Brexit, for once some facts.

"There will be no downside to Brexit, only a considerable upside" -David Davis

"The day after we vote to leave we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want." - Michael Gove

"Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation." - John Redwood

"To me, Brexit is easy." - Nigel Farage

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do w ith the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history" - Liam Fox

"In fact, I think it will be positive for Northern Ireland." - Boris Johnson

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
May and the EU changed the name of this deal from 'regulatory divergence' to 'regulatory alignment' But nobody seems to understand the detail of this deal
I'm not aware of whose idea it was to use this piece of creative nomenclature but I can't help but think of the old Danny Kaye song about the King's new clothes - there seems to be something analogous about it, particularly when it's directed towards the kind of naive people who are susceptible to the lies and propaganda of tory MPs and their media wing and will follow like sheep.

For those who don't know the story, it's from a 1952 film about Hans Christian Andersen, a man who produced fairy tales!

THE KING'S NEW CLOTHES

This is the story of the King's new clothes. Now there was once a king who was absolutely insane about new clothes and one day, two swindlers came to sell him what they said was a magic suit of clothes. Now, they held up this particular garment and they said, "Your Majesty, this is a magic suit." Well, the truth of the matter is, there was no suit there at all. But the swindlers were very smart, and they said, "Your Majesty, to a wise man this is a beautiful raiment but to a fool it is absolutely invisible." Naturally, the King not wanting to appear a fool, said: "Isn't it grand! Isn't it fine! Look at the cut, the style, the line! The suit of clothes is altogether, but altogether it's altogether The most remarkable suit of clothes that I have ever seen. These eyes of mine at once determined The sleeves are velvet, the cape is ermine The hose are blue and the doublet is a lovely shade of green Somebody send for the Queen"

Well they sent for the Queen and they quickly explained to her about the magic suit of clothes. And naturally, the Queen not wanting to appear a fool, said: "Well, isn't it oh! Isn't it rich! Look at the charm of every stitch! The suit of clothes is altogether, but altogether it's altogether The most remarkable suit of clothes that I have ever seen These eyes of mine at once determined The sleeves are velvet, the cape is ermine The hose are blue and the doublet is a lovely shade of green Summon the court to convene"

Well the court convened, and you never saw in your life as many people as were at that court. All the ambassadors, the dukes, the earls, the counts, it was just packed with people, and they were all told about the magic suit of clothes. And after they were told they naturally didn't want to appear fools and they said: "Isn't it ohhh! Isn't it ahhh! Isn't it absolutely wheee! (whistle sound) The suit of clothes is altogether, but altogether, it's altogether The most remarkable suit of clothes a tailor ever made Now quickly, put it altogether With gloves of leather and hat and feather It's altogether the thing to wear in Saturday's parade Leading the royal brigade"

Now Saturday came and the streets were just lined with thousands and thousands and thousands of people. And they all were cheering as the artillery came by, the infantry marched by, the cavalry galloped by. And everybody was cheering like mad, except one little boy. You see, he hadn't heard about the magic suit and didn't know what he was supposed to see. Well, as the King came by the little boy looked and, horrified, said: "Look at the King! Look at the the King! Look at the King, the King, the King! The King is in the altogether, but altogether, the altogether He's altogether as naked as the day that he was born The King is in the altogether, but altogether, the altogether It's altogether the very least the King has ever worn" Summon the court physician! Call an intermission! His majesty is wide open to ridicule and scorn. The King is in the altogether, but all together, the altogether He's altogether as naked as the day that he was born And it's altogether too chilly a morn!

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Steb

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

"The day after we vote to leave we hold all the cards and we can choose the path we want." - Michael Gove

"Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards in any negotiation." - John Redwood

"The free trade agreement that we will have to do w ith the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history" - Liam Fox

Very relevant at this time, but people such as those you quote are never held to account. They are at liberty to say, do and promise whatever they like, safe in the knowledge the they will never be required to take responsibility for their actions.

With that type of freedom there is no wonder the government are a clusterfuck. Idiots appointed on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, social background, in fact anything except competence.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer

I have this vision of all of the abovementioned playing characters from 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' with the drippy Theresa May struggling to act the part of Nurse Ratched.:D

Tom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Associated matter, the EU have approved the anti-dumping measure on Chinese e-bikes. See this link
Has that successfully cornered the ebike market for the Germans now, leaving them free to raise prices and limit consumer choice? I guess Kalkhoff don’t need to bother fixing that diabolical motor they stick on their bikes now.

• :D
Reactions: Steb and oldtom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Has that successfully cornered the ebike market for the Germans now, leaving them free to raise prices and limit consumer choice? I guess Kalkhoff don’t need to bother fixing that diabolical motor they stick on their bikes now.
We'll have to wait until their rules are applied to see what will be affected and by how much. It's not a simple blanket percentage to be added, they have to check if a product is being unfairly discounted by subsidies under their rules.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
54% of our imports into the UK came from other countries in the EU in 2016
any of the ready made formulas that the EU has on offer (Turkey, CETA, Swiss, Norway etc) have zero duty on 99% of these imports, there is no reason why imported goods from the EU should be more expensive.
What we want to negotiate is really access to the service market, they let us into some of theirs, we let them into some of ours, such as banking and insurance. The difference in sales can be offset with some annual payment into EU coffers.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We have finally figured out the holdup in the Brexit negotiations.. the waterford whisperer has the low down...
For those not in the know, the modh coinnealach is the conditional case in irish grammar and causes difficulty for all students, myself included.. it is a favoured part of the examination in the language.. statements of the sort. ". i would have used my ebike, if I knew it wasnt going to rain...."

YET ANOTHER twist in the intractable Brexit negotiations has come in the form of a formal demand from Ireland, to have all future negotiations in respect to the border portion of Brexit talks to be carried out in Irish, WWN can reveal.

Ireland, famous in Britain for forcing David Cameron against his will to call a referendum on Britain’s membership of the EU and then forcing Britons to pass the referendum, has been a constant thorn in the side of negotiations ever since Theresa May’s team discovered the existence of Northern Ireland.

The British government’s response to the Irish language demand was an atypically convoluted, aimless and frankly incompetent act as an email correspondence to the Irish government consisted of variations of ‘sorry, what’s Irish?’ and ‘wait, you like, have your own language?’

Hopes that a deal could be forged in relation to the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland remain intact, however, the need to conduct talks in Irish represent a stumbling block as Taoiseach Varadkar has now simply resolved to repeat ‘níl Béarla agam’ at Theresa May.

“Are we being petty and enjoying toying with them? Most definitely,” confirmed the Irish government. However, questions remain over whether the government itself can field a team of fluent Irish speakers, with several members of the government unable to speak Irish themselves.

This morning’s negotiations had started off well with prime minister May successfully locating Belfast on a map with the help of a Brexit crisis team comprised of 400 think tanks and correctly pronouncing the word ‘Taoiseach’ after seven gruelling hours of near misses.

With the December the 15th deadline for an agreement fast approaching, Ireland is hopeful it will get to use an emergency measure that will see the border issue decided over a game of hurling between Ireland and Britain.

BREAKING: leaked documents showing Britain has allegedly agreed to ‘Continued regulatory alignment’ in Northern Ireland has been blamed on the British government struggling with the Modh Coinníollach.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I thought the DUP had been put up for sale for £1 billion, and I’m sure I then read that the Conservative party bought it. What’s the problem?
The1billion was probably money well spent,the DUP have probably saved us all from Brexit chaos. It is clear that the 35 Tory bastards don't care about NI and actually don't care about the future of UK-EU trade post Brexit,they are only interested in their own petty law making.....bring back fox hunting!!!
The DUP have probably been told that 'regulatory alignment' is only a passing phase and will be covered when the EU give us a free trade deal,Davis pretty much admitted that in the house today,the DUP don't believe that a good free trade deal is likely.
In fact,the 'regulatory alignment' deal is probably the type of deal that the EU will want to offer the UK,that will be unacceptable to the Tory 35 and thus we will be heading to crash out,leaving NI in a very difficult position.
If we cannot satisfy the EU on phase 1 then phase 2 will be much of the same.
KudosDave

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not far wide of the mark there Dan...
Did you know th DUP has a Stirring Anthem?
"I doesn't matter what you say 'cause I'm against in anyway,
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
And even if you change it and amend it I'm against it!!

You can enjoy the full anthem here
Courtesy of Groucho Marx, who was an infinitely greater Comedian than they are.

Did you see the Headline in the Daily Mirror this morning?

Who would have thought there were worse Politicians than those in the main Tory Party?
Did you really vote for this utterly devious and unprincipled gang?

• Agree

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Did you know th DUP has a Stirring Anthem?
"I doesn't matter what you say 'cause I'm against in anyway,
Whatever it is, I'm against it!
And even if you change it and amend it I'm against it!!

You can enjoy the full anthem here
Courtesy of Groucho Marx, who was an infinitely greater Comedian than they are.

Did you see the Headline in the Daily Mirror this morning?

Who would have thought there were worse Politicians than those in the main Tory Party?
Did you really vote for this utterly devious and unprincipled gang?

Heh heh heh,.... as they say OG, "stings like a bitch, doan` it??!!"

:D sorry we have upset your sensitivities

now i wonder where the term `Bell-end` came from

lol!!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Heh heh heh,.... as they say OG, "stings like a bitch, doan` it??!!"

:D sorry we have upset your sensitivities

now i wonder where the term `Bell-end` came from

lol!!
Why did you ask that? have you lost yours in an accident or something?
I believe is is a term used by morons to describe the end of the male penis'

Who does it sting like a bitch?

You really should try to keep up and not get lost in your own little fantasy world
it hasn't upset my sensitivities as anything that derails Brexit if absolutely fine by me, but you really are a little slow on the uptake if you think they won't get ratted on by the Main Tory Party for what they have done.

Do you really think this ragtag band of unreliable turncoats will ever be trusted again by the main party or ever do any good for Northern Ireland after this?and that goes for the Billion conned under False pretences too!

As Boris would say "They can whistle for it"
All absolutely Fabulous, keep on undermining Brexit
You are doing great service for the Remain side.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Unless of course post Brexit May cancels all duties and tariffs....she says she believes in free trade....in that event the EU will want the hardest border between NI and Ireland,not good for the peace process.
KudosDave

Reactions: robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We have finally figured out the holdup in the Brexit negotiations.. the waterford whisperer has the low down...
For those not in the know, the modh coinnealach is the conditional case in irish grammar and causes difficulty for all students, myself included.. it is a favoured part of the examination in the language.. statements of the sort. ". i would have used my ebike, if I knew it wasnt going to rain...."

YET ANOTHER twist in the intractable Brexit negotiations has come in the form of a formal demand from Ireland, to have all future negotiations in respect to the border portion of Brexit talks to be carried out in Irish, WWN can reveal.

Ireland, famous in Britain for forcing David Cameron against his will to call a referendum on Britain’s membership of the EU and then forcing Britons to pass the referendum, has been a constant thorn in the side of negotiations ever since Theresa May’s team discovered the existence of Northern Ireland.

The British government’s response to the Irish language demand was an atypically convoluted, aimless and frankly incompetent act as an email correspondence to the Irish government consisted of variations of ‘sorry, what’s Irish?’ and ‘wait, you like, have your own language?’

Hopes that a deal could be forged in relation to the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland remain intact, however, the need to conduct talks in Irish represent a stumbling block as Taoiseach Varadkar has now simply resolved to repeat ‘níl Béarla agam’ at Theresa May.

“Are we being petty and enjoying toying with them? Most definitely,” confirmed the Irish government. However, questions remain over whether the government itself can field a team of fluent Irish speakers, with several members of the government unable to speak Irish themselves.

This morning’s negotiations had started off well with prime minister May successfully locating Belfast on a map with the help of a Brexit crisis team comprised of 400 think tanks and correctly pronouncing the word ‘Taoiseach’ after seven gruelling hours of near misses.

With the December the 15th deadline for an agreement fast approaching, Ireland is hopeful it will get to use an emergency measure that will see the border issue decided over a game of hurling between Ireland and Britain.

BREAKING: leaked documents showing Britain has allegedly agreed to ‘Continued regulatory alignment’ in Northern Ireland has been blamed on the British government struggling with the Modh Coinníollach.
I struggled with the word 'Taoiseach' until I realised the Irish can't spell,it is 'Teashog'.
KudosDave

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers