Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, i dont think so... The EU would have to have the hard border, it would be on the same location as the borders were placed in 1922.
Irish people on both sides , would indulge in the petty smuggling as they did and to a some extent still do.. there have been differences in fuel duties , which have allowed it continue.
I don't understand why you've posted "I don't think so", when what you've followed with is exactly what I posted?

EU hard border, Irish bending it.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the independent
"
Tory MP who led Brexit rebellion against Theresa May receives death threats
'The vitriol, the death threats - I don’t do social media, but even so I’ve had to report certain things off to the police'
The ex-cabinet minister behind the Conservative backbench push to reshape Theresa May’s Brexit plans has revealed he received a string of death threats since starting to question the Government’s approach to EU withdrawal.

Dominic Grieve told The Independent he had been left with no choice but to report several messages he had received to the police.

The senior Tory who played a key role in the Commons vote lost by the Prime Minister on Wednesday, said all of his colleagues who had spoken out about the bill had been subject to a “torrent” of abuse, with others also receiving threats of physical violence.
It comes after a second Brexit-backing newspaper provocatively listed Conservative MPs who disagreed with parts of the EU Withdrawal Bill on its front page.

He said: “You only have to look at the vitriol, the death threats - I don’t do social media, but even so I’ve had to report certain things off to the police.

“It is a torrent - and it is all ‘you are stopping Brexit’.”

He went on: “Yes, I have had death threats. All my colleagues have had threats, mine were a voicemail message and a couple of emails.”

Mr Grieve brought forward the amendment that Conservative rebels and Labour MPs rallied around to inflict an embarrassing defeat on Ms May, which he said was necessary to prevent a “gross abuse of executive power”.

“The vitriol is a symptom of the real problem, because everything is seen in the binary terms of either pushing Brexit or sabotaging it, stopping it."

Time that newspapers were taken to task about inciting political hatred.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
just-minute-mep-perfectly-sums-mays-contempt-british-people-video
here is the text of Mrs Reding speech:

"now everybody knows what Brexit really means. Brexiters promised £350m a week to their citizens. Instead, they have to pay billions of euros. They promised economic benefits. Instead, the pound and the British growth are at their lowest. They promised sovereignty. Instead, the government is at the mercy of [the] DUP at home and of trade partners abroad. They promised [a] global Britain. Instead, they got a lonely Britain. They promised to take back control. Instead, they… are spinning out of control.
I am saddened that British people have fallen victim to political crooks, and that the result is a divided and weakened UK."

Brexit will cost less if we remain close to the EU27.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Theresa May looked dreadful on the TV tonight,the strain is clear. It is interesting that senior EU politicians are now appearing to try to support her,they understand that she has no friends back in the UK,the bastards are putting pressure on her to maintain hard Brexit and parliament have alienated her by the recent vote. The EU realise that they need to keep her in power if an EU Brexit is to be the outcome,they do need our trade and crashing out would be bad for all.
It just seemed wrong that TM was not part of the photo shoot at the EU today.
KudosDave

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Theresa May looked dreadful on the TV tonight,the strain is clear. It is interesting that senior EU politicians are now appearing to try to support her,they understand that she has no friends back in the UK,the bastards are putting pressure on her to maintain hard Brexit and parliament have alienated her by the recent vote. The EU realise that they need to keep her in power if an EU Brexit is to be the outcome,they do need our trade and crashing out would be bad for all.
It just seemed wrong that TM was not part of the photo shoot at the EU today.
KudosDave
She had to run off for a weep in the loo...

• :D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Flecc, i dont think so... The EU would have to have the hard border, it would be on the same location as the borders were placed in 1922.
Irish people on both sides , would indulge in the petty smuggling as they did and to a some extent still do.. there have been differences in fuel duties , which have allowed it continue.
The EU would probably subvent the irish republics loss of income , certainly in the short term. The price for which would be stronger eu force protection of the border,, The pragmatic NI folk, might then well demand their border poll.
However. I expect there to be wider distruption on the UK mainland with food shortages, plummeting currency etc. Maybe and hopefully not a civil war, but rioting and supression. There will be a lot of discontented people and they will vent it on the civil authority... Leavers who cannot understand why that was promised has not come to pass and remainers who have found their views wharted at every juncture.
Don't worry Dan when Apple send you the check for 13 billion € you will even be able to choose the colour of the border wall ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
From the frying pan into the fire?

Rupert Murdoch's impending Sky assets sale and the associated Fox and Disney deals mean that Sky News will end up owned by Disney.

So one of the large traditional media news sources being produced by the largest creator of fiction in history!
What Mickey mouse not real.! .. Now he tells me!

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
From the independent
"
Tory MP who led Brexit rebellion against Theresa May receives death threats
'The vitriol, the death threats - I don’t do social media, but even so I’ve had to report certain things off to the police'
The ex-cabinet minister behind the Conservative backbench push to reshape Theresa May’s Brexit plans has revealed he received a string of death threats since starting to question the Government’s approach to EU withdrawal.

Dominic Grieve told The Independent he had been left with no choice but to report several messages he had received to the police.

The senior Tory who played a key role in the Commons vote lost by the Prime Minister on Wednesday, said all of his colleagues who had spoken out about the bill had been subject to a “torrent” of abuse, with others also receiving threats of physical violence.
It comes after a second Brexit-backing newspaper provocatively listed Conservative MPs who disagreed with parts of the EU Withdrawal Bill on its front page.

He said: “You only have to look at the vitriol, the death threats - I don’t do social media, but even so I’ve had to report certain things off to the police.

“It is a torrent - and it is all ‘you are stopping Brexit’.”

He went on: “Yes, I have had death threats. All my colleagues have had threats, mine were a voicemail message and a couple of emails.”

Mr Grieve brought forward the amendment that Conservative rebels and Labour MPs rallied around to inflict an embarrassing defeat on Ms May, which he said was necessary to prevent a “gross abuse of executive power”.

“The vitriol is a symptom of the real problem, because everything is seen in the binary terms of either pushing Brexit or sabotaging it, stopping it."

Time that newspapers were taken to task about inciting political hatred.
And blogs such as those regularly quoted on here...and probably even a few posts from this thread ?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And blogs such as those regularly quoted on here...and probably even a few posts from this thread ?
Are you having another of your turns? No one has made any threats of this kind on here, you really need to live in the real world. And learn to read the actual words being used not substitute your own, with twisted meanings attached.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Are you having another of your turns? No one has made any threats of this kind on here, you really need to live in the real world. And learn to read the actual words being used not substitute your own, with twisted meanings attached.

Those blinkers of yours must slip over your entire eyes for some posts.
There are plenty which incite hate, Tom alikekening Queen to moors murderess for one. If that isn't inciting hate ( against Royal family in this case) I don't know what is..but you obviously missed that reference..
BTW OG, I hit like button for your original post on this subject, but yet again you,d prefer to continue our confrontation..
You make a good point about media inciting hate yet do so yourself.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Those blinkers of yours must slip over your entire eyes for some posts.
There are plenty which incite hate, Tom alikekening Queen to moors murderess for one. If that isn't inciting hate ( against Royal family in this case) I don't know what is..but you obviously missed that reference..
BTW OG, I hit like button for your original post on this subject, but yet again you,d prefer to continue our confrontation..
You make a good point about media inciting hate yet do so yourself.
And now I require you to prove that statement about my posts

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
So we are now allowed to move to the next stage of Brexit. The EU have given us a set menu with no choices,as we don't know what we want then it's not surprising that we will have to take what we are given...
The menu includes...
Continued alignment with all EU laws and conditions,including new ones.
Continue in the single market
Continue in the customs union,so no need for Liam Fox.
Continue under the control of the ECJ
And lots of other goodies that are not optional.
Looks like the negotiations are 'making progress', to date I don't know one concession that the EU has made,no reason why that shouldn't continue.
I bet Fox,Bone,Redwood and Rees-Mogg are spitting blood,May's red lines haven't turned pink they are white.
What do Brexiters think about this,if there are any left on this forum and not given up?
I don't suppose Remainers are all that happy either,Brexit is consuming cash and effort,without anything to show for it. We should put up the white flag ,ask for forgiveness on the grounds of mental deficiency ,maybe they will let us stay and all we lose is our pride and about £5 billion Maggie rebate.
KudosDave

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
maybe they will let us stay and all we lose is our pride and about £5 billion Maggie rebate.
KudosDave
we can continue with 'full alignment' and not pay for access for our services. The EU may let our banks sell some services in return for a huge surplus in trade on goods.

Advertisers