Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is only one answer to a question that equates to putting your head in a lion's mouth and biting it's tongue.
Don't do it.
And that is the only sensible answer to Brexit....none other...

Ther simply isn't a good enough reason to commit to this folly, and even less reason to try to make it work.
Let it founder, then with it out of the way, we can make a new start.
The cost will be enormous, but trying to make it work will be even more destructive.
Agreed. We can stay in the EU with all the benefits that come from that, and trade on a large scale with all the rest of the world. The Germans have been doing it for decades with huge success, showing that trade agreements aren't needed, just desirable products that others want to buy.

That's where all out efforts should be concentrated, not on chasing fantasies like Brexit and the mythical "special relationship" with the USA.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
collateral damage they may be but excess tilting to hard brexit or remain is not the answer. The real damage is swinging from one side to the other, nobody is going to risk their investment.
If you remember the solution to closing doors in high school physics, there is an optimal setting for the door to close quickly without swinging.
Chequers solution is pretty much it.
.. there was even a more basic lesson from the debating clubs and school yards.. "when in a hole, stop digging ". Scramble up the sides .

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
.. there was even a more basic lesson from the debating clubs and school yards.. "when in a hole, stop digging ". Scramble up the sides .
And as is the case with brexit the weather turns and it starts to rain...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
View attachment 25830 View attachment 25831

Thought you might understand it because it's nonsense
Asimov, was a visionary, and gifted storyteller. his stories of different futures for mankind are of course fiction, just as were the Lord of the Rings, and the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe,Animal Farm from other authors.. so of course they are nonsense... But perhaps the kind of nonsense that hides truth about the human condition.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Asimov, was a visionary, and gifted storyteller. his stories of different futures for mankind are of course fiction, just as were the Lord of the Rings, and the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe,Animal Farm from other authors.. so of course they are nonsense... But perhaps the kind of nonsense that hides truth about the human condition.

Azimov was a gifted writer and endowed with a great sense of humanity. Some of his works, specifically the one mentioned, are IMHO, a step too far and do not portray any particular message. If you understand or see any hidden meaning in the quoted wiki exerts please enlighten me. My feeling is that particular work was done with tongue firmly in cheek smiling to himself saying to himself "some pretentious fool will claim to understand it". His writings on politics, religion, biological chemistry and humanity are to the point and eminently understandable. Quite the reverse of quoted exerts.
His essays criticising Nixon, religion and the Vietnamese war were years ahead of their time,easy to read , well written and understandable.
He is having a joke with concepts such as "psionic". Unless, of course you know better and can explain the term. To my mind it is inexplicable.Which of course is a hidden meaning in itself brought home when clever people try to rationalise his actually abstract ideas. Like Salvador Dali did, knowing full well knowledgeable art critics would find hidden meanings in his work when actually most of the time none were there.
They are having the last laugh at academics.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Azimov was a gifted writer and endowed with a great sense of humanity. Some of his works, specifically the one mentioned, are IMHO, a step too far and do not portray any particular message. If you understand or see any hidden meaning in the quoted wiki exerts please enlighten me. My feeling is that particular work was done with tongue firmly in cheek smiling to himself saying to himself "some pretentious fool will claim to understand it". His writings on politics, religion, biological chemistry and humanity are to the point and eminently understandable. Quite the reverse of quoted exerts.
His essays criticising Nixon, religion and the Vietnamese war were years ahead of their time,easy to read , well written and understandable.
He is having a joke with concepts such as "psionic". Unless, of course you know better and can explain the term. To my mind it is inexplicable.Which of course is a hidden meaning in itself brought home when clever people try to rationalise his actually abstract ideas. Like Salvador Dali did, knowing full well knowledgeable art critics would find hidden meanings in his work when actually most of the time none were there.
"I find your lack of Faith disturbing......"
The Farce is strong in this one.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And your imagination is lacking, the idea of implanting an electronic interface directly in the brain that could operate external machines and convey the sort of psionic powers Asimov imagined is not so far fetched these days, if you read and understand his works they are more concerned with the moral maze that such powers would convey and how they would affect society.
Very much in the same vein as his laws of Robotics which while fiction are in fact worthy of serious consideration and application.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wicky and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the BBC
"
Donald Trump told Theresa May she should sue the EU rather than negotiate over Brexit, she has told the BBC.

The US president said on Friday at a joint press conference that he had given her a suggestion but she had found it too "brutal".

Asked by the BBC's Andrew Marr what it was he had said, she replied: "He told me I should sue the EU - not go into negotiations.""

"He may look like an idiot
and talk like and idiot
but don't let that fool you
he really is an idiot!

Groucho Marx

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
sue the EU
Let us ask what would happen if TM had gone ahead with that idea. (Maybe the word "idea" grants it too great a status?)

We see court cases going on for years, even in what to outsiders appear straightforward cases. Going from one court to a higher court until one thinks it can handle the issue. Then appeals at every possible level. Possibly with excursions through further discussions, arbitration, etc.

Is he really saying that the lawyers should be them main beneficiaries whatever the result?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

"To my mind it is inexplicable.Which of course is a hidden meaning in itself brought home when clever people try to rationalise his actually abstract ideas.
For a moment I thought you were referring to the maunderings of Patrick Minford there.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Let us ask what would happen if TM had gone ahead with that idea. (Maybe the word "idea" grants it too great a status?)

We see court cases going on for years, even in what to outsiders appear straightforward cases. Going from one court to a higher court until one thinks it can handle the issue. Then appeals at every possible level. Possibly with excursions through further discussions, arbitration, etc.

Is he really saying that the lawyers should be them main beneficiaries whatever the result?
I understand that has always been his tactic. The only problem is what court?, What case?. The court is the ECJ, the only place where UK wants to be rid of. And what case?.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
IMG_20180715_141247.jpg
"I find your lack of Faith disturbing......"
The Farce is strong in this one.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And your imagination is lacking, the idea of implanting an electronic interface directly in the brain that could operate external machines and convey the sort of psionic powers Asimov imagined is not so far fetched these days, if you read and understand his works they are more concerned with the moral maze that such powers would convey and how they would affect society.
Very much in the same vein as his laws of Robotics which while fiction are in fact worthy of serious consideration and application.
You are missing his links to the super natural to make your invalid point though OG..
I believe psionic is one of his constructs from series of works mentioned. Its bull sh! te.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Can you recall the young German who landed a light aircraft in Red Square , during the Cold wardays?.
I do remember that flight. It’s astonishing how he was able to fly it there without being shot down.

I suppose it demonstrates how much inertia there is when reacting to a surprise event like an aircraft intruding into the heart of a country. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that it’s easy to fly a light aircraft into the middle of London and crash it into something, more or less at will. Same for most countries.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And by 29th March 2019?
Exactly... There is no place. Without putting a tooth in it, the UK will be in the wild west. ,Not subject to any external laws or arbitration, which THEY HAVE NOT SIGNED UP TO. , And therefore without the protection that membership provides.

Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
View attachment 25834

You are missing his links to the super natural to make your invalid point though OG..
I believe psionic is one of his constructs from series of works mentioned. Its bull sh! te.
Well go ahead OG please explain the hidden meaning in psionic and mentalic. Author was inviting all you worthy academics to feel superior attempting an explanation. It's you missing the point,, unless of course you can explain both concepts.
He was putting 2 fingers up to academia.

Advertisers