Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Care to give any examples of how we can get cheaper meat than we already rear in the UK? Oh wait, I suspect you're suggesting we'll get meat cheaper from other countries outside of Europe and in the process of lowering the standards we'll also destroy our farming industry, all to save customers a few quid on their weekly shop, whilst at the same time adding £s to the weekly shop so they won't even notice this financial benefit.
Meat from Argentina? What's not to like?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Yep, my brother just picked up an 05 plate 27.500 mls one owner, through the trade for £1750. Full history blah blah etc etc. Cars are just a disposable item now anyway, nothing really worth getting upset or boasting about. ;)
Shan like I say repeating your ideas does not make them right - Coopers with an Auto box, panoramic roof, 17 inch wheels, cruise, Harman Kardon, FSH in excellent nick - you will not pick up for £1750. Manual box no sunroof no cruise less than perfect - I can get you one of those for close to £1000.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Shan like I say repeating your ideas does not make them right - Coopers with an Auto box, panoramic roof, 17 inch wheels, cruise, Harman Kardon, FSH in excellent nick - you will not pick up for £1750. Manual box no sunroof no cruise less than perfect - I can get you one of those for close to £1000.
Not interested, enjoy your wine.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never expected anybody but myself to be responsible for my welfare. Where do you get these ideas? You expect the employer to be responsible for your welfare? Huh? How does that work? Nobody can be responsible for your welfare except yourself. Assuming you are an adult and of sane mind. What a strange world you seem to live in.
Of course employers are responsible for many aspects of an employee's welfare while they are working for them. When employers fall short they even can find themselves in court.

The "strange world" I live in included my being an employer for decades, and thankfully for my employees I was one who took his responsibilities seriously, both in care for my employees and making the businesses profitable.

You say "How does that work"? It works because the evident caring and decency is not only good for the employees but how they feel about their employment conditions being very good for profits as well.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and SHAN

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
The "strange world" I live in included my being an employer for decades, and thankfully for my employees I was one who took his responsibilities seriously, both in care for my employees and making the businesses profitable.
Same here. Looking after your workforce reaps benefits. Loyalty being one of them, and a caring society is always less divided and usually more content.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
I've never expected anybody but myself to be responsible for my welfare. Where do you get these ideas? You expect the employer to be responsible for your welfare? Huh? How does that work? Nobody can be responsible for your welfare except yourself. Assuming you are an adult and of sane mind. What a strange world you seem to live in.
I suspect you lack direct experience. Flogging cars in the UK you will have tacitly benefitted from living in a welfare state - while having the luxury to nurture these kind of uncaring ideas. I grew up in a part of Africa where life expectancy was under 45 for the general population, because the government wasn't responsible for care(health social or otherwise). I'd suggest you try it but won't because I suspect you know its terrible. Perhaps you're suffering from the kind of delusion that propelled brexitt (that one can be greedy and take everything from others while not contributing and live in a civilised society

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
More intentionally controversial tripe as usual, Employers are responsible for the welfare of their workforce out of self interest, as a workforce that dies of being exposed to dangerous substances or over work, damages profits.
That was the situation where I worked were Asbestos was widely used and killed hundreds.
People of limited intelligence like yourself hold ideas that are a danger to the Health and safety of the public

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well in a free market you don't have to eat it if you don't like it - you can buy some non-chlorine ones that will cost you more. I think they call this allowing you to make the choice rather than having the government tell you what you can buy. I know which system I prefer.
Utter rubbish as usual, who is paying you to post this nonsense? do you imagine you never imbibe water from the main supply, and why do you want to expose the public to danger?
And have you forgotten the the "Spring Water" on sale is often inferior to that coming out of the tap?
People like you fall for any old sales garbage.
More Right wing Bull

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jimod and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And doubling the price of your own car is nonsense, are you sure you were ever in the motor trade?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Yes, but online retailers that stay within the law are always going to be able to be more competitive than bricks and mortar shops, and still retain a higher margin. Local government have "robbed" shopkeeper's with high rates for years, and the staff to turnover ratio is much less for online sellers. In the rural towns close to where I live, the streets are full of empty shops.

£210 for a pair of boots from a local shop. £97 with free returns from an online retailer. Which would you choose ?
I would buy on-line with that price differential. With many items, the margins aren’t so great.

Recently I bought a new pair of running shoes. In the shop I received advice, tried the shoes on and ran for 15 minutes on a treadmill. They cost me £115, but I could have purchased them for £95 online.

I think there will always be some need for the high street shop for reasons such as the one above, but that kind of shopping will decline and possibly disappear. Maybe the big manufacturers need to subsidise certain reatailers, it could be in their interests to use them as showrooms for their goods.

I’ve also bought things from Banggood, Ali Express and the like, simply because much of the stuff isn’t available elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

Advertisers