Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The EU are planning a big hike in duty on e-bikes from China,that will affect whether forum users still buy an e-bike,it will also affect most of the traders who are the financial contributors to this forum,to the extent that many will cease trading.....is that enough relevance for you.
Post Brexit nobody knows whether the UK will continue with these tariffs.
it's likely that we won't have anti-dumping levy on Chinese e-bikes if we are no longer part of the customs union. E-bikes in the UK would be cheaper than in the EU27.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
Every time i look in this forum, this thread is top of of the recent posts.
I expect this pleases you, seeing you seeing as its you that started this thread. But i cant be the only one that thinks this Brexit shyte has dominated this forum.
This is supposed to be an Ebike forum.
God help us.....such an attitude is responsible for us being in this shitty mess in the first place. Most people here have little concern with the issues which shape their lives and are ignorant of politics. This of course makes them vulnerable to all of the lies propagated by the UK press who are only interested in their own financial ends. Now it is true that we don't have Lions and Christians as a distraction these days but the Royal Family does the job perfectly well.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
God help us.....such an attitude is responsible for us being in this shitty mess in the first place. Most people here have little concern with the issues which shape their lives and are ignorant of politics. This of course makes them vulnerable to all of the lies propagated by the UK press who are only interested in their own financial ends. Now it is true that we don't have Lions and Christians as a distraction these days but the Royal Family does the job perfectly well.
By the time brexit bites the problem will be stopping the Christians eating the lions!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• :D
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Danidl....one of your newspapers compared the cost of a Christmas shopping trip for someone in Ireland going across into the north.
For food the saving was 25%,for toys only 6% but for booze....

Let’s say the Christmas period lasts from the night of December 23rd to the night of January 1st – that is 10 nights. Perhaps you would buy a case of 20 cans of Budweiser (€17/£10), six bottles of Faustino VII red (€74.94/£42), six bottles of Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Chardonnay (€71.94/£42), two bottles of Moet & Chandon Champagne (€100/£68), and one bottle of Jameson, to make Irish coffees, (€24/£22.50).

The bill in the Republic came to €286.94 while the same amount of alcohol bought up north cost £184.50 or €206 which is 39 per cent less.

Thats a big saving and without any tariff differences,no wonder the south is worried about post Brexit losing much business to the north.
From these numbers Ireland has become very expensive.
KudosDave

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Danidl....one of your newspapers compared the cost of a Christmas shopping trip for someone in Ireland going across into the north.
For food the saving was 25%,for toys only 6% but for booze....

Let’s say the Christmas period lasts from the night of December 23rd to the night of January 1st – that is 10 nights. Perhaps you would buy a case of 20 cans of Budweiser (€17/£10), six bottles of Faustino VII red (€74.94/£42), six bottles of Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Chardonnay (€71.94/£42), two bottles of Moet & Chandon Champagne (€100/£68), and one bottle of Jameson, to make Irish coffees, (€24/£22.50).

The bill in the Republic came to €286.94 while the same amount of alcohol bought up north cost £184.50 or €206 which is 39 per cent less.

Thats a big saving and without any tariff differences,no wonder the south is worried about post Brexit losing much business to the north.
From these numbers Ireland has become very expensive.
KudosDave
Those numbers are true, I suspect, and in part reflect the drop in sterling. If we to go further afield say France both UK and Irish consumers would do much better on alcohols. I doubt whether you would find many French people prepared to drop 100euro on a bottle of champers...25 euro more like. Quality wines in France will be had for 8 to 10 euro which will cost 3 times as much in Ireland.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
N.I. to have different rules to the rest of the UK, following another Theresa May concession.

The Irish border will be subject to “regulatory alignment”, a new wording to make acceptance of some EU rules in N.I. sound more acceptable.

Can't see the DUP being thrilled.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Those numbers are true, I suspect, and in part reflect the drop in sterling. If we to go further afield say France both UK and Irish consumers would do much better on alcohols. I doubt whether you would find many French people prepared to drop 100euro on a bottle of champers...25 euro more like. Quality wines in France will be had for 8 to 10 euro which will cost 3 times as much in Ireland.
One of the advantages of living near the Rioja is finding really nice wines at 18€ the 15 liter BIB... :rolleyes: Champagne (drinkable) is from about 14€ and up, 25€ are the better known brands but I prefer unknown names direct from the property at about 17-18€.

But I prefer Blanquette de Limoux: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanquette_de_Limoux the ancestor of Champagne which is about 8€ a bottle.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Can't see the DUP agreeing to this,it will be conceived as a first stage of united Ireland and NI breaking away from the UK.
These are not negotiations,whatever the EU demands we agree to,but maybe within the deal is so much bad for so many different factions in parliament that she will not get this through the house...

The British government appears to have bowed to the Republic of Ireland’s demand that Northern Ireland will not diverge from key EU laws and regulations in the future so as to ensure that a hard border does not return to the island.

According to sources, MEPs were told by the chief Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, that Theresa May had conceded after days of intense talks that the province would be treated as a special case with “continued regulatory alignment” between the north and south of the island after Brexit.

But that is going to make future trade deals with the rest of the world much more difficult...we will have to include NI as a special case when dealing with say the US.
Why not continue with 'regulatory alignment' with the whole of the UK and stay in the EU,I can see Sturgeon in Scotland saying we want the same deal as NI.
Theresa May....another bad day at the office.
KudosDave

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
N.I. to have different rules to the rest of the UK, following another Theresa May concession.

The Irish border will be subject to “regulatory alignment”, a new wording to make acceptance of some EU rules in N.I. sound more acceptable.

Can't see the DUP being thrilled.
The implication would be that the UK as a whole will retain regulatory compliance in those areas . So the DUP need not be worried , UKIP on the other hand...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I was 5 mins too early,but it was obvious......

Sturgeon says Scotland should get same post-Brexit assurance on EU regulation as Northern Ireland
Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, says if Northern Ireland is allowed to maintain regulatory alignment with the EU, Scotland should be get this status too.

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/937675437764960257
Nicola Sturgeon

✔@NicolaSturgeon

If one part of UK can retain regulatory alignment with EU and effectively stay in the single market (which is the right solution for Northern Ireland) there is surely no good practical reason why others cant have the same1:30 PM - Dec 4, 2017

We now seem to be in an odd position where Northern Ireland is getting a post-Brexit guarantee its lead political party does not want (see 1.13pm), while Scotland is being denied the same guarantee even thought its lead political party is in favour.

KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The implication would be that the UK as a whole will retain regulatory compliance in those areas . So the DUP need not be worried , UKIP on the other hand...
Sorry dont understand your posting,surely the UK minus NI will not retain regulatory compliance because May has said we are leaving the customs union. There will have to be customs in the Irish Sea,which the DUP say they dont want.
Remember if the DUP vote against that is 20 votes down,10 plus 10.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Some more comments from the DUP....

Theresa May risks breaching the Good Friday Agreement if she caves in to the EU's demand for Northern Ireland to remain in the single market and customs union at a meeting in Brussels today, Unionists have warned.

Jim Nicholson, an MEP for the Ulster Unionist Party, said granting Northern Ireland special status, which has been pushed aggressively by EU officials and Irish nationalists, would be a "clear violation" of the treaty's principle of consent.

KudosDave

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
If those are the items you are stocking up with for the festive period, I'm impressed by your taste, most of which I agree with.....apart from the 'Bud', so can I come round your gaff for Christmas?:)

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I was 5 mins too early,but it was obvious......

Sturgeon says Scotland should get same post-Brexit assurance on EU regulation as Northern Ireland
Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s first minister, says if Northern Ireland is allowed to maintain regulatory alignment with the EU, Scotland should be get this status too.

Nicola Sturgeon

✔@NicolaSturgeon

If one part of UK can retain regulatory alignment with EU and effectively stay in the single market (which is the right solution for Northern Ireland) there is surely no good practical reason why others cant have the same1:30 PM - Dec 4, 2017

We now seem to be in an odd position where Northern Ireland is getting a post-Brexit guarantee its lead political party does not want (see 1.13pm), while Scotland is being denied the same guarantee even thought its lead political party is in favour.

KudosDave
Item 48 of a15-page joint statement between the European commission and the British government:

“in the absence of agreed solutions the UK will ensure that there continues to be continued regulatory alignment”.

that's politicians double speak for NI to stay in the EU's single market. Scotland and Wales would also like a piece of what NI has.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently not, the regulatory alignment* is for the N.I. border alone. Other UK border points will be hard on present indications, there being no customs union planned for the UK in general.

* Regulatory alignment is newspeak meaning agreeing to EU rules.

Advertisers