Brexit, for once some facts.

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
actually, yes.
The current level is 3 times more sustainable compared to before.
The weakness of the Pound also helps.
People who come here are more likely to to stay long term.
Sustainability is about revenue (taxes that pay for schools, hospitals, roads) and skilled person power to deliver services. As we all know immigrants pay significantly more tax than they consume, and are more skilled. The UK is loosing sustainability, not gaining it.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Is it perchance an article floated in the London Times? . The linked article from Reuters is suggesting that it's not quite plain sailing but maybe sufficient to start negotiating upon. I would be inclined to think .. if it were a seriously considered option it would have been tabled months ago.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sustainability is about revenue (taxes that pay for schools, hospitals, roads) and skilled person power to deliver services. As we all know immigrants pay significantly more tax than they consume, and are more skilled. The UK is loosing sustainability, not gaining it.
we may have lost a bit of tax from 100,000 fewer immigrants but you should balance that against its effect on house price inflation which is also the prime force behind the high cost of residential rents.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yesterday there was a report on Arte news that I listened to with half an ear. There were men from Hull interviewed saying "We will be better off", "We make the best steel products in the world everything will be fine". And all the list of good things that will happen that were on the vote leave web site...

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
we may have lost a bit of tax from 100,000 fewer immigrants but you should balance that against its effect on house price inflation which is also the prime force behind the high cost of residential rents.
House price inflation is the result of neoconservative tax raids on pension funds(Gordon brown), ditto closure of final salary schemes. And ultra low interest rates compensating for what banks did to the economy. Its interesting you mention it, to me its classic fake news(I'm not saying your making this link, but nonetheless) to link house price inflation with immigration, the EU - to distract the intellectually impaired from noticing its the direct effect of successive Conservative UK governments mismanagement of the economy

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the austerity affects mainly the poorest 20% - a lot of brexiters have higher income than them.
Also, the effect of 17 years wage stagnation (as you said, as reported, eg past stagnation) is going to be mitigated by the 3% inflation. Don't count on it to change people's vote.
Have you any idea of how troublesome 20% of the population could prove to be?
To shrug them off like that is extremely dangerous!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I dont see your Polish plumber is the prime driver of house price inflation. From past experience houses have always been priced at the limit of affordability and that is directly linked to interest rates. This prolonged period of almost zero rates makes it possible for Mr average to pay high prices for houses,it only needs the interest rates to tickle upwards and prices will start to fall. Similarly with rents,at one time I had over 100 tenants,the rents were fixed on affordability against buying...in many cases it is cheaper to buy than rent,but buyers just cant get the deposits together....the banks are frightened to give high percentage mortgages because if we get a period of high inflation ,house values will plummet and the deposit will be the banks protection against mortgage loss....they learnt that lesson in 2008.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: Steb and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Bicycle Association have advised.

"EU-level measures such as anti-dumping would have to be separately
implemented, though, by a post-Brexit UK if not still part of the customs
union, and the recent trade white paper addresses this saying the UK would
need to set up its own trade remedies processes (section
5.1):

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-sets-out-vision-for-post
-eu-trade-and-customs-policy

There's a sub-section there about existing EU anti dumping measures - these
could lapse immediately for the UK post 'no deal' Brexit unless carried over
by a separate UK implementation... the process for which is not yet in
place."

Can you imagine how many things aren't currently in place across all the sectors. Its insane.
If those anti-dumping duties lapsed immediately that would open our poorly invested industries to the might of the chinese manufacturing machine. I an buy a really nice little folder in China for less than 50 dollars,it is only the anti dumping duties that stops me from buying,it would be a lovely little city bike.
KudosDave

If those anti-dumping duties lapsed immediately that would open our poorly invested industries to the might of the chinese manufacturing machine. I an buy a really nice little folder in China for less than 50 dollars,it is only the anti dumping duties that stops me from buying,it would be a lovely little city bike.
KudosDave
yup the bike industry as we know it in the UK would be knackered. We'd be flooded with Chinese bikes over night

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
House price inflation is the result of neoconservative tax raids on pension funds(Gordon brown), ditto closure of final salary schemes. And ultra low interest rates compensating for what banks did to the economy. Its interesting you mention it, to me its classic fake news(I'm not saying your making this link, but nonetheless) to link house price inflation with immigration, the EU - to distract the intellectually impaired from noticing its the direct effect of successive Conservative UK governments mismanagement of the economy
I am a close observer of house/rent prices in London because my son wants to sell his flat and buy a house just at the time of the referendum. He is still at it. You are probably aware how high rent is in London. The effect of immigration is nowhere more obvious than house prices in London. It's not fake news.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Have you any idea of how troublesome 20% of the population could prove to be?
To shrug them off like that is extremely dangerous!
there is no single reason why people voted for brexit, austerity is just one of many. If they have to vote again, those 20% with the least income will likely to stick to their previous choice.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It strikes me that Mr barniers intervention was "ultra vires " and not helpful. But perhaps it lost some of its nuances in translation?
'Danidl', I cannot imagine how you arrive at that conclusion. Barnier is a plain speaker and I believe he is careful not to be the cause of any animosity by speaking on his own behalf, knowing full well that his own people would deny any knowledge should it portray them in a bad light.

The matter of Turkey's membership of NATO is irrelevant in this, as is the fact that the USA is a member of interpol, one of almost 200 countries.

Sadly, the UK continues to aver its commitment to both the USA and Israel, backing the foreign policy of each of those warmongering countries. We are repeatedly told that a 'special relationship' exists between the UK and the USA but the tory government chose to ignore the advice of the then incumbent US President at the time of the EU referendum. In so doing, the UK also ignored the advice of the American intelligence services.

It promises to be a cold and lonely place outside the EU.

Tom

I am a close observer of house/rent prices in London because my son wants to sell his flat and buy a house just at the time of the referendum. He is still at it. You are probably aware how high rent is in London. The effect of immigration is nowhere more obvious than house prices in London. It's not fake news.
Your son born and bred in London I assume then, or is he one of these immigrants into London that is causing the problem.

The problem isn't immigrants, its demand vs supply, its also the fact that some can afford to buy to rent, which puts the prices up and reduces the housing stock that is actually available to buy.

Whilst property is an investment, and not just a home, this will always be the case.

But don't blame immigrants for this countries lack of investment, remember those immigrants generate income. That should be being used to support their needs.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
.. so the DUP in the form of sammy and ian wants to scupper any possibility of an agreement on a working border. Remember the RoI has to agree and will be listened to by the other 26 . Now how can this be spun by the Tories?

Oh yes ... "Today the UK government has decided to terminate the confidence and supply agreement with a fringe party , this action will result in a saving of 1.5billion "

Advertisers