Prices of the electricity we use to charge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That's an over-simplified understanding of the concept of viruses, vaccines and how they work

If you are unprotected viruses get inside (maybe through your nose or mouth into your breathing system) and start infecting your cells. They use the cell's functions to make more copies of themselves and then the cell dies and bursts and all the new viruses get out of the dead cell and try to infect other cells. This is what the snot and phlegm of flu and colds, or covid is all about, and it is why you feel so rank or have a horrible sore throat. Your cells are actually being killed. Phlegm is mucous and dead cells being removed and coughed up. The greener it is the more dead cells are in it. If you have not had the particular disease before, your immune system takes time to recognise that there is a problem and is a bit slow to get really cranked up to destroy the millions of virus particles that are inside your cells. This gives the virus a free pass to mess you up badly. This is why when Europeans went to the Americas millions of natives died of ordinary diseases we Europeans had been dealing with for ages with o bother. They had never seen these bugs before. They had no immunity. We start getting immunity from our mothers and their milk and we build on it throughout our lives. But if a virus is entirely new like Sars-Covi-2 was in 2019/20 we are in the same position as the Native Americans were when Columbus and the rest turned up with all their old European bugs and plagues. People die in droves.

Usually - you will get on top of most virus diseases yourself, but some viruses are so virulent, that they will make you gravely ill, and leave you dead, or badly damaged. Think of Derek Draper - not an old man - not an especially fat man and not a sick man, but utterly wrecked by covid and now dead (Kate Garaway's husband. I actually met him once as it happens). The world over - millions of people died of covid and many were badly harmed.

Once you have had a virus and recovered - vaccinated or not, you will be able to fight it off most likely if it or a variant comes along again. But viruses mutate at pretty rapid rate so after a bit, the next time the virus comes into your lungs or nose or whatever, it won't be quite the same and you may find it getting a good hold on your system before you immune system gets to grips with it.

So - vaccination is about presenting the body before you are exposed to a virus with a dead version of the virus, or a bit of its DNA which causes your body to muster new defences in advance to fight off the invasion of microbes when they come. The vaccine doesn't kill the virus - it warns and prepares YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM to fight the virus when it comes,

Individual differences in the population mean people get different levels of protection, either through natural infection or vaccination, because the protection comes from their own immune system, albeit primed to spot the dangerous organism. - but when vaccinated they are not likely to get gravely ill.

Not always true though. People with compromised immune systems, people on some serious medications, or with certain conditions, or just the very old people have compromised immune systems and even when vaccinated will get seriously ill and some die.

Another thing is that some bugs like Covid -19 evolve very fast and the vaccine you got five years ago, if you did get one, is no longer ideal for getting your body to recognise the new variant. The Covid -19 of 2024 is not the same virus as it was five years ago. It has changed enough to have some capability of evading the old vaccine, so new vaccine variants have been produced to better match the way the newer versions of the bug present to the cells of the body.

Its the same with anti-biotics which we use to fight off bacteria. They eventually evolve changes which help them get away from our treatments. The very very short life cycle of microbes makes them able to have thousands of generations in no time at all, so evolution helps them change and escape our treatments. THAT is why to retain protection, you need more jabs with adapted, newer vaccines and this is why even vaccinated and pretty healthy people get the covid again. The point is though that on a population level, there are very few now who get it so badly as it was in the first outbreak. Even getting it mildly is not nice. I've had tinnitus ever since I got it.

But it can fk people up big time - especially if they are older like us and since I am pretty much having a ball in my life, I'm up for a quick stick with a tiny needle so I don't get the thing again, or if I do get it, it won't be bad dose.

Friday - 11.30 am. What's not to like?
I don't know what comic you got that from, but that's not how covid works at all. Infected cells get spotted by your own T and NK cells, which liquidate them. That's what kills them along with the virus in them. When your T and NK cells kill a lot of cells, you're injured, and the injury gets infected by bacteria, then you need anti-biotics to kill the infection.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Look at the facts, covid is so widespread that almost all of us have been exposed to it.
I myself have had covid 3 times, I doubt that another jab is going to change the probability of me getting covid again or that I will fight it better i next time I get it.
This said, I am still going to get another jab tomorrow at 10AM.

cant have to much of a good thing can you, u be dead buy 300cc :p

do you think if they found a cure for all cancers they would give it to everyone, there is no long term profit in that.

same as free energy devices and anti gravity its banned you will never get a patent and if you keep trying they will just kill you.

Reactions: MikelBikel

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Look at the facts, covid is so widespread that almost all of us have been exposed to it.
I myself have had covid 3 times, I doubt that another jab is going to change the probability of me getting covid again or that I will fight it better i next time I get it.
This said, I am still going to get another jab tomorrow at 10AM.
Very logical thinking!!

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Yes, somebody still needs to explain why flu disappeared in 20/21, only to be replaced by an equivalent number of covid cases. It can't be lock downs because if they were effective, nobody would have caught covid.
Let me explain it for you. The logic is very simple. SARS-CoV-2 is many times more infectious than influenza. Lockdowns are very effective as proven by the marked decrease in influenza cases. Without lockdowns there would have been many more times the number of COVID-19 infections plus the regular winter cases of influenza that the lockdowns prevented.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Let me explain it for you. The logic is very simple. SARS-CoV-2 is many times more infectious than influenza. Lockdowns are very effective as proven by the marked decrease in influenza cases. Without lockdowns there would have been many more times the number of COVID-19 infections plus the regular winter cases of influenza that the lockdowns prevented.
If it were more infective than flu, why did the same number of people catch it as would normally have caught flu?

Actally, it must have been less infectious than flu because all the previously reported flu cases were people who actually had flu with symptoms, otherwise why would they have been reported? During covid, evrybody in certain jobs were tested every day, and many of them tested positive with no symptoms at all, and didn't develop any symtoms afterwards either, so there must have been fewer covid cases with actual symptoms than the previously reported flu cases.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If it were more infective than flu, why did the same number of people catch it as would normally have caught flu?
the kill rate of covid is much higher than flu.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
the kill rate of covid is much higher than flu.
I'm not sure that's true. the people who died of flu died of flu, but the rule for covid was anybody who died within 4 weeks of a positive covid test, when the test wasn't reliable and everybody who went into hospital was tested and many other people were tested every day, so when the got killed by a rabid dog or run over by a bus, it was counted as a covid death.

All that is irrelevant because flu is independent of covid. I could understand the flu rate going down a bit because of more isolation and precautions, so I'd have expected maybe 80% of the normal amount, not 0%. That amount is implausible.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You need to take into account that hospital staff need protection too. Even if both influenza and covid have the same infectivity, covid would kill a lot more those of working age compared to flu.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:oops:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I'm not sure that's true. the people who died of flu died of flu, but the rule for covid was anybody who died within 4 weeks of a positive covid test, when the test wasn't reliable and everybody who went into hospital was tested and many other people were tested every day, so when the got killed by a rabid dog or run over by a bus, it was counted as a covid death.

All that is irrelevant because flu is independent of covid. I could understand the flu rate going down a bit because of more isolation and precautions, so I'd have expected maybe 80% of the normal amount, not 0%. That amount is implausible.
I saw many people who died from COVID-19. I didn't see any who died from influenza.

Reduction in influenza to near zero proves that lockdowns work for influenza. The lockdowns prevented a catastrophic number of people falling ill with COVID-19 all at the same time.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The lockdowns prevented a catastrophic number of people falling ill with COVID-19 all at the same time.
An even more catastrophic number !

The vicar in our little North Yorkshire village is retiring, in his final newsletter he recounts how he conducted 84 funerals during 2020.

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
An even more catastrophic number !

The vicar in our little North Yorkshire village is retiring, in his final newsletter he recounts how he conducted 84 funerals during 2020.
So the vicar normally does 112 funerals a year, and that year he only did 84, most of which were nothing do do with covid. How did you extrapolate from that that it was a catastrophic year for covid? He pointed out three memorable deaths. None of them were related to covid, but were probably counted as such, by the government, not by him.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So the vicar normally does 112 funerals a year, and that year he only did 84, most of which were nothing do do with covid. How did you extrapolate from that that it was a catastrophic year for covid? He pointed out three memorable deaths. None of them were related to covid, but were probably counted as such, by the government, not by him.
I remember watching the news at the time that we run out of everything, ventilators, gowns, masks and even coffins. Bodies were kept in refrigerated trucks. We are lucky not to catch it in the first year as the virus mutated to adapt to humans and gradually became less virulent.