Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why Britain has stagnated
for me, the reason why the British economy stagnates is the over reliance on the banks.
We bet our house on the big four banks, litterally, since MT was in power.
When the crisis of 2008 arrived, Gordon Brown has little choice than supporting the banks. The consequence of that is the conservative governments had to maintain apparent economic stability so we can continue to nurture the banks. That limits the amountb of money they can borrow not to spook the market and drown the banks. Reeves has no greater choice other than taxing wealth. She will have to tone down demands of her own party members or she'll follow Kwasi Kwateng.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The polls are biased in the hope that nobody will notice when they try to cheat again in the election. Real independent polls of actual people show trump 75% and Kamala 25%. This one's going to be a stormer. I've ordered a truck load of popcorn and invited all my friends round to watch it.
I know you invite critical thinking but even Fox News' own poll shows Harris leading Trump by 3 points in Georgia. Harris also leads in NV, PA and WI and even may win Florida.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Why Britain has stagnated

That is probably the best explanation of our nation's moribund, and poverty stricken state that I have ever read, and as it happens, the writers blame principally my great hates - the 1947, Town and Country Planning Act and the power to halt development handed to nimby idiots, and the over regulation and gold plated safety nonsense that we see everywhere stopping anything being done.

Why does a power station require a third of a million pages of guff about its safety and decades of delay?

How is it that South Korea can build nuclear power plant at a small fraction of the cost than we can, and in a fraction of the time? The Planning process. How is it that we have wind farms NOT producing power and being paid to stay that way? The Planning process, which prevents us building pylons. Motorway Car charging parks are told they can't be connected to the grid at the capacity they need for ten years. Why? The planning process. Solar farms - the same. Our housing costs are vast, mostly because we can't build more - guess why? Not forgetting that while our house building levels are catastrophically low, we also constantly import migrants at unsustainable levels - about ten million since 1995. Where do we all live? Increasingly in rabbit hutch sized properties that take up at least three times the amount of our annual income to procure that they did fifty years ago.

This essay has it all. The government needs to have it put i front of them and they should not be allowed to leave the room until they have read and accepted all of it.

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
I know you invite critical thinking but even Fox News' own poll shows Harris leading Trump by 3 points in Georgia. Harris also leads in NV, PA and WI and even may win Florida.
Apparently hysterical right wing media always overestimate the threat to encourage outraged right wing voter turnout. Happens on this side of the pond also.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I guess a few people never figured this out. The floods from storm surges are shorting electrics on battery powered vehicles, which starts a fire, then the battery catches fire. In the case of small scooters and ebikes, the shorts probably cause the battery to explode directly. The fire service is now warning people, who's cars got contaminated by salt water, not to park their cars near their houses. That's a bit awkward. Two years ago, hurricane Ian killed 5000 EV batteries and caused 36 of them to catch fire. Maybe don't park your EV on Brighten promenade if you see black clouds coming:

• Informative
Reactions: MikelBikel

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I guess a few people never figured this out. The floods from storm surges are shorting electrics on battery powered vehicles, which starts a fire, then the battery catches fire. In the case of small scooters and ebikes, the shorts probably cause the battery to explode directly. The fire service is now warning people, who's cars got contaminated by salt water, not to park their cars near their houses. That's a bit awkward. Two years ago, hurricane Ian killed 5000 EV batteries and caused 36 of them to catch fire. Maybe don't park your EV on Brighten promenade if you see black clouds coming:

Even ice cars are write-offs after being submerged in salty water.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you can fix anything just dump the electric can bus b$ :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

What a load of rubbish, the anti EV crowd can't stop this sort of exaggeration:

"How common are EV fires after flooding?
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been researching this problem since it was first seen after Hurricane Sandy struck the Northeast in 2012. But no one seems to have detailed statistics on just how often this happens.

Two years ago, Hurricane Ian compromised the batteries of as may as 5,000 electric vehicles, and 36 of them caught fire."

Someone was in such haste to post this nonsense they left the "n" out of many. If is was as many as 5000, possibly it was as few as 1.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Someone was in such haste to post this nonsense they left the "n" out of many. If is was as many as 5000, possibly it was as few as 1.
From the Herald Tribune:

There were 21 electric vehicle-related fires after Hurricane Ian in 2022 and two EV battery fires due to the floodwaters that followed Hurricane Idalia in 2023.

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Only two burned in last year flood, not a great risk considering that the cars are already submerged in water.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From the Herald Tribune:

There were 21 electric vehicle-related fires after Hurricane Ian in 2022 and two EV battery fires due to the floodwaters that followed Hurricane Idalia in 2023.

Key things though are that:

The US isn't the world, and as I posted well over a decade ago, it was the least suitable place in the world to introduce e-cars in their early developmental years. The adverse factors there are the very long distances, the temperature range from Alaska to Florida, the other weather extremes such as hurricanes, tornados, floods and snow depths.

Tesla, due to cavalier safety attitudes, are the undisputed champions when it comes to EV fires, and they have 52.5% of the entire market there.

Reactions: Woosh

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Prices of EVs in the UK are still way too high. EVs should be much cheaper to make than ICE equivalents and that has not happened yet.
Tesla model 2 with aluminium-ion battery will be on sale in the US for as little as $7000. The battery can be charged in minutes and last all the car's lifetime.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If anyone has any doubt about how quickly artificial intelligence has been delveloped, you should watch a few yt videos about chatGPT's latest o1 release. It can beat PhD students in physics and their professors in problem solving. Google DeepMind now designs AI chips by itself.
If you ever wonder how computers do to mimic the brain, watch this video:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Prices of EVs in the UK are still way too high. EVs should be much cheaper to make than ICE equivalents and that has not happened yet.
Tesla model 2 with aluminium-ion battery will be on sale in the US for as little as $7000. The battery can be charged in minutes and last all the car's lifetime.
It's still the battery cost problem.

Citroen have launced their new Citroën Ë-C3, aimed at a low price point, but it's still nearly £22,000. And only down to that due to it's historic range of 170 miles, as low as below half that in Winter, thanks to to it not having heat pump aircon to keep the price down.

That range was ok on my new Leaf in 2018 six years ago and that had a heat pump climate control, but since then at least 220 miles with an over 300 miles option and heat pump is necessary in today's mainstream e-car market.

As for Tesla's new battery, I'll believe it when they are selling in large numbers. At present they can't even make enough 21700 and 4680 cells.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh