Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
If you post the same things that he says on TV, Starmer's prosecutors may read your posts. If he says it on GBNews then it's political debates. Some may think that they pay him to say things than you and I can't say.
Where do we live?

Is this North Korea?

I get the feeling some would like it to be - at least in terms of how they could suppress the opinions of those they dislike.

If they thought more carefully, they might realise that once opinions can be proscribed, it would soon mean that no one could say anything without taking a risk.

But maybe you were joking Comrade.... :)

Reactions: MikelBikel

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I get the feeling some would like it to be - at least in terms of how they could suppress the opinions of those they dislike.
not suppress, just hold accountable.
If you and I sow division, whip up grievances, push people to riot, we'll be hauled up in Court.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
not suppress, just hold accountable.
If you and I sow division, whip up grievances, push people to riot, we'll be hauled up in Court.
I have no time for rioters, or people who incite violence online. The problem is, who decides what incitement is. It seems to me, that in one case, someone was arrested for saying, "all hellwill break loose!".

That was plain and simple oppression.

Someone shouting or putting online words that clearly urge to violence is entirely different.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
By the way - in a free society, what is to stop people 'whipping up grievances'?

Does not ASLEF 'whip up grievances'?

The Guardian whips them up every day. Owen Jones never writes a piece without whipping them up. Niether does Polly Toynbee, or John Grace.

The problem for some, is that they only want and allow their own grievances to be aired.

Grievance isn't the problem. Incitement to violence is a very different matter.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
By the way - in a free society, what is to stop people 'whipping up grievances'?

Does not ASLEF 'whip up grievances'?

The Guardian whips them up every day. Owen Jones never writes a piece without whipping them up. Niether does Polly Toynbee, or John Grace.

The problem for some, is that they only want and allow their own grievances to be aired.

Grievance isn't the problem. Incitement to violence is a very different matter.
Grievances like asylum seekers are given priority for council houses.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It seems to me, that in one case, someone was arrested for saying, "all hell will break loose!".
Don't be silly, she was arrested because her tweet was the first recorded instance of the false rumour that sparked the riots (ie that the perpetrator was a Muslim refugee that had arrived on a small boat and was on the MI6 watch list)

Obviously the police wanted to see if she had made this up for clicks (& revenue), had got it from somewhere else or was part of a wider conspiracy to start the riots.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Don't be silly, she was arrested because her tweet was the first recorded instance of the false rumour that sparked the riots (ie that the perpetrator was a Muslim refugee that had arrived on a small boat and was on the MI6 watch list)

Obviously the police wanted to see if she had made this up for clicks (& revenue), had got it from somewhere else or was part of a wider conspiracy to start the riots.
You may think it 'SILLY' Peter. I do not. Arresting someone is a serious and a highly intrusive step - especially when their supposed 'offence' is that they typed something on a computer that no one in their right mind who speaks English at GCSE levels of comprehension, could in any way regard as an incitement to violence.

What some of you people seem incapable of grasping is that the act passed by the last government hands a shocking amount of power to the police and to politicians to control speech and writing. We don't have free speech anymore. Police arrested a woman who did not incite violence and has an obvious defence to even the overbearing online communications act offence of communicating false information to cause harm.

I note that she has not been charged yet.

Police who suspect a crime need not arrest a person of interest. They can talk to them to clarify matters.

This is not Putin's Russia.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
You may think it 'SILLY' Peter. I do not. Arresting someone is a serious and a highly intrusive step - especially when their supposed 'offence' is that they typed something on a computer that no one in their right mind who speaks English at GCSE levels of comprehension, could in any way regard as an incitement to violence.
It was this rumour that North West Infidels, North East Infidels, etc used as a pretext for the anti muslim / anti mosque riots.

I note that she has not been charged yet.
Neither have the Manchester Airport suspects - I wouldn't read anything into it either way

What some of you people seem incapable of grasping is that the act passed by the last government hands a shocking amount of power to the police and to politicians to control speech and writing
She was also arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred, which, if I remember correctly, was implemented by the Thatcher government

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Asylum seekers with children are given priority over other people.

A month ago, i spoke to a respectably dressed man of about 64, in a shop doorway with a sleeping bag. I asked him if he was alright and how had he come to be camping in a doorway. He told me he had stopped his work to look after his wife who had cancer, and that they had been able to pay their rent from some savings and the attendance allowance he got as her carer. She has since died, and he was then of course cut off from the attendance allowance. He was evicted from the house they had rented and was unable to obtain accomodation.

Now i do not know that he has or has not navigated properly the laberynthine council process, but i do know he was on the streets and said he was refused help, and i do know that plenty of new migrant families who have crossed the channel uninvited from France have been put into council houses. I know of one in particular that i have seen with my own eyes.

Do i think the situation is right and proper that a man after probably nearly fifty years of tax contribution is on the streets and an African woman lately arrived illegally in England has a council house in a village near me?

No. I do not.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
It was this rumour that North West Infidels, North East Infidels, etc used as a pretext for the anti muslim / anti mosque riots.

Neither have the Manchester Airport suspects - I wouldn't read anything into it either way

She was also arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred, which, if I remember correctly, was implemented by the Thatcher government
What pretexts lunatic extremists say have motivated them to commit inexcusable crimes ought not to be used to arrest people who were not there, and who did not urge, or suggest riot, and if you are correct in saying she was charged with incitement to racial hatred, she should never have been arrested, when she did not in fact incite racial hatred.

Asking her to attend an interview to talk about the matter, MIGHT have been reasonable.

Last edited:

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
Asylum seekers with children are given priority over other people.

A month ago, i spoke to a respectably dressed man of about 64, in a shop doorway with a sleeping bag. I asked him if he was alright and how had he come to be camping in a doorway. He told me he had stopped his work to look after his wife who had cancer, and that they had been able to pay their rent from some savings and the attendance allowance he got as her carer. She has since died, and he was then of course cut off from the attendance allowance. He was evicted from the house they had rented and was unable to obtain accomodation.

Now i do not know that he has or has not navigated properly the laberynthine council process, but i do know he was on the streets and said he was refused help, and i do know that plenty of new migrant families who have crossed the channel uninvited from France have been put into council houses. I know of one in particular that i have seen with my own eyes.

Do i think the situation is right and proper that a man after probably nearly fifty years of tax contribution is on the streets and an African woman lately arrived illegally in England has a council house in a village near me?

No. I do not.
Fishy. Why didn't he claim Universal Credit with the housing element?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Fishy. Why didn't he claim Universal Credit with the housing element?
Who knows? Perhaps he was not that good at navigating the bureaucracy of the benefits system, but the fact is that a respectably dressed, sober looking elderly man was lying in a shop doorway at about eight in the evening with a bag of possessions and a sleeping bag. Meanwhile - it is beyond dispute that people with no business here and no right to entry our country, are here as the result of criminal entry and are provided with accommodation and sometimes scarce resources such as council houses.

Maybe had he met you James, you could have explained the details of the benefits system. He was VERY much not the usual profile type of the beggars found all over our cities. As it was, I just gave him a tenner and went on my way.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
Who knows? Perhaps he was not that good at navigating the bureaucracy of the benefits system, but the fact is that a respectably dressed, sober looking elderly man was lying in a shop doorway at about eight in the evening with a bag of possessions and a sleeping bag. Meanwhile - it is beyond dispute that people with no business here and no right to entry our country, are here as the result of criminal entry and are provided with accommodation and sometimes scarce resources such as council houses.

Maybe had he met you James, you could have explained the details of the benefits system. He was VERY much not the usual profile type of the beggars found all over our cities. As it was, I just gave him a tenner and went on my way.
Tenner. I rest my case.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If you had been waiting a long time for a council house, you'd have a grievance too. One thing you notice about this country if you've visited many other countries is how polite british people are/were. They like to queue, though don't tolerate people jumping the queue. In some other countries, everybody tries to get to the front.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Tenner. I rest my case.
Aren't you the guy that is always posting about how idle British people are and how they won't work? You have a very unpleasant view of your own countrymen. I've been around a long time and I have had myriad dealings with all kinds of people and I know when a person is a pan handler and when they are genuinely in trouble.

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
Aren't you the guy that is always posting about how idle British people are and how they won't work? You have a very unpleasant view of your own countrymen. I've been around a long time and I have had myriad dealings with all kinds of people and I know when a person is a pan handler and when they are genuinely in trouble.
Dr.Ahmed stole his job.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Dr.Ahmed stole his job.
i have no idea what this post means, or why anyone would type that.

What connection does Dr. Ahmed have with a man unfortunate enough to be homeless in a shop doorway?

jamesporritt

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2021
i have no idea what this post means, or why anyone would type that.

What connection does Dr. Ahmed have with a man unfortunate enough to be homeless in a shop doorway?
Dr.Ahmed stole his house too.

You must help the homeless with your time. "Teach a man to fish."