Brexit, for once some facts.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
From the Independent
Brexit: Chief EU negotiator says 'no way' to a bespoke trade deal for the UK
Michel Barnier has said the UK cannot expect all the best bits of existing EU trading models
The European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator has said “no way” to Theresa May securing a bespoke trade deal with Brussels.

Michel Barnier said the EU is not prepared to come up with a makeshift trade deal for the UK that knits together all the best bits of existing models.

In an interview with Prospect magazine, conducted before EU leaders agreed to move on to the second stage of Brexit talks covering trade and transition, Mr Barnier warned the “most difficult” part of negotiations was now starting.

With that in mind you have to wonder what the EU is going to tell our idiots it is going to give them!
The EU have already told May what she can expect...to stay in the single market and customs union,in all but name.....we will continue to pay for access and we will agree to all rules and conditions. They will want to control us but we won't have a vote,we will agree to everything the EU want.
Maybe if we do want to leave the best approach is to do nothing other than the open skies deal,in March 2019 the EU will panic that we are crashing out not because of design but by incompetence,David Davis should be able to make a success of that.
Or we stay in.
KudosDave

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
From the Express this morning
THE European Union has been “deploying cold war espionage tactics against Britain” as rooms are “bugged”, an intelligence source has claimed.
Fitting, coz to paraphrase someone else's joke re 'bugs':

"After they drop the big one, the only thing left alive will be the cockroaches and..................................the politicians"
Course, a lot of the Par-liar-ment rooms would be kitted out with microphones for..
Interpretors!

Reactions: robdon

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
I do remember that the EU blamed the UK for not allowing the 200% duty they wanted to put on Chinese steel,that was under Cameron maybe things have changed.
KudosDave
And didn't Bliar lobby for/get a subsidy for Mittal to buy UK steel production facility, the same person then lobbied US to put a high tariff on UK steel imports. Which didn't make sense, or did it?
Now UK gov to put £3.8bn into steel industry while 'new' owners Tata put in (only) "£30m" plus "£550m into pension fund" fund.
Stranger and stranger, this bizness, 'find the lady' it looks like!
Mikel

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
in March 2019 the EU will panic that we are crashing out
More likely you will be able to hear the champagne corks popping in Brussels from Trafalgar Square... :rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the EU seems to want only the divorce money.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
the EU seems to want only the divorce money.
AKA the money that the UK promised to pay for services it obtained or will obtain in the future (pensions for UK personnel working for the EU for example)...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
AKA the money that the UK promised to pay for services it obtained or will obtain in the future (pensions for UK personnel working for the EU for example)...
I am not disputing the last phase 1 agreement.
I think we should retain membership of the customs union in the transition period, then decide later either to go Swiss or Norwegian or WTO.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Not sure this is amusing....a senior economist at Kings College has calculated that leaving the EU will cost the UK economy £350 million per week,which is almost the same that Boris promised we could get from the EU and give to the NHS.
No wonder Hammond seems to have an honest attitude to where we are going to end up,Boris and Gove are the Dame and Villain of the panto world!!!
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I am not disputing the last phase 1 agreement.
I think we should retain membership of the customs union in the transition period, then decide later either to go Swiss or Norwegian or WTO.
All Norwegians hate the Norway model,they regret doing the deal,most consider it a drain on their wealthy economy.
The Swiss model does not include services which is 80% of our economy....Woosh you should have more faith in May and Davis,they are going to get us a plus,plus,plus deal,they said so and May always delivers hehe!!!....from negotiations so far I believe Barnier,we are not going to get anything special,I think it will end up pretty much where we are now including all EU rules and regs and we will continue to making payments,but without any say on what is pushed on us....Brexiters you need to get new people in the negotiations if you want true Brexit but May is not going to deliver,she is still at heart a Remainer.
Flecc and I have always said that we will end up a bit different to where we started,just a bit poorer for the poor and a bit richer for the rich.
I notice that everbody (except Farage,who's he???) are talking about increasing immigration to keep our NHS and economy going....why are we doing this????
KudosDave

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
From the Independent
Brexit: Chief EU negotiator says 'no way' to a bespoke trade deal for the UK
Michel Barnier has said the UK cannot expect all the best bits of existing EU trading models
The European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator has said “no way” to Theresa May securing a bespoke trade deal with Brussels.

Michel Barnier said the EU is not prepared to come up with a makeshift trade deal for the UK that knits together all the best bits of existing models.

In an interview with Prospect magazine, conducted before EU leaders agreed to move on to the second stage of Brexit talks covering trade and transition, Mr Barnier warned the “most difficult” part of negotiations was now starting.

With that in mind you have to wonder what the EU is going to tell our idiots it is going to give them!
I’m pleased to see that you are gradually coming around to the idea of Brexit and all of its associated goodness.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I’m pleased to see that you are gradually coming around to the idea of Brexit and all of its associated goodness.
What goodness?

The world is not a very nice place and never has been. All the options are unacceptable so it's just a case of choosing the least worst available.

That for us is the EU, based on all the available evidence.

Brexit isn't actually an available choice, since it doesn't exist and is therefore a hypothetical fantasy future which could range between very good or very bad. In other words the only real status it has is risk, one which I don't want to accept.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Including with Bizzare and Disgusting irony the Pension of Nigel Farage!

Truly it's right what they say about the Wages of Sin!

They Pay handsomely

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well Well you have certainly made my day, who said Black comedy was dead!
Do elaborate on this "associated Goodness"

Will there be free shiny jackboots for overseers and Bullwhips too?
Allotted places on the pavement for the homeless beggars under the entrances of abandoned Supermarkets?

I noticed one County Council is hoping to Liquify Corpses and flush them down the drain, all very "Environmentally Friendly" and after all who cares about the "Human Dignity " of the Plebs?

What a wonderful compassionate society the Brexit Voters are about to get, just a pity for the rest of us that we have to suffer for their error.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Including with Bizzare and Disgusting irony the Pension of Nigel Farage!

Truly it's right what they say about the Wages of Sin!

They Pay handsomely
Farage says he's skint!!!!!Politics,according to him,doesn't pay!!!!
I am looking for a lad to sweep our yard and do some weeding of our posy soft landscaping,should just suit him!!!!
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not sure this is amusing....a senior economist at Kings College has calculated that leaving the EU will cost the UK economy £350 million per week,which is almost the same that Boris promised we could get from the EU and give to the NHS.
I thought the real cost is more than that.
£350 millions a week is just for starters, that's just the reduction in expected growth vs observed growth since the referendum. You should add the drop in FDI and the extra inflation. I reckon brexit costs already £50 billions so far and we have not even left yet nor paid the exit bill.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Do I read into this that the EU dont trust Davis's 'gentlemans agreement'.....

Stefaan De Rynck, Michel Barnier’s senior adviser, is speaking at Chatham House now.

He says drafting a withdrawal treaty will be the first task for the new year. That will involve putting the UK-EU agreement reached this month into the form of a legal treaty.

On citizens’ rights, he says the deal will not give the UK any discretion to diverge from what has been agreed.

On the financial settlement, he says there is now a “watertight methodology” for deciding what the UK will pay.

Looks like fudge time is over!!!!!
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Rees-Mogg keeps going on about Singaporean economy and structure. Its worth spending some time investigating the Singapore system.
What keeps appearing is CPF,CPF (Central Provident Fund)covers healthcare,housing,social care,insurance....it is funded by big contributions from employees and employers,it has 3 million members.
I see it being a bit 'big brother' that works well when you are in work but hopeless for the unemployed.
I can see our Workplace Pensions are the start of the Tories working towards our form of CPF,where the responsibility of looking after us is transfered from government to employer.
It definitely will not suit the workshy or those relying on the state to look after them.
CPF cannot be achieved within the constraints of the EU workers rights,so those who thought that Brexit is a passport to better wages for less work will be very dissappointed...the wages for the normal Singapore worker are not especially high,a lot of their income goes on CPF.
Migrant workers from Indonesia and the Philippines are not allowed to join CPF and anyway dont earn enough to contribute....there are 150,000 migrant workers earning less than $1 per hour.
So if Rees-Mogg/Bone/Redwood/IDS are your Brexit champions,be careful what you have voted for. But I am told that those who voted Brexit did their homework and know what and why they voted,us Remoaners just dont understand.
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So if Rees-Mogg/Bone/Redwood/IDS are your Brexit champions,be careful what you have voted for. But I am told that those who voted Brexit did their homework and know what and why they voted,us Remoaners just dont understand.
That much is right, we don't understand why Brexiters cannot see what those Brexit leaders are aiming for.

• Agree

Advertisers