Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
You do have a point, up to a point.. every adult is responsible for their own health and safety, AND has a duty of care towards others. When you assume responsibility for managing others , you also assume responsibility for their H&S. Why because they are no longer free agents, They are required to carry out your lawful wishes. They cannot be expected to know the hazards , unless they have been warned and advised about them. How would the plumber you employ know that you have sacks of radioactive ore stored in your shed, or the electrician that you have flooded the cellar in co2?
Anybody employed in a position of supervisor,sargent, manager, employer needs to know this . Any company employing supervisors will run programmes on their HR responsibilities.
There is a legal term "duty of care " and it dates back a long time.
I do have a point? - my word - Danidl - we must go out and have a beer sometime. Many seasons greetings.

• :D
Reactions: Zlatan

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
You offered an opinion not a fact

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
I think you'll find I offered the assessment of the leading car valuers on the value at a Franchised dealer, and independent dealer, private good, private poor, part exchange and original price with specific adjustments based on various details of the original specification of one 04 Mini Cooper (I won't go into those specifics because I think you get the idea by now).

In my book thats about as close to a 'fact' as you can get.

btw - must you remind us of what kind of mobile you have every time you post - it's very annoying - do us all a favour and go to your settings and turn it off. Please.

Last edited:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
As I said previously in this thread, I take it as light hearted banter/discussion. A few " bods" on a bicycle forum aren't going to change world politics, but its always an interesting discussion to read others views. If someone wants to get "nasty" and behave like a wasp that's not my problem, I've had a lifetime of dealing with such, face to face. My device has an off switch. Carry on.:) ;)
You almost sound like we could share a beer there Shan - steady on.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
And doubling the price of your own car is nonsense, are you sure you were ever in the motor trade?
Dear oh dear. The adjusted value of a car can easy be a doubling depending on various factors. Here. Take a look. I did not make this up. This is Parkers. It holds for many models - not just Mini Coopers.

Mini value.png

Take a look at the 'private good' value - which is tripled with the adjustments I have already listed. Any 10-15 yr old car will show vast differences depending on milage and condition - with Coopers it tends to be extenuated because the options you could buy them with were so dramatically different. An auto box makes a big difference - as does the panoramic roof - as does the auto-air conditioning - as does cruise control - and so the list goes on. A standard Cooper with no extras really is 1/3 the value as one with all the bells and knobs. Get me on another subject and you might stand a chance - fighting me on this you're just not going to win.... Even at the time of purchase you could almost add half as much again to the cost depending on the extras you out on the thing.

For a while all I did was buy and sell Coopers.

It's a sickness of mine.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I suspect you lack direct experience. Flogging cars in the UK you will have tacitly benefitted from living in a welfare state - while having the luxury to nurture these kind of uncaring ideas. I grew up in a part of Africa where life expectancy was under 45 for the general population, because the government wasn't responsible for care(health social or otherwise). I'd suggest you try it but won't because I suspect you know its terrible. Perhaps you're suffering from the kind of delusion that propelled brexitt (that one can be greedy and take everything from others while not contributing and live in a civilised society
You think life-expectancy is all down to whether the government is responsible for health care? Doh! Wrong! The NHS is a disaster compared to a whole host of other countries that DO NOT have the government pay for the thing. Take a look outside that bubble you live in.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You're just not seeing this are you. I said 'that's a cool car' with regards to a picture of a car I thought looked really cool. It was not a Mini. Get it? It was a completely different car. Just liked it so I said that's a cool car. OK so far?

In reply you sent in a link to a bunch of Mini Coopers with some disparaging comments. Now you're gone a step further and are suggesting said Mini Coopers would need to be Gold plated to elevate their value to around £3K.

I would humbly suggest that if you want to pick an argument with me then stick to things you know something about. The value of 04 Mini Coopers with an auto box, panoramic roof, HK music system, cruise control, FSMH in excellent nick - is obviously not one of those subjects.
Oh do give over, you've had your fun, and you still don't impress by attempting a put down. How about posting on topic?

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You think life-expectancy is all down to whether the government is responsible for health care? Doh! Wrong! The NHS is a disaster compared to a whole host of other countries that DO NOT have the government pay for the thing. Take a look outside that bubble you live in.
The Government doesn't pay for anything. We do.
And the NHS would fare far better without the Tory Clowns interfering with it.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Sounds like the argument people would give me in the 1970s trying to persuade me to buy a Norton or a Bonnie when there was no fricking way I was going to buy unreliable British bikes when the Yamaha's and other Jap bikes were WAY superior.

Just because its made in Britain means nothing to me. I am only interested in the price and the quality. Maybe we need to get rid of some of those farms - put something else up there (some nice houses might be a good idea so that our kids can live somewhere decent without paying a small fortune) - and get our meat from places that can produce it using less energy and resources (ie money).

This is called globalisation - it is what has lifted around 2b (billion) people out of poverty in the last 50 years and given us this cornucopia of riches we now experience in the UK. Long may it continue.
If you want that to happen you shouldn't have voted for Brexit

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Dear oh dear. The adjusted value of a car can easy be a doubling depending on various factors. Here. Take a look. I did not make this up. This is Parkers. It holds for many models - not just Mini Coopers.

View attachment 22614

Take a look at the 'private good' value - which is tripled with the adjustments I have already listed. Any 10-15 yr old car will show vast differences depending on milage and condition - with Coopers it tends to be extenuated because the options you could buy them with were so dramatically different. An auto box makes a big difference - as does the panoramic roof - as does the auto-air conditioning - as does cruise control - and so the list goes on. A standard Cooper with no extras really is 1/3 the value as one with all the bells and knobs. Get me on another subject and you might stand a chance - fighting me on this you're just not going to win.... Even at the time of purchase you could almost add half as much again to the cost depending on the extras you out on the thing.

For a while all I did was buy and sell Coopers.

It's a sickness of mine.
Then you were a terrific salesman if you could find mugs to buy them at your prices. They must have been simpletons, as they could get them elsewhere for far less.

I am not denying that there are plenty of gullible people around, after all that is the only possible explanation of the Brexit vote isn't it? when all the promises made to the public have either been denied , retracted, or turned out simply to be lies.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Perhaps you should look to the comparative statistics between Canada and the USA, in terms of health care before making such sweeping statements. Infant and perinatal deaths in particular, are a very good measure of the performance of a health system..

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Perhaps you should look to the comparative statistics between Canada and the USA, in terms of health care before making such sweeping statements. Infant and perinatal deaths in particular, are a very good measure of the performance of a health system..
"The life expectancy at birth for Americans has dropped for the second consecutive year, according to data published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The average lifespan as of 2016 is 78.6 years, down 0.1 years from 2015. This marks the first time it has decreased for two years in a row since 1962 and 1963."

Life expectancy 2015.

America. 78.74 years.

Canada. 82.14 years.

• Agree

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
when all the promises made to the public have either been denied , retracted, or turned out simply to be lies.
Remember we are now in the "Post truth era" where "alternative facts" are abundant. Right no longer means Right Wing, it means "I'm right" and if you disagree with my made up stories, I'll shout and shout until you no longer possess the will to live, then I can go and smile inanely on my podium. ;)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Met Police is Failing to Protect Children (The Times)

Totally Clueless. Cops fail to ID suspects in 50% of cases (The Sun)

Our Vanishing Beat Bobbies. 44% haven’t seen a beat Bobbie for over 12 months. (The Daily Fail)

Heath Enquiry Officer to Retire on Full Pension (The Telegraph)

All from today’s front pages.

I wonder if the above is due to massive Conservative Government cuts to police funding by the Prime Minister when she was Home Secretary, plus the huge drain on resources investigating carefully selected sex cases from 40 to 50 years ago?

Or could it be revenge for the police having had the audacity to set in motion a series of events which expose Damien Green as a liar and someone who can’t be trusted to keep his roaming hands off women?

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
I wonder if the above is due to massive Conservative Government cuts to police funding by the Prime Minister when she was Home Secretary,
Well, you get what you pay for.

No mention of the increase in shoplifting ?

the huge drain on resources investigating carefully selected sex cases from 40 to 50 years ago?
"Carefully selected" being the key words. Along with "historical" and "deceased".

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well, you get what you pay for.

No mention of the increase in shoplifting ?

"Carefully selected" being the key words. Along with "historical" and "deceased".
The Press would have you believe that 17 Million people expressed "The will of the people" "Restoring Sovereignty" to the Government responsible for presiding over these failures.

Inferring of course that the EU was to blame, and that by voting "leave" all these failures and excesses would come to an end, as those in power would be cowed by "The will of the people"

When will "The Goodness start to flow"
Anyone care to guess?

• Agree

Advertisers