Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Gordon Brown said there would be no more boom or bust. ;)
Gordon Brown is a politician, Mark Carney is an expert.
I tend to believe the experts :)

• :D
Reactions: robdon

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Valid point, but you don't always know what's coming, Mark Carney is making an educated forecast. This wasn't expected,

Forties pipeline shutdown 'worth £20m a day'

let's see how it affects fuel prices. Plus, what will the outcome be in the financial markets if some of the lunacy of the worldwide sabre rattling turns to reality ?

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's brave of you! This quote is from only just over a month ago:

Again and again Carney has called it wrong about the economic impact of Brexit. He warned that Britain would be plunged into recession after a Leave vote and that leaving the EU represented the “biggest domestic risk” to the UK economy. Unemployment would rise, house prices would collapse, consumer confidence would be dented. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
His forecasting failure has been compared to that of Michael Fish ignoring the hurricane coming our way in 1987.

And this from late June:

BRITAIN'S economy has coped with Brexit and could soon be ready for interest rates to rise, the Bank of England's chief economist said today in an outlook sharply contrasting with his boss Mark Carney.

He was right.

Last edited:
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He says the EU will now not start discussing any trade deal until March 2018,as the EU want 6 months at the end to ratify any deal,that only leaves 6 months of discussion.
Michel Barnier has now said there is no possibility of a trade deal by our departure date of March 2019.

Instead there will be a joint statement then pending the further trade discussions.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
house prices would collapse, consumer confidence would be dented. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
There are huge regional differences to take into account. Consumer confidence may be all well online, but far from it on any "high street" in my local. A house within eyesight of mine, pre financial crash £650.000, offered 6 months ago for offers over £400.000, as of this week offers over £275.000, and there are plenty others on the market realistically priced that are not moving, inc plots. Sometimes the experts forget there is a country outside of "the city".

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Interesting that the Murdoch Press are attacking social Media

Facebook leaves it's users feeling vacant and empty? apart from the fact that some of them may well have been that way all along, the Mail wants to control how Vacant and empty the minds of it's readership are and doesn't like competition for what they perceive as a captive Airheads Market

• :D
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are huge regional differences to take into account. Consumer confidence may be all well online, but far from it on any "high street" in my local. A house within eyesight of mine, pre financial crash £650.000, offered 6 months ago for offers over £400.000, as of this week offers over £275.000, and there are plenty others on the market realistically priced that are not moving, inc plots. Sometimes the experts forget there is a country outside of "the city".
I can match any falling figures with areas where they've risen enormously over the same periods. Exceptions can always be found, but overall they haven't dropped as the building society figures show.

In any case I was quoting Carney just before the referendum last year, not before the 2008 crash which was almost a decade ago.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
The news is full of shoppers reactions to the inflation increase,they are starting to notice price rises on most things,these are the very people who voted for Brexit because they were told that it would make them better off and money to the NHS.
KudosDave
There always is the potential that things could get better. I know a farmer who voted leave because of his displeasure at being told by European bureaucrats when and when he couldn't spread manure. It'll be interesting to see how UK farmers will fare in the subsidy department after departure from the EU. As well as the lack of labour for harvesting labour intensive crops, which, where I live is almost 100% reliant on a now diminishing European labour force.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
BRITAIN'S economy has coped with Brexit and could soon be ready for interest rates to rise, the Bank of England's chief economist said today in an outlook sharply contrasting with his boss Mark Carney.
Mark Carney could have said interest rate will have to rise to tame inflation.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Mark Carney could have said interest rate will have to rise to tame inflation.
I think the financial experts are fully aware of the impact an interest rate hike would have on the economy. Rather than learning from the past, a huge percentage of the populace have got themselves deeper into debt. The "JAM's" I believe they are referred to. There is nothing more that would please me than a large increase in the interest rate, apart from being 30 years younger, but its not going to happen soon. I could live a life of luxury on what some I know are paying out monthly on "unnecessaries". Its easy to blame " the government " rather than question your own lack of foresight, or stupidity.

• Informative

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think the financial experts are fully aware of the impact an interest rate hike would have on the economy. Rather than learning from the past, a huge percentage of the populace have got themselves deeper into debt. The "JAM's" I believe they are referred to. There is nothing more that would please me than a large increase in the interest rate, apart from being 30 years younger, but its not going to happen soon. I could live a life of luxury on what some I know are paying out monthly on "unnecessaries". Its easy to blame " the government " rather than question your own lack of foresight, or stupidity.
Which means that as a nation we have painted ourselves into a corner.

• Agree

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Which means that as a nation we have painted ourselves into a corner.
Yes. I do believe we have all become victims of conspicuous consumerism, at any cost. I have, for many years, been involved in making low cost, simple power supplies, wind, solar and water powered. This type of energy can, and should be affordable for everyone, but it isn't, the suppliers are chasing the "green pound". There are many instances of marketing "gimp talk". My favorite is " we'll charge what the market will stand". Which translates into; "it depends on how stupid you are." Why do people queue overnight to "buy" the latest i phone, when you can wait a while and walk into a shop and get one unhindered ? Why did I just pay for an e-bike more than the last motorcycle I bought ? I recently spoke to a Chinese tourist who told me about the huge amount of electric bikes in their city. I bet they aren't paying thousands. The worst example I have witnessed was a solar water heating system being marketed by a UK installer for over £4000. The same unit, delivered from the Chinese manufacturing plant, inc duties, was less than £500. I'm not suggesting that this practice is rife, but it's there, and not too difficult to find.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Interesting that the Murdoch Press are attacking social Media

Facebook leaves it's users feeling vacant and empty? apart from the fact that some of them may well have been that way all along, the Mail wants to control how Vacant and empty the minds of it's readership are and doesn't like competition for what they perceive as a captive Airheads Market
There is a lot of rubbish on social media, but there is also information that the newspapers and their masters don't want appearing the public domain. A subtle hate campaign is being waged against "Internet Bosses" and "Internet Giants" to turn the public against them. I don't know what an Internet Giant is, but the Daily Fail and politicians seem to be scared of them, so they can't be all bad.

I think the ultimate aim is to return control of how people receive their news, and as a result think and behave, to the traditional media. Social media is too dangerous and risks feeding the public too much truth.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
There is a lot of rubbish on social media, but there is also information that the newspapers and their masters don't want appearing the public domain.
Very true, and equally a load of rubbish in some sections of the "popular" press. I recently got an e-mail from a friend, which after a bit of research, turned out to be nonsense, but how many others bother, my friend didn't. The Daily Spode publishes opinions, not news.

I think the ultimate aim is to return control of how people receive their news, and as a result think and behave, to the traditional media. Social media is too dangerous and risks feeding the public too much truth.
The genie is out of the bottle.

Advertisers