problem, I think nobody had any idea how complex that was going to be.
As usual, the brexiteers were telling us how simple it would be and, at least some of them - meaning you Boris the nasty - how wonderful Trump is. Now that same Trump is telling, at least seeming to, that it is so complex.

However, I utterly reject the "nobody had any idea how complex that was going to be". accusation. I was absolutely convinced that it was an extremely complex process and, even if it went far better than I expected, had so many opportunities for unintended consequences at every step it would end up with unpredictable impacts.

One such, many patients in the UK are obtaining a certain medicine from Germany. They are being refused the medicine because CCGs won't pay. So doctors (consultants and GPs) are advising them to buy from abroad. They are even facilitating that by writing prescriptions that are acceptable. (That is, for 100 tablets rather than the usual 28 in the UK.) Come brexit, it appears, the German pharmacies will cease accepting UK prescriptions.

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I *think* that was meant to read as "The Daily Express rely on THE fact that lots and lots of their readers don't actually read articles." (Whether the Daily Mail's or those others write, I am not 100% sure!)

(Edited to correct Mail to Express. My mistake.)
Sorry, I was funning him for missing out "the"

• :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The Observer view on how Trump’s scorn has laid Britain’s isolation bare
Observer editorial
As the UK severs its ties with Europe, the kind of humiliation served up by the US president will become routine
Sun 15 Jul 2018 06.00 BST Last modified on Sun 15 Jul 2018 06.01 BST

Donald Trump and Theresa May hold a joint press conference at Chequers. Photograph: Pablo Martinez Monsivais/AP
Time and again, the prime minister repeats the same old refrain: Brexit will strengthen, not diminish, Britain’s place in the world. It is trotted out in every speech, every interview, every government paper.

The events of last week should put this ludicrous fantasy to bed once and for all. The post cold war global order is shifting and fast. Donald Trump is withdrawing the United States from its role as the guarantor of global peace. Europe is facing down the rise of populist forces. There’s robust evidence that an emboldened Russia has interfered in key elections in the west and it is suspected of involvement in the fatal poisoning of a British citizen on British soil.

<edited>

Trump is highly unpopular in the UK. A braver or stronger leader than May would level with the British public: leaving the EU means hooking our national fortunes to this caricature of a president and any benevolence he may or may not choose to show Britain. Sycophantically rolling out the red carpet for Trump is a fitting metaphor for the path May, held hostage by the hard Brexiters, is leading Britain down. We will live to regret the consequences.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/15/observer-view-on-trumps-scorn-british-isolation-laid-bare-brexit

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's a bit OTT.
Brexit means we leave the EU but can still stay close to the EU. For a start, nothing is going to change in our daily life from April next year and there is no divergence the day after brexit until 2021.
Between April 2019 and December 2020, the real work of preparing for brexit will begin. Until then, we have to kill off project fear just as much as the fantastical sunlit upland with Donald Trump's USA.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
it's a bit OTT.
Brexit means we leave the EU but can still stay close to the EU. For a start, nothing is going to change in our daily life from April next year and there is no divergence the day after brexit until 2021.
Between April 2019 and December 2020, the real work of preparing for brexit will begin. Until then, we have to kill off project fear just as much as the fantastical sunlit upland with Donald Trump's USA.
Who is this "we" you are referring to?
As far as I am concerned killing off project fear isn't a problem, supporting "project Truth" is what counts, and if it causes fear among the Brexit Voters all the better, making Brexit work is nowhere on my list of priorities.
as for "preparing for Brexit" preparing to "Exit Brexit" is a much better idea, as the whole notion is insane.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
those who live here and are not combattants in the brexit debates.
Oh, the silent victims you mean, those regarded by leave supporters as "Collateral damage"
Why should they be in favour of suffering to support the Elite?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Oh, the silent victims you mean, those regarded by leave supporters as "Collateral damage"
collateral damage they may be but excess tilting to hard brexit or remain is not the answer. The real damage is swinging from one side to the other, nobody is going to risk their investment.
If you remember the solution to closing doors in high school physics, there is an optimal setting for the door to close quickly without swinging.
Chequers solution is pretty much it.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
collateral damage they may be but excess tilting to hard brexit or remain is not the answer. The real damage is swinging from one side to the other, nobody is going to risk their investment.
If you remember the solution to closing doors in high school physics, there is an optimal setting for the door to close quickly without swinging.
Chequers solution is pretty much it.
There is only one answer to a question that equates to putting your head in a lion's mouth and biting it's tongue.
Don't do it.
And that is the only sensible answer to Brexit....none other...

Ther simply isn't a good enough reason to commit to this folly, and even less reason to try to make it work.
Let it founder, then with it out of the way, we can make a new start.
The cost will be enormous, but trying to make it work will be even more destructive.

Last edited:

Advertisers