Brexit, for once some facts.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Exactly... There is no place. Without putting a tooth in it, the UK will be in the wild west. ,Not subject to any external laws or arbitration, which THEY HAVE NOT SIGNED UP TO. , And therefore without the protection that membership provides.
Like back in the good old days of the colonies old chap... Things were better then, none of this consumer or worker protection fluff. Think the UK could start dumping plutonium in the Irish sea again. Pardon? Oh you mean they never really stopped?...

Reactions: robdon and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
View attachment 25834

You are missing his links to the super natural to make your invalid point though OG..
I believe psionic is one of his constructs from series of works mentioned. Its bull sh! te.
If some ancient Greek had written a story which had silver cylinders carrying people at high speed round the world, it could have been taken as a "What if we could get from Athens to Delhi in a few hours?". No-one would hold the writer to designing the technology, showing it could work, even theoretically.

Asimov was, I believe, simply using a word to tag some way in which the aberrant Mule was able to do things not understood by others, and not available to others even had they understood them.

The issue being that any plan, such as that originated by Hari Seldon, can only ever take account of how things are known to happen, processes that are at least identifiable even if not fully understood. The Mule was something else and could never have been planned for.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well go ahead OG please explain the hidden meaning in psionic and mentalic. Author was inviting all you worthy academics to feel superior attempting an explanation. It's you missing the point,, unless of course you can explain both concepts.
He was putting 2 fingers up to academia.
I did, it was a literary device to enable a social scenario the be postulated and examined, I think you have just about flogged this to death by now, as usual.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If some ancient Greek had written a story which had silver cylinders carrying people at high speed round the world, it could have been taken as a "What if we could get from Athens to Delhi in a few hours?". No-one would hold the writer to designing the technology, showing it could work, even theoretically.

Asimov was, I believe, simply using a word to tag some way in which the aberrant Mule was able to do things not understood by others, and not available to others even had they understood them.

The issue being that any plan, such as that originated by Hari Seldon, can only ever take account of how things are known to happen, processes that are at least identifiable even if not fully understood. The Mule was something else and could never have been planned for.
And of course the legends of "Vimanas" in the Bhagavad Vita that attempted to describe flying machines as if they had been observed, attributing magical properties to something that eventally came to pass through science.

Adopting a scornful attitude because something doesn't fit in with your prejudices tends to be no defence when as history proves
If an Idea can be formulated, no matter how far fetched,that science declares to be Rubbish,
Then sooner or later some prat of an Engineer with the magical "Knack" will create a working prototype, usually from things that have been lying around and ignored for years

Last edited:
  • Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Well go ahead OG please explain the hidden meaning in psionic and mentalic. Author was inviting all you worthy academics to feel superior attempting an explanation. It's you missing the point,, unless of course you can explain both concepts.
I did, it was a literary device to enable a social scenario the be postulated and examined, I think you have just about flogged this to death by now, as usual.
It's you who keeps defending utter bullish!T.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And of course the legends of "Vimanas" in the Bhagavad Vita that attempted to describe flying machines as if they had been observed, attributing magical properties to something that eventally came to pass through science.

Adopting a scornful attitude because something doesn't fit in with your prejudices tends to be no defence when as history proves
If an Idea can be formulated, no matter how far fetched,that science declares to be Rubbish,
Then sooner or later some prat of an Engineer with the magical "Knack" will create a working prototype, usually from things that have been lying around and ignored for years

The working prototype being a supernatural being with electronic communication and control by us mortals.. Like I said bullish!T.
I notice you didn't attempt to explain either concept,just offer more claptrap pretentious bo!!ox.
Just tell us what mentalic and psionic mean or represent and I, ll believe you. Till then... you are joining in glorifying contempt for academia.
You really are completely missing the point. The concepts are merely academic abstract constructs designed to show the flaws in academia attempting to explain them. He meant the ideas to be bu!!** for pseudo academics to show themselves up with attempting explanations of them. Anybody who has actually studied the bloke knows that full well. But good luck,, go ahead explain the concepts.
But, I can assure you anyone who believes they understand either term hasn't started to study them.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From CNN
President Trump calls the EU
"A Foe of the United States"
To be accurate he meant trade wise, but this is not the sort of attitude that a peron in his position should express publicly.
The logic that any competiton in trade means you are a foe is incredibly juvenile.
How can anyone trust this moron?

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
From CNN
President Trump calls the EU
"A Foe of the United States"
To be accurate he meant trade wise, but this is not the sort of attitude that a peron in his position should express publicly.
The logic that any competiton in trade means you are a foe is incredibly juvenile.
How can anyone trust this moron?
Tell me one you can trust ?? How can we have a go at Trump with set of half wits we have... and I tell you this .. I, d have much rather had Trump negotiating for UK in Brexit fiasco. He would have been loads better than May and Davies etc etc.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
A.I. may well look very much like that, though the control by us mortals might not work out so well.
Let's hope not. The Mule in Foundation makes Magneto look just run of the mill and normal. Try reading it OG, honestly it's bonkers. He was having a laugh.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Let's hope not. The Mule in Foundation makes Magneto look just run of the mill and normal. Try reading it OG, honestly it's bonkers. He was having a laugh.
I have, and understood the allegory, you evidently did not.
No surprise there.

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The independent carried this
"
Novichok murder investigators seize hundreds of ‘potentially contaminated’ items
Porton Down scientists to examine evidence, as friends of victim Dawn Sturgess plan memorial service
Search teams say they have recovered more than 400 “exhibits, samples and items”, believed to be mostly from the home of Charlie Rowley, in Amesbury, Wiltshire.

The items - a significant number of which are “potentially contaminated” - have been sent to the government’s Porton Down defence laboratory for testing.

It comes two days after investigators found a small bottle that they believe to have contained the nerve agent that killed mother-of-three Ms Sturgess a week ago. Police suspect the bottle was discarded after the Novichok attack on Sergei and Yulia Skripal in March.

But searches are expected to continue for weeks or months more as officers continue to hunt for other potentially contaminated sites or sources of the nerve agent, in what police say is “one of the most complex and difficult investigations that UK policing has ever faced”.

Not a single reader's comment favoured the official line...
And let's face it there was no need whatsoever to release detail like this unless the intention was to fighten the public.

The police should simply circulate a pamphlet detailing what and what not to do, and who to contact if anything untoward is spotted
And get back to serious but less glamorous policing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.. there was even a more basic lesson from the debating clubs and school yards.. "when in a hole, stop digging ". Scramble up the sides .
brexit may be a hole for the conservative party.
whether it is a hole for the UK is debatable. If it is, Ireland would be in the same hole too. Best to dig together rather than siding with those who'd push the UK into it.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
whether it is a hole for the UK is debatable. If it is, Ireland would be in the same hole too. Best to dig together rather than siding with those who'd rather push the UK into it.
Debatable? really? what evidence can anyone offer that it will be anymore than a gamble on a lame horse?
It isn't even as good a decision as Lincoln's to go to the Opera

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"A reporter at the scene was told a bottle bearing the word 'novichok' was found in nearby Wogan Cavern. "

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/16353107.pembroke-castle-evacuated-due-to-unknown-substance-police-and-fire-crews-at-the-scene/

I'd be more concerned if I found a bottle marked "Новичо́к". :)
Apparently the BBC has announced the "flap" is over and no hazardous material found.
Amazing how fast Porton Down has become.....oh they weren't needed.
Now we are going to get inundated with nut jobs finding Novichoc labelled bottles the length and breadth of the country!

Note to Mr Putin, as well as "Novichoc" can you kindly put this label on the bottles too please?

It's silly season folks!

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
whether it is a hole for the UK is debatable. If it is, Ireland would be in the same hole too. Best to dig together rather than siding with those who'd push the UK into it.
.. you can put all the plastic tapes and warning signs around s deep excavation that the H&S people want, but you still cannot stop louts after a nights drinking climbing into it in a feat of bravado... Remind you of something? . Ireland for once has remained sober and has made a reasoned decision. .. If BREXIt is bad for Ireland, and it is, the alternative is much worse.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Telegraph this morning the Chief UK buffoon babbles again
"
Boris Johnson returns with rallying cry for post-Brexit Britain'The rest of the world believes in Britain. It's time we did too'

Why is this reminiscent of Corporal Jones in Dad's army, when he said

"I want you to know I have every faith in you Captain Mainwaring
Even if nobody else has?"

Boris, you Blithering idiot, apart from that moron Trump, the rest of the world most likely thinks not only that as a nation we have gone mad,
but that you are the biggest idiot here!

Last edited:

Advertisers