Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Your son born and bred in London I assume then, or is he one of these immigrants into London that is causing the problem.

The problem isn't immigrants, its demand vs supply, its also the fact that some can afford to buy to rent, which puts the prices up and reduces the housing stock that is actually available to buy.

Whilst property is an investment, and not just a home, this will always be the case.

But don't blame immigrants for this countries lack of investment, remember those immigrants generate income. That should be being used to support their needs.
My children are born here, in Essex but that's not the point. The economic landscape is naturally complex, remainers keep banging on about the dire economic consequences of brexit which I find often exaggerated. We have a fairly flexible, resilient economy and if my prediction for a soft brexit comes about, it won't be dire. 3% inflation is nothing compared to the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Was that it?
I thought it was an example of using many words to say nothing!
That Document was a waste of ink and paper, just a wish list
The Duck billed Platitude is supposed to be a Fiction.
I agree,it is vague,ambiguous waffle. It doesnt present any positives as to how Brexit is going to improve trade,it really only presents a hope list,suggesting things wont be so bad. But it doesnt address the practical problems of Brexit.
Did anyone find any reference to anti-dumping duties?
What it does show that no plans or decisions have been made if we crash out,what happens on March30?? If no transition deal is achieved then EU and UK trade will be interesting,hehe !!!!
KudosDave

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Here is someone's explanation of 'Brexit':

Brexit made simple!

David Davis is at the golf club returning his locker key when Mr Barnier, the membership secretary sees him.

"Hello Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier. "I'm sorry to hear you are no longer renewing your club membership, if you would like to come to my office we can settle your account”.

"I have settled my bar bill." says Mr Davis.

"Ah yes Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier, "but there are other matters that need settlement.”

In Mr Barniers office - Mr Davis explains that he has settled his bar bill so wonders what else he can possibly owe the Golf Club?

"Well Mr Davis" begins Mr Barnier, "you did agree to buy one of our Club Jackets”.

"Yes" agrees Mr Davis "I did agree to buy a jacket but I haven't received it yet". "As soon as you supply the jacket I will send you a cheque for the full amount”.

"That will not be possible" explains Mr Barnier. "As you are no longer a club member you will not be entitled to buy one of our jackets"!

"But you still want me to pay for it" exclaims Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "That will be £500 for the jacket. There is also your bar bill".

"But I've already settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "but as you can appreciate, we need to place our orders from the Brewery in advance to ensure our bar is properly stocked". "You regularly used to spend at least £50 a week in the bar so we have placed orders with the brewery accordingly for the coming year. You therefore owe us £2600 for the year".

"Will you still allow me to have these drinks?" asks Mr Davis.

"No of course not Mr Davis". "You are no longer a club member!" says Mr Barnier. "Next is your restaurant bill" continues Mr Barnier. "In the same manner we have to make arrangements in advance with our catering suppliers". "Your average restaurant bill was in the order of £300 a month, so we'll require payment of £3600 for the next year".

"I don't suppose you'll be letting me have these meals either" asks Mr Davis. "No, of course not" says an irritated Mr Barnier, "you are no longer a club member!”

"Then of course" Mr Barnier continues, "there are repairs to the clubhouse roof".

"Clubhouse roof" exclaims Mr Davis, "What's that got to do with me?"

"Well it still needs to be repaired and the builders are coming in next week", your share of the bill is £2000”.

"I see" says Mr Davis, "anything else?".

"Now you mention it" says Mr Barnier, "there is Fred the Barman's pension". "We would like you to pay £5 a week towards Fred's pension when he retires next month". "He's not well you know so I doubt we'll need to ask you for payment for longer than about five years, so £1300 should do it” "This brings your total bill to £10,000"

"Let me get this straight" says Mr Davis, "you want me to pay £500 for a jacket you won't let me have, £2600 for beverages you won't let me drink and £3600 for food you won't let me eat, all under a roof I won't be allowed under and not served by a bloke who's going to retire next month!”

"Yes, it's all perfectly clear and quite reasonable" says Mr Barnier.

"**** off!" says Mr Davis

Now we understand what Brexit is all about!!!!!

Tom:D

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
My children are born here, in Essex but that's not the point. The economic landscape is naturally complex, remainers keep banging on about the dire economic consequences of brexit which I find often exaggerated. We have a fairly flexible, resilient economy and if my prediction for a soft brexit comes about, it won't be dire. 3% inflation is nothing compared to the 70s, 80s and 90s.
I dont think Remainers do keep banging on about dire economy post Brexit we just dont believe the Leavers claims of a land of milk and honey. At the moment business is very good,now that the £ seems to be recovering against the US dollar.
Leavers just dont seem to give us good reasons why we are taking the risk.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Leavers just dont seem to give us good reasons why we are taking the risk.
KudosDave
you don't listen to them anymore than they listen to you. They don't want more immigration, more Brussels interference and certainly no US of E.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
But in the 70's and 80's houses didnt cost £200k plus and seven times the average income. I would be very nervous buying a house in London at this moment,it only needs a dire event to happen somewhere with war mongers like Trump around,the uncertainty of Brexit,problems in the middle east for BoE rates to rocket,definitely buy on a long fixed rate,unless trading down.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I am not aware that the irish border problem has been sorted... today's irish papers don't have any such information. What information do you have and from what source. ? As you might expect I have a vested interest here.
Danidl....

UK and EU negotiators are increasingly optimistic that sufficient agreement on the future of the Irish border can be reached in the coming days to progress Brexit talks to the next stage.

Sources indicate the ground has now been laid for political agreement on the question of the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland after Brexit, which would allow both sides to start discussing the UK’s future trading relationship with the bloc.

“Yesterday was a substantial breakthrough and has given everyone a sense of optimism that a landing zone is in sight,” said an EU source familiar with the negotiations.

See.its all been solved,whatever 'substantial breakthrough' means,hehe!!!!
Looks like political waffle,maybe the £50billion cured the border problem.!!!
KudosDave

It is the point. Immigration / emigration is just about moving. I immigrated into Yorkshire from Gloucestershire. Thats actually further than people moving from France to London.

You said this..

I am a close observer of house/rent prices in London because my son wants to sell his flat and buy a house just at the time of the referendum. He is still at it. You are probably aware how high rent is in London. The effect of immigration is nowhere more obvious than house prices in London. It's not fake news.

Your Son is to blame as much as anyone else. London is a hub, just like any major city.

leaving the EU won't solve that all. If there isn't immigrants from the EU and the prices drop, the pressure will come from Essex, or Oxfordshire, or India. You can't stop progress, unless of course we do something daft that means no one wants to come here, which kills demand. Which would then of course mean your Son wouldn;t want to live in London either would he.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Danidl....

UK and EU negotiators are increasingly optimistic that sufficient agreement on the future of the Irish border can be reached in the coming days to progress Brexit talks to the next stage.

Sources indicate the ground has now been laid for political agreement on the question of the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland after Brexit, which would allow both sides to start discussing the UK’s future trading relationship with the bloc.

“Yesterday was a substantial breakthrough and has given everyone a sense of optimism that a landing zone is in sight,” said an EU source familiar with the negotiations.

See.its all been solved,whatever 'substantial breakthrough' means,hehe!!!!
Looks like political waffle,maybe the £50billion cured the border problem.!!!
KudosDave
The confidence of UK Brexit negotiators is legendary.
It is only exceeded by the confident ignorance of some British politicians and commentators when discussing the motivations of their fellow UK subjects in NI and their total ignorance of the rest of Ireland. I make that statement in the light of a number of reported speeches in recent days.

I would however hold my powder dry. There is ,as I see it, one report in a single newspaper recycled by a number of other outlets. Is it my fantasy or is it the case that the Times, is one of the Murdoch papers? If so could there be other agendas at work, such as an attempt to spread blame. ?

The DUP have latched onto it and are making comments, which might well be viewed as unhelpful.

Whatever proposals have or are being mooted, they need to be sustainable into the long term, not just for a short transition period. The government of the RoI will not be bounced into an expedient arrangement. Both major parties in the RoI, and the entire civil service are as one on this.

Until there is some form of clarity, there is no point in speculating .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
eaving the EU won't solve that all. If there isn't immigrants from the EU and the prices drop, the pressure will come from Essex, or Oxfordshire, or India. You can't stop progress, unless of course we do something daft that means no one wants to come here, which kills demand. Which would then of course mean your Son wouldn;t want to live in London either would he.
brexit does not mean no immigrants, it's just at more sustainable and controlled level. They have to live in London because of their jobs and they want to start a family. Prices of a 3-bed house in London have reached stupid levels. Both of them work very hard just to afford to pay the mortgage. Killing the stupid demand for investment in London properties is just what I want for my children.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Here is someone's explanation of 'Brexit':

Brexit made simple!

David Davis is at the golf club returning his locker key when Mr Barnier, the membership secretary sees him.

"Hello Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier. "I'm sorry to hear you are no longer renewing your club membership, if you would like to come to my office we can settle your account”.

"I have settled my bar bill." says Mr Davis.

"Ah yes Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier, "but there are other matters that need settlement.”

In Mr Barniers office - Mr Davis explains that he has settled his bar bill so wonders what else he can possibly owe the Golf Club?

"Well Mr Davis" begins Mr Barnier, "you did agree to buy one of our Club Jackets”.

"Yes" agrees Mr Davis "I did agree to buy a jacket but I haven't received it yet". "As soon as you supply the jacket I will send you a cheque for the full amount”.

"That will not be possible" explains Mr Barnier. "As you are no longer a club member you will not be entitled to buy one of our jackets"!

"But you still want me to pay for it" exclaims Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "That will be £500 for the jacket. There is also your bar bill".

"But I've already settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "but as you can appreciate, we need to place our orders from the Brewery in advance to ensure our bar is properly stocked". "You regularly used to spend at least £50 a week in the bar so we have placed orders with the brewery accordingly for the coming year. You therefore owe us £2600 for the year".

"Will you still allow me to have these drinks?" asks Mr Davis.

"No of course not Mr Davis". "You are no longer a club member!" says Mr Barnier. "Next is your restaurant bill" continues Mr Barnier. "In the same manner we have to make arrangements in advance with our catering suppliers". "Your average restaurant bill was in the order of £300 a month, so we'll require payment of £3600 for the next year".

"I don't suppose you'll be letting me have these meals either" asks Mr Davis. "No, of course not" says an irritated Mr Barnier, "you are no longer a club member!”

"Then of course" Mr Barnier continues, "there are repairs to the clubhouse roof".

"Clubhouse roof" exclaims Mr Davis, "What's that got to do with me?"

"Well it still needs to be repaired and the builders are coming in next week", your share of the bill is £2000”.

"I see" says Mr Davis, "anything else?".

"Now you mention it" says Mr Barnier, "there is Fred the Barman's pension". "We would like you to pay £5 a week towards Fred's pension when he retires next month". "He's not well you know so I doubt we'll need to ask you for payment for longer than about five years, so £1300 should do it” "This brings your total bill to £10,000"

"Let me get this straight" says Mr Davis, "you want me to pay £500 for a jacket you won't let me have, £2600 for beverages you won't let me drink and £3600 for food you won't let me eat, all under a roof I won't be allowed under and not served by a bloke who's going to retire next month!”

"Yes, it's all perfectly clear and quite reasonable" says Mr Barnier.

"**** off!" says Mr Davis

Now we understand what Brexit is all about!!!!!

Tom:D
And of course says Mr Barnier," if you are prepared to pay your sub for the next year and also write an irrevocable letter of intent to leave at the end of next year, well you can wear the jacket for the year, use up the supplies of that rare vintage whiskey, and continue to enjoy the prawn cocktails.. We will however not purchase new supplies of these.."

• Agree
brexit does not mean no immigrants, it's just at more sustainable and controlled level. They have to live in London because of their jobs and they want to start a family. Prices of a 3-bed house in London have reached stupid levels. Both of them work very hard just to afford to pay the mortgage. Killing the stupid demand for investment in London properties is just what I want for my children.
Well I can't see demand for houses in London going down, can you ... really? If we keep going down the tax haven route we are and the £ keeps falling more and more will be sold to foreign investment.

And saying the current level is unsustainable, when we can currently control it, but choose not to, is daft, there is a reason the government haven't been controlling the numbers whilst claiming they wanted do... and its ££££, and the fact we need the immigrants. How do you think was the recent Home Secretary responsible for this issue?

The level is currently sustainable and controllable. The problem is some people don't like it, and the goverment doesn't use the money it generates to support the increase in population.

They are part of the problem and you wanting to think they aren't because of they are related to you is just, well hypocritical. Also if there is a population problem, here's a solution. DON'T START A FAMILY IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.

If they can't afford to live where they do... MOVE.

Last edited:
  • Agree

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
.. so the DUP in the form of sammy and ian wants to scupper any possibility of an agreement on a working border. Remember the RoI has to agree and will be listened to by the other 26 . Now how can this be spun by the Tories?

Oh yes ... "Today the UK government has decided to terminate the confidence and supply agreement with a fringe party , this action will result in a saving of 1.5billion...... and a General Election,,turkeys and Christmas! "
Well, if any of the other 26 don`t want to agree, then simple, the UK just walks away... NO DEAL!

Everybody else can then just sort themselves out.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
the last one, which counts.

remainers didn't and still don't fight hard enough.
.....and when they do, the fight tends to consist of telling those who voted to leave the EU that they lack the awareness to know what they voted for. This type of approach will never win anyone over.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Well, if any of the other 26 don`t want to agree, then simple, the UK just walks away... NO DEAL!

Everybody else can then just sort themselves out.
Tommie, I hope you are not that simple!
Hard border, no agriculture north south, no financial services, no energy market, no money from London to keep NI services going, no european flights from Ryan air , no enterprise express to dublin, 27 versus 1
RoI badly hurt, rest of Europe slightly hurt, UK severely hurt, NI extremely hurt.

SHAN

De-registered
Oct 13, 2017
Scotland
Killing the stupid demand for investment in London properties is just what I want for my childre
Same applies in many areas, although not as extreme. Genie is out of the bottle l fear though. Regarding the control of immigration, I do not think that will apply to the super rich from countries afar that buy property in London and don't live in it. Double standards in the book of rules you see.

Advertisers