Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Express
"
UK BOWS TO EU: Brexit phase 1 deal WILL be made law after Verhofstadt raged at Davis
BRITAIN has bowed to pressure from the European Union by agreeing that Phase 1 of the Brexit deal will be put into law after a furious intervention by Guy Verhofstadt.
Eurocrats are digging their heels in after the UK’s Brexit secretary David Davis said Britain’s agreement “was more a statement of intent than a legally enforceable thing”, which prominent MEP Guy Verhofstadt claimed "undermined trust".

But in an extraordinary U-turn, Brexit Secretary David Davis confirmed he has spoken to Belgian MEP Mr Verhofstadt and the pair have agreed to work together to agree that they will convert the joint report into legal text.

Mr Davis bowed to pressure after Mr Verhofstadt blasted him for his "unacceptable" remarks over the weekend and accused him of "undermining trust" between London and Brussels.

It comes after talks went on through the night on Thursday and Friday between Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and the EU to sign off the first phase of negotiations.

Of course as usual the Readers comments are "outraged" they prefer threats from us to honest dealings obviously, and this is all the "EU" fault for wanting more?

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Of course as usual the Readers comments are "outraged" they prefer threats from us to honest dealings obviously, and this is all the "EU" fault for wanting more?
those people don't do their cause any good.
they force their politician leaders to have loose tongues and loose tongues cost.
By the way, I have a sneaky suspicion that Mr Putin's men are posting on the Express and the Sun.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
It will be most interesting to hear what the UK government's business model will be post Brexit. Previous ones have been quite successful. Invade, steal, puppet government, then force them to buy substandard goods manufactured in the UK. My aunt just loved driving around Canada in her Morris 1100.

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It will be most interesting to hear what the UK government's business model will be post Brexit. Previous ones have been quite successful. Invade, steal, puppet government, then force them to buy substandard goods manufactured in the UK. My aunt just loved driving around Canada in her Morris 1100.
Sell off what little of the NHS they can, Launder Money, and Fleece a Gullible Public have worked before.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
From a documentary on arte last night:

HSBC and China don't want brexit but they can't say it out loud, the UK in the EU is China's Trojan horse to get access to a market of over 500 million shoppers and HSBC is their bank. The UK in the EU got China access to the latest French nuclear power generation technology and that cost peanuts because eventually the UK population will pay the bill. China has so much money (clean and dirty) tied up in the UK right now I doubt that they will let you leave the EU. It isn't as if you really have the choice...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
From a documentary on arte last night:

HSBC and China don't want brexit but they can't say it out loud, the UK in the EU is China's Trojan horse to get access to a market of over 500 million shoppers and HSBC is their bank. The UK in the EU got China access to the latest French nuclear power generation technology and that cost peanuts because eventually the UK population will pay the bill. China has so much money (clean and dirty) tied up in the UK right now I doubt that they will let you leave the EU. It isn't as if you really have the choice...
Davis is buckling under pressure to put the agreement into law...I bet the bastard 35 don't want that because the likely fallback position is regulatory alignment,which pretty much means staying in the EU,certainly staying in the single market and customs union.
China and USA wont like it because we will have to continue with import tariffs.
Leavers wont like it because we haven't left and have to continue payments to the EU.
So why are we agreeing to it???
KudosDave

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
EU and Vietnam close to signing free trade agreement,the EU intend no tariffs between the EU and Vietnam within 7 years...
Vietnam is also a major exporter of bicycle and e-bike frames. Some 600,000 alloy and carbon frames are exported from Vietnam. About 350,000 are shipped direct to bike makers in Europe. The rest goes to nearby bike makers in Cambodia where large scale makers like Strongman, A&J and Asama are located. Cambodian bike makers shipped close 1.3 million complete bikes to the EU countries in 2016. Next to alloy and carbon frames Vietnam also produces several hundred thousand steel bike frames of which also a big portion is shipped to Europe. Astro is one of the frame makers located in Vietnam that exports to Europe. The renowned Taiwan frame maker operates two facilities in Vietnam for the production of alloy and carbon frames.
Could be interesting for the future....
KudosDave

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
EU and Vietnam close to signing free trade agreement,the EU intend no tariffs between the EU and Vietnam within 7 years...
And leaving the EU cuts us out of that deal.

We can bet that if we try to set up the same with Vietnam, the EU will pressurise them to refuse the same free trade deal for us. When they say we'll have to be worse off out, they mean it.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dominic's Grieve amendment vote could be critical to how Brexit proceeds,if successful it will ensure that the bastard 35 headed by Davis and Co cannot proceed for selfish reasons and have to consider parliament.
It looks like the way that Labour vote could decide the result,should be very close run.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
In a bid to prevent a government defeat — on the eve of the European Council summit in Brussels — Brexit Secretary David Davis published a statement Wednesday morning giving a written commitment that the government would “hold a vote on the final deal in parliament as soon as possible after the negotiations have concluded.” On timing, Davis cited the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier, who has said he wants the withdrawal talks finalized by October 2018.

The agreement would also be subject to formal ratification by parliament under standard procedures used to ratify international treaties, the statement said. If it passes both these stages, the agreement would then be brought into U.K. law via a new bill — the Withdrawal Agreement and Implementation Bill — which MPs would also have a vote on.

However, Grieve told POLITICO that the statement did not address his concerns around clause nine of the Withdrawal Bill, which gives the government the power to implement the agreement without parliamentary approval.

Grieve and the rebels obviously dont trust Davis,which is not surprising after he lied about the impact assessments and about turned on the 'gentlemans' EU agreement....you wouldn't trust him with the kids piggy bank.
KudosDave

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Davis is buckling under pressure to put the agreement into law...I bet the bastard 35 don't want that because the likely fallback position is regulatory alignment,which pretty much means staying in the EU,certainly staying in the single market and customs union.
China and USA wont like it because we will have to continue with import tariffs.
Leavers wont like it because we haven't left and have to continue payments to the EU.
So why are we agreeing to it???
KudosDave
Let me hazard a guess
"It's the silly season?" and anything that doesn't sound like "Cancel Brexit" will do to kid the numptie Brexit fanatics, if you pretend it is "only a statement of intent " and we can take our ball back if they won't bow down to our bullying them.

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Some people, very ignorant and stupid people, still seem to harbour the notion that the BBC is awash with with 'left-wing loonies' as I have frequently heard them referred to.

What on God's earth will it take before these seriously stupid people get the message that the BBC is staffed by and managed by out and out tory extremists? Moreover, the same stupid people react indignantly when they are referred to as brainwashed as if proof were required when it is wholly self-evident that they must be if they cannot identify the simple truths seen by their own eyes and heard by their own ears.

Even this man admits it and he should know!

25289707_1647728525248277_1138802183962021129_n.png

Those who vote for the tory party are very sick people.

Tom

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the ultimate aim is to return control of how people receive their news, and as a result think and behave, to the traditional media. Social media is too dangerous and risks feeding the public too much truth.
From the frying pan into the fire?

Rupert Murdoch's impending Sky assets sale and the associated Fox and Disney deals mean that Sky News will end up owned by Disney.

So one of the large traditional media news sources being produced by the largest creator of fiction in history!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the frying pan into the fire?

Rupert Murdoch's impending Sky assets sale and the associated Fox and Disney deals mean that Sky News will end up owned by Disney.

So one of the large traditional media news sources being produced by the largest creator of fiction in history!
AGAIN

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry, I'm a bit out of touch. When did Disney become a large traditional news source ?
Read my post again, as the part you omitted shows, I was referring to Sky News being the large media news source, so when Disney owns it they will become the source.

Last edited:
  • Agree

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Read my post again, as the part you omitted shows, I was referring to Sky News being the large media news source, so when Disney owns it they will become the source.
Irony. Fox News is Alan Partridge on steroids, Sky News lurks in its shadow. Murdoch pulling Fox from UK satellite channels robbed me of the best satire available. Who else could portray an "anchor" (Bill O'Reilly) that made Hitler look left wing. The frightening thing is, as with Alan Partridge, some thought it was serious. I mean, they have reporters that look like Max Headroom. And cast offs from the Mary Tyler Moore Show, and the Munsters.

Advertisers