Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A little comedy relief in the Daily Mail
"
Remainers who mock the return of the blue British passport are showing their true colours, writes PETER OBORNE

How sad — and utterly predictable. News that the traditional blue UK passports will be revived after Brexit has left many Remainers fulminating with rage and rancour.

Labour MPs have been queuing to voice their displeasure at this inspired and patriotic move."

Pathetic, especially as the EU have told these clowns that they could have any colour they fancy for the Passports while still in the EU.
And for the record, why is Blue any more "Patriotic" simply because that was the previous colour?

It hasn't left this Remainer "fulminating with rage and rancour"
Just astonished that anyone is stupid enough to fall for such Juvenile Propaganda.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A little comedy relief in the Daily Mail
"And for the record, why is Blue any more "Patriotic" simply because that was the previous colour?
The blue used for the mock up that has been widely reported is a very different colour to the old blue-verging-on-black of old passports. Which seems a very odd decision.

Reactions: robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
As soon as we're properly out of the EU and the madness of the EU agricultural tariffs - we can start doing what's best for the consumer - which means cheaper meat and a tonne of other cheaper foods. And don't buy the crap about Chlorine being a problem - we've been putting it in our water for decades.
OJ....do you work?
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
What a terrible question... Along the lines of "do you work or going in for repair? ". Perhaps better expressed as "are you in paid employment?"

When pope john 23rd. Was asked " how many people work in the vatican, " he was reputed to have answered ... "About 25%. "
Ok ,I will qualify that question...before I answer,my position is such that I do still work,as the boss and my staff are all paid well in excess of the living wage. But the rise of zero hours contracts,often illegal,is creating an army of workers who are poorly paid ,Amazon,Uber,Deliveroo,Ryanair etc are creating a 'Jams' workforce,the government are happy about this to keep the unemployment numbers down,universal credit is forcing people into these forms of employment.
When the Tory bastards complete their Singapore economy in the UK,this will force more into bad employment,you will be ok if you are in work,but with massive deductions for privatised NHS,Social Care and Pensions....workplace pensions is the start of this process. But if you are out of work,life will be very tough.
Which is why I asked whether you work?????
KudosDave

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Uber,Deliveroo
To name but two, some of the country's most exclusive hotels also are involved. Zero hours contracts exist for one reason, to make some parasite even richer than they already are. Of course our "leader's" will tell you that these businesses offer people the "freedom" to choose their working hours and the luxury of being self employed, and some actually believe this.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Zero hours contracts exist for one reason, to make some parasite even richer than they already are.
If I may I'll add a second reason, to avoid their social responsibility.

In a society like ours an employer has a responsibility for the welfare of their employees, and under some circumstances a good employer extends that to the employee's dependent family.

These parasitic companies want to avoid any of that reponsibility, so for that reason I don't term them employers, they are exploiters.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Zero Hours contracts are the modern equivalent of waiting at the pit or dock gates to be picked for a days work.
Perhaps this needs to be taken to law at the highest level on this basis:

If the contract's only guarantee is for zero hours of work, it is a contract for nothing and therefore not a contract at all. Ergo, making such a contract is unlawful misrepresentation, by virtue of it's pretence of making a tangible offer when no such tangibility exists.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Perhaps this needs to be taken to law at the highest level on this basis:

If the contract's only guarantee is for zero hours of work, it is a contract for nothing and therefore not a contract at all. Ergo, making such a contract is unlawful misrepresentation, by virtue of it's pretence of making a tangible offer when no such tangibility exists.
In my opinion, if an emp!oyer expects a person to be available to them , then they should be paying a contingency fee. Even if you go back to Jane Austin books , there is reference to RN ships officers being on half pension between the wars.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In my opinion, if an emp!oyer expects a person to be available to them , then they should be paying a contingency fee. Even if you go back to Jane Austin books , there is reference to RN ships officers being on half pension between the wars.
Indeed, there are many examples of retainers being paid to those who might be called upon. In consultancy it's commonplace.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
E-Bay,Amazon are cheap because they flought the law and governments let them get away with the illegals. Consumers love them because we all get cheap goods.....over Christmas we bought 12 presents from Amazon but only got 1 vatable invoice....but one day we will all pay when the likes of Amazon have put the rest out of business,governments are so short sighted.....Brexit will allow the Tory right wingers to introduce laws allowing for the expansion of cheap zero hours labour.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
E-Bay,Amazon are cheap because they flought the law and governments let them get away with the illegals. Consumers love them because we all get cheap goods.....over Christmas we bought 12 presents from Amazon but only got 1 vatable invoice....but one day we will all pay when the likes of Amazon have put the rest out of business,governments are so short sighted...
totally agreed.
Add aliexpress to that list.
How many online shops on Alibaba and Aliexpress ship illegally Lithium batteries by air and cover them with fake invoices?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
one day we will all pay when the likes of Amazon have put the rest out of business,governments are so short sighted.....Brexit will allow the Tory right wingers to introduce laws allowing for the expansion of cheap zero hours labour.
KudosDave
Absolutely. I don’t buy from these companies. The high street is in real trouble too, people use shops like showrooms to browse, touch and try on goods. They then sod off and source the product for a few quid less online.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
E-Bay,Amazon are cheap because they flought the law
Yes, but online retailers that stay within the law are always going to be able to be more competitive than bricks and mortar shops, and still retain a higher margin. Local government have "robbed" shopkeeper's with high rates for years, and the staff to turnover ratio is much less for online sellers. In the rural towns close to where I live, the streets are full of empty shops.

people use shops like showrooms to browse, touch and try on goods. They then sod off and source the product for a few quid less online.
£210 for a pair of boots from a local shop. £97 with free returns from an online retailer. Which would you choose ?

• Agree

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
If I may I'll add a second reason, to avoid their social responsibility.

In a society like ours an employer has a responsibility for the welfare of their employees, and under some circumstances a good employer extends that to the employee's dependent family.

These parasitic companies want to avoid any of that reponsibility, so for that reason I don't term them employers, they are exploiters.
I've never expected anybody but myself to be responsible for my welfare. Where do you get these ideas? You expect the employer to be responsible for your welfare? Huh? How does that work? Nobody can be responsible for your welfare except yourself. Assuming you are an adult and of sane mind. What a strange world you seem to live in.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Ok ,I will qualify that question...before I answer,my position is such that I do still work,as the boss and my staff are all paid well in excess of the living wage. But the rise of zero hours contracts,often illegal,is creating an army of workers who are poorly paid ,Amazon,Uber,Deliveroo,Ryanair etc are creating a 'Jams' workforce,the government are happy about this to keep the unemployment numbers down,universal credit is forcing people into these forms of employment.
When the Tory bastards complete their Singapore economy in the UK,this will force more into bad employment,you will be ok if you are in work,but with massive deductions for privatised NHS,Social Care and Pensions....workplace pensions is the start of this process. But if you are out of work,life will be very tough.
Which is why I asked whether you work?????
KudosDave
I've always worked 'zero hours'. It's called being self-employed. There are no guarantees when you're self-employed. But I like it like that. Some years I've made 6 figures. Others almost nothing. Each unto his own I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: tillson

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Good old OxygenJames.
Chlorine in drinking water is safe is it? this from the United States National Resources Defence Council
"
These concerns about cancer risks associated with chemical contamination from chlorination by-products have resulted in numerous epidemiological studies. These studies generally support the notion that by-products of chlorination are associated with increased cancer risks.

Chlorine is used to combat microbial contamination, but it can react with organic matter in the water and form dangerous, carcinogenic Trihalomethanes. According to Dr. Joseph M. Price, MD, in Moseby's Medical Dictionary, "Chlorine is the greatest crippler and killer of modern times. It is an insidious poison".

In a 1992 study that made front-page headlines, and was reported on in the July issue of the American Journal of Public Health researchers at the Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee found that people who regularly drink tap water containing high levels of chlorine by-products have a greater risk of developing bladder and rectal cancers than people who drink unchlorinated water. The study estimates that about 9 percent of all bladder cancer and 18 percent of all rectal cancer cases are associated with long-term consumption of these by-products. This amounts to over 20,000 new cases each year.

Take your Chlorine washed chickens, and certainly whatever you do ,don't eat the B****y things
Well in a free market you don't have to eat it if you don't like it - you can buy some non-chlorine ones that will cost you more. I think they call this allowing you to make the choice rather than having the government tell you what you can buy. I know which system I prefer.

• Disagree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Advertisers