Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's still the battery cost problem.

Citroen have launced their new Citroën Ë-C3, aimed at a low price point, but it's still nearly £22,000. And only down to that due to it's historic range of 170 miles, as low as below half that in Winter, thanks to to it not having heat pump aircon to keep the price down.

That range was ok on my new Leaf in 2018 six years ago and that had a heat pump climate control, but since then at least 220 miles with an over 300 miles option and heat pump is necessary in today's mainstream e-car market.

As for Tesla's new battery, I'll believe it when they are selling in large numbers. At present they can't even make enough 21700 and 4680 cells.
Musk launched his robotaxi and showed off his Model 2 yesterday.
Did you watch Vance Walz debate?

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Did you watch Vance Walz debate?
No I didn't. I'm not following US politics at present for two reasons:

It's too messy at this stage to tell what the trend is.

And since the USA has appointed itself the world's police force, while clearly being unfit for that role without strong supervision, we should ALL have some form of representation in their democratic system.

• Agree
Reactions: joelectric

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Musk launched his robotaxi
Actually the launch will be on 10th October.

The Tesla CEO has boiled his investment case down to a binary bet on whether his team can crack the code for unsupervised full self-driving (FSD)—a technology so complex he’s likened it to a baby form of artificial general intelligence.

Currently his cars can already drive on their own using a sophisticated onboard computer trained on video data harvested from Teslas already on the road. But they may do the wrong thing at the worst time and require constant supervision, like a teenager with a learner’s permit. Eliminating this risk would be akin to Tesla’s very own ChatGPT moment, according to Musk.

I'm betting he'll fail.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm betting he'll fail.
I must say I too, am not convinced.
His cars do not notice a lot of things and Musk still does not want to equip his cars with Lidar. Until he does, his cars can only estimate distances, not measure so can't see properly. Until they do, the car's AI can't predict accurately what humans, animals, other vehicles intentions, their taxis will still need a driver in the car ready to take over.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Whatever Happened To The Push To CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) Cars And Trucks? Is It Still The SMARTEST Green Solution?

Compressed Natural Gas Motorcycle And It makes Total Sense

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Whatever Happened To The Push To CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) Cars And Trucks? Is It Still The SMARTEST Green Solution?
Let's go straight to EVs. The issue is clean air, nobody wants to live next to a waste processing centre that our cities have become.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
As long as there are no &/€€%!#@ computers in the car, it just needs a new battery for £100?
Run a dehumidifier to get the moisture out..
Salt water, a different matter. :rolleyes:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Last edited by a moderator:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my power station up the road burns our rubbish yet we pay for it to be taken away and then charged for fkn burning it to make electric its a fkn scam!

17 ppl up our road have inverters in there loft fitted in 2015 and none of them work as there bills are 200 quid a month.

our ;last bill was 105 but as long as the bean counter on the wall is working they dont give a crap[ if the inverter is out of warranty and not working and they dont even service them or clean the panels.

according to the council the inverts are good for 25 years same as the panels, 4 inverters have exploded and taken out the mains power box that feeds the houses and 1 was a smart meter.

Reactions: MikelBikel

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
my power station up the road burns our rubbish yet we pay for it to be taken away and then charged for fkn burning it to make electric its a fkn scam!

17 ppl up our road have inverters in there loft fitted in 2015 and none of them work as there bills are 200 quid a month.

our ;last bill was 105 but as long as the bean counter on the wall is working they dont give a crap[ if the inverter is out of warranty and not working and they dont even service them or clean the panels.

according to the council the inverts are good for 25 years same as the panels, 4 inverters have exploded and taken out the mains power box that feeds the houses and 1 was a smart meter.
You could try burning the rubbish yourself and use it to heat your house. Cut out the middlemen and keep the profit for yourself.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we are not allowed to fit wood / anything burning anymore in a council house.

i even just had the hole bathroom ripped out and asked for a mixer shower to be fitted as the hole floor was up and easy to install.

they said no even if i paid for it and fitted a shite 9kw electric shower because its all about the money and still no one wants the 2 houses up the road with heat pumps fitted , oh no its only a 500 quid a month electric bill with a 14kw heat pump made buy bosch :eek:

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ed Miliband’s bid to move the UK on to green energy risks destabilising the National Grid, a leading EDF executive has warned.
Rachael Glaving said that by abandoning stable forms of energy generation, such as coal, gas and nuclear, the grid would be reliant on intermittent sources such as wind and solar.
we shut down the last coal fired power station, not a nuclear reactor. #
Her comment is a little self serving.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
we shut down the last coal fired power station, not a nuclear reactor. #
Her comment is a little self serving.
I read the article a few days ago, and am not going to look again at it, but as we all know, Miliband is intending to shut down not just one coal fired power station (i have no problem with that) but all of the gas fired stations which come on stream only when our wind farms cant keep up, or as last week, are totally still.

The big problem is that in winter we quite often get periods of many days when there is no wind and next to no sun. These winter high situations come several times each year and they often last for days and even a week or more. There is absolutely NO WAY any kind of affordable battery system can deal with a forty gigawatt demand level for a week, or even a day.

The other week, you were talking about the marvellous opportunity of purloining the stored energy in the nations (by then) twenty million electric cars. Rough calculation suggests to me that the entire capacity of these batteries might last a day and would then totally drain the entire car fleet. What about the next several days? What is more, can you imagine the massive demand that would come on when the wind started to blow again and the nation's car fleet started pulling down power for charging? We would have the mother of all brown outs and the national A/C grid frequency would be through the floor. This idea of phasing out ALL fossil fuel use is stupid, damaging and utterly impractical. This is why I detest Miliband - hes an utter tw @t and an idiot with his head in the clouds. I am a big fan of wind power, but it needs strong back up that can operate for as much as a week, or we will all be sitting around warming ourselves in the dark with a candle in a plant pot

And this is all before we even think about banning gas boilers and forcing useless heat pumps on the population. These will increase the power demand hugely and they don't work in cold weather. I know people who have them because most people in mid Northumberland have to heat with oil and some have tried to move onto heat pumps to get ahead of the compulsion. They are in all cases but one that I know of, VERY disappointed. The one who is content, spent about forty thousand having his entire house lined with insulation about five inches thick and has ten solar panels on his roof. The cost of all of this was massive. I was there the other day and it wasn't that warm, even in September.

Last edited:
  • Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
20241003_162231[1].jpg

:p and when theres a power cut none of it works:eek:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I read the article a few days ago, and am not going to look again at it, but as we all know, Miliband is intending to shut down not just one coal fired power station (i have no problem with that) but all of the gas fired stations which come on stream only when our wind farms cant keep up, or as last week, are totally still.
I did read the article, Miliband did not say anything about shutting down gas fired power stations. Gas has been the cheapest source of power for a long time and should continue to be so for another generation (in the US, an oil barrel equivalent in gas costs only $12) until we have enough battery capacity to even out dips in renewables.