Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What we saw from the protesters in London yesterday is the result of poor breeding and not having experienced a proper upbringing.
I don't think the protest in London yesterday was about the manner or system that elected DT for the office of President of the USA.
It was about his values and his politics.
You have Greenpeace, anti-racist activists, anti-sexist activists all lined up and remainers joined in because he tried to help hard brexiters.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The web blog, AAV, has this today and I just wonder how long it's going to take for the 'Brexidiots' to recognise what is actually going on IN THEIR NAME!

I doubt very much that 'will of the people' extends to a future beyond the EU in which the UK becomes, to all intents and purposes, an American dependency. Any greater reliance on the USA than that which is extant will render the UK as a puppet state with less freedom than we enjoy as a full member of the EU.

Another Angry Voice

2 hrs ·

In the 1930s the Daily Mail was owned by Harold Harmsworth who was friends with Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini. He used the Daily Mail to propagandise in favour of the Nazi ideology and support the British Union of Fascists.

Is it any surprise at all that the modern incarnation of the Daily Mail (owned by Harmsworth's great-grandson Jonathan) is vociferously supporting the racist, white-supremacist, ultranationalist Donald Trump, and bitterly condemning anyone who dares to oppose him?

Just observe the almost identical theme in these articles. They both heap praise on extreme-right ideologues, and they both attempt to characterise anyone who dares object to the rise of right-wing extremism as nasty unreasonable lefties.

37053033_2057099694329933_1876788669835116544_o.jpg

37196174_2057104560996113_926378008560795648_o.jpg

It's time for the nation to decide as the politicians and the royalist-supporting elite are acting against the interests of ordinary tax-paying people.

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You misunderstand. Trump and Obama both won the US Presidential election. There is no difference. The office of President of The USA must treated with respect and the American people’s choice should also be respected.

What we saw from the protesters in London yesterday is the result of poor breeding and and not having experienced a proper upbringing.
My point was and is that both Kahn, Obama and Trump were elected legitimately ,and by the systems in place . You have chosen to insult personally one of these Kahn, by calling him a pig. You are the person who choose to include Obama.
It is a little stretch to say that Trump was elected by the American people, in the first case he was elected by those within the USA, and neither Canada or the other peoples of America had any say. In the second case it was the vagaries of an obsolete electral college system which did the actual selection. Granted the same electral college system was also used in the cases of Obama, Bush,, Clinton and some 40 others, however the majority of such cases( an assertion, as I am not bothered to confirm) were in conformance with the popular vote.

Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
however the majority of such cases( an assertion, as I am not bothered to confirm) were in conformance with the popular vote.
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2000

Bush narrowly won the November 7 election, with 271 electoral votes to Gore's 266. There was a disagreement over who won Florida's 25 electoral votes, the recount that happened there, and the uncommon event that the winner got fewer popular votes than the loser.[1] The Court's contentious decision in Bush v. Gore announced on December 12, 2000, ended the recounts, effectively awarding Florida's votes to Bush and granting him the victory.

Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
What we saw from the protesters in London yesterday is the result of poor breeding and not having experienced a proper upbringing.
I think you are very wrong in that assertion and it worries me to hear people disparage those who would protest over the actions of a demagogue behaving in the manner of all the fascist leaders of the early 20th century.

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
May I be one of the first to applaud the skill ,planning and courage of the Greenpeace microlight pilot who literally put his life on the line to make a dignified protest in Scotland today.
Least there be any ambiguity, Mr Trump was there in a private capacity, visiting a private member's club, . This fact was exemplified by the fact that none of the Scottish Parliament were there to greet him.
When the inevitable happens and the Scottish Police identify the pilot, what will his crime be, who will judge it and what is the punishment?.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Interesting .. can you define "poor breeding" and your definition of "proper". .I might have suggested that calling a properly elected public official a "pig" might fail on both counts.
Hmmmmmm............ but you must agree that in your own constituency of Louth you also have a `properly elected public official`, namely Gerry Adams of SF/IRA..............
i would have said referencing him as a `pig` would do a grave injustice to that particularly useful swine family

... just sayin` like..

• :D
  • Dislike
Reactions: robdon and tillson

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hmmmmmm............ but you must agree that in your own constituency of Louth you also have a `properly elected public official`, namely Gerry Adams of SF/IRA..............
i would have said referencing him as a `pig` would do a grave injustice to that particularly useful swine family

... just sayin` like..
.. yes we have, and were he or any of his minions come to my door ( they won't because their electral profiling is so good they know it would be a waste... I know this from other conversations ), I would speak to him or them respectfully and forcefully.

• Informative

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
You misunderstand. Trump and Obama both won the US Presidential election. There is no difference. The office of President of The USA must treated with respect and the American people’s choice should also be respected.

From that position, surely, flows the thought that The Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury and Minister for the Civil Service must be treated with respect and it might have helped if the visitor had done so?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When the inevitable happens and the Scottish Police identify the pilot, what will his crime be, who will judge it and what is the punishment?.
Flying at less than 500' from persons and objects is an offence. It's not a minimum height rule, over unoccupied land they can go as low as they like. I couldn't say for certain but he appeared to be at less than 500' at times. If so, he could lose his licence and be fined.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Brussels 2, London 0... ouch...

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It’s usually the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) who investigate any infringement of The Air Navigation Order. They also usually instigate the prosecution if that is appropriate.

There are two potential offences which the microlight driver may have commented. The first is the 500’ Rule. The aircraft must not fly within 500’ of any vessel, vehicle or structure except in an emergency or in the process of take-off and landing. So there is a potential defence there.

The second is that the aircraft must not fly within 1000’ of the highest structure within a 2 mile radius of a congested area or a gathering of people. He could fall foul of that one.

The pilot sounds like a bit of a twat, so I wouldn’t worry too much about him being prosecuted. He will probably fly into a tree, the ground or another aircraft whilst showboating before the CAA catch up with him.

• Offensive Language
Reactions: Zlatan and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Breeding, tillson? unless you are referring to the aristocracy the term only applies to pigs and other farm animals.

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Could you explain why you think that?
The area in which the pilot flew will be within a temporary restricted aviation area. There is no doubt about that. These areas are activated for security reasons and for the safety of other official aircraft operating in that area. These will include the police, security personnel, news and possibly medical staff. These areas get busy and with that comes heightened danger. I know because I’ve flown in these sorts of situations numerous times. The last thing you want is a fool bumbling through unannounced towing a childish banner. Anyone who transgresses these areas in such a manner is a twat, they tick all the twat boxes.

Advertisers