May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And speedy justice.

Reactions: flecc

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Widely regarded by whom? How are they more accurate, just because they survey victims. I've just done my own survey by asking victims of violent crimes. It shows that zero % were victims before 2020 and 100% were victims after 2020. That a 10 zillion % increase, which shows your chart to be totally wrong.

Here was a review of the Methods and Data (and their recommendations were adopted)

"51. Since the early 1980s police statistics have been supplemented by data from the British Crime Survey13 which asks a representative sample of the household population about their experiences of crime over the year prior to interview. As with any victimisation survey, the BCS also has its limitations, but it is generally accepted as a more reliable measure of trends in the common types of crime against individuals or households."

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Sir Mark Rowley the Metropolitan police commissioner thinks it was policing & the anti-racist demonstrations that saw off the far right racist thugs.

"It was a massive policing operation. I’m really pleased with how it went. We put thousands of officers on the streets, and I think the show of force from the police, and frankly, the show of unity from communities together, defeated the challenges that we’ve seen, and it went up very peacefully last night."

He added that there were “a couple of locations where local criminals turned out to try and create a bit of antisocial behavior and we arrested a few of them”

but he concluded: "It was a very successful night, and the fears of sort of extreme right disorder were abated. So, a successful operation, thanks to communities and police."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2024/aug/08/anti-racism-protests-far-right-riots-uk-politics-live-updates?CMP=share_btn_url&page=with:block-66b4609a8f083a2e0d3408e3#block-66b4609a8f083a2e0d3408e3

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019

Here was a review of the Methods and Data (and their recommendations were adopted)

Don't confuse him with facts. He prefers to believe his conspiracy theories as they reinforce his prejudices

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Use a bit of intelligence. They didn't turn up in any town, not even those without counter-protesters. It was always a false flag.
They turned up in Brighton, but in such small numbers that the police transported them out for their own safety.

Even if this was a far right ploy, it's rebounded on them, since they've now seen how enormously outnumbered they are.

Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
And speedy justice.
Yes. But must seem a bit of a mockery for the many people who have been waiting years for their case to come to court. Especially if the speedy justice for rioters meant yet another deferral of their case.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Don't confuse him with facts. He prefers to believe his conspiracy theories as they reinforce his prejudices
he just winds us up. He knows we'll react.

• Agree
Reactions: saneagle and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes. But must seem a bit of a mockery for the many people who have been waiting years for their case to come to court. Especially if the speedy justice for rioters meant yet another deferral of their case.
I agree but governments have to stop the riots no matter what.

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Use a bit of intelligence they were scared off by news of the enormous numbers of anti-fascists on the streets of towns & cities all over the country.
So these far right hooligans that go looking for a punch-up every Saturday after the football match are suddenly scared of a a few soy boys? Are you sure you have the right guys or are you talking about a few larping schoolkids that called you a name in the town centre? There's some dissonance in what you're saying: They're either far right thugs, bent on violence or nothing of the sort. Which is it?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sir Mark Rowley the Metropolitan police commissioner thinks it was policing & the anti-racist demonstrations that saw off the far right racist thugs.

"It was a massive policing operation. I’m really pleased with how it went. We put thousands of officers on the streets, and I think the show of force from the police, and frankly, the show of unity from communities together, defeated the challenges that we’ve seen, and it went up very peacefully last night."

He added that there were “a couple of locations where local criminals turned out to try and create a bit of antisocial behavior and we arrested a few of them”

but he concluded: "It was a very successful night, and the fears of sort of extreme right disorder were abated. So, a successful operation, thanks to communities and police."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2024/aug/08/anti-racism-protests-far-right-riots-uk-politics-live-updates?CMP=share_btn_url&page=with:block-66b4609a8f083a2e0d3408e3#block-66b4609a8f083a2e0d3408e3
You forgot to mention the bit about Croyden last night, where the police had to deal with the wrong sort of thugs.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I don't think anyone here has expressed approval of rioting, burning of property or attacking people in hotels full of state funded 'guests' who crossed the Channel and arrived illegally in the UK. I certainly don't support that and I don't approve of it.

What the 'brave' 'anti-fascists' here, have entirely failed to consider, is the view expressed by some of us, that there is a significant part of our population who are doing very badly BECAUSE of the mass migration which all governments since 1995 have allowed.

How are they doing badly?

Housing Costs
No government has had an effective policy for creating new, affordable dwellings that has kept up with the increasing population of the country (at least 9.1 million since 1995, but many sources claim that there are several million more who are undocumented. Waste water companies and food distributors claim we have almost 80 million people living here).

The increasing population since 1995 is almost entirely due to inward migration. I believe that it is THIS imbalance which has led to at least a doubling in real terms of housing costs since that time. In many areas such as the South East, the rise in costs is much more than that.

ALL young people are affected by this burden.

The first house I bought in 1975, adjusted for inflation, is now two and a half times the price I paid. Rents are likewise two and three times what they were. The only reason for these rises is housing shortage. Where there is surplus housing, the rents are small and where housing for sale is not snapped up, the prices are lower.

Competition for low skilled work
Very large numbers of low skilled workers have been imported, and these no doubt usually hard working people, compete in the jobs market with low skilled workers from our own population.

The presence of these people in the job market suppresses wage rates and encourages employers to offer much worse employment conditions than used to be thought reasonable. We now have zero hours contracts, and very close scrutiny of work rate in many industries. This is perhaps most obvious in warehousing and distribution, food production and preparation, hospitality, and other trades. In some areas, workers in these work sectors are almost entirely people who are migrants or temporary residents. The pay rates and conditions are not compatible with the traditional living circumstances of family life. People sometimes live in HMOs or even caravans. Ordinary white British people have more or less abandoned seeking such work. They are unemployed or long term sick.

Competition for access to government services[u/]

It can be difficult to access dentistry, GP services, schools and other services in some areas. We have a post code lottery in all of these vital matters.

Governments of all colours have abandoned their responsibilities in all of these matters. The Conservatives, who I have supported for years - probably since about the turn of the century, have probably been among the worst in providing competent solutions.

These are matters which cause a huge sense of grievance albeit that most of the aggrieved abhor thuggery and violence as I do. Many of the participants in this thread show no inclination to accept any of this and prefer either to cherry pick data, batting away the idea that all in the UK garden is not rosy, or attaching uncomplimentary epithets like 'racist', Islamaphobe or for the more cognitively challenged, images of Hitler and Mussolini (though quite what Mussolini has do do with anything regarding these matters is hard to fathom. The Mussolini image appeared after I confided that I have an Italian surname and that my great grandparents were Italian migrants - something - probably the only thing I have in common with one other member. If that is not an actual racist slur against me, I don't know what is, but then as I already knew, many of the militant antifa brigade are not that clever.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
You forgot to mention the bit about Croyden last night, where the police had to deal with the wrong sort of thugs.
I was quoting Sir Mark Rowley who didn't mention Croydon but this Metropolitan Police spokesperson said:

"Approximately 50 people have gathered in North End Road, Croydon. They’ve made clear their intention is to cause disruption and fuel disorder. They have dragged and thrown objects down the road and thrown bottles at officers. This is not linked to protest, this appears to be pure anti-social behaviour. Officers are moving in in numbers to make arrests. Eight people have been arrested for assaulting emergency workers, possession of offensive weapons and other offences."

• Agree

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
So these far right hooligans that go looking for a punch-up every Saturday after the football match are suddenly scared of a a few soy boys? Are you sure you have the right guys or are you talking about a few larping schoolkids that called you a name in the town centre? There's some dissonance in what you're saying: They're either far right thugs, bent on violence or nothing of the sort. Which is it?
It's the prospect of meeting a crowd like this displayed on the front page of most newspapers this morning that has deterred right wing racist thugs. That plus the strict policing & swift justice (just 8 days from riot to prison).

Image 08-08-2024 at 11.28.jpg

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I don't think anyone here has expressed approval of rioting, burning of property or attacking people in hotels full of state funded 'guests' who crossed the Channel and arrived illegally in the UK. I certainly don't support that and I don't approve of it.

What the 'brave' 'anti-fascists' here have entirely failed to consider, is he points made by some of us, that there is a significant part of our population who are doing very badly BECAUSE of the mass migration which all governments since 1995 have allowed.

How are they doing badly?

Housing Costs
No government has had an effective policy for creating new, affordable dwellings that has kept up (nowhere near) with the increasing population of the country (at least 9.1 million since 1995, but many sources claim that there are several million more who are undocumented).

The increasing population since 1995 is almost entirely due to inward migration. I believe that it is THIS imbalance which has led to at least a doubling in real terms of housing costs since that time. ALL young people are affected by that. The first house I bought in 1975 is now, adjusted for inflation, two and a half times the price I paid. Rents are likewise two and three times what they were. The only reason for these rises is housing shortage. Where there is surplus housing, the rents are small and where housing for sale is not snapped up, the prices are lower.

Competition for low skilled work
Very large numbers of low skilled workers have been imported and these no doubt usually hard working people compete in the jobs market with low skilled workers from our own population. The presence of these people in the job market suppresses wage rates and encourages employers to offer much worse employment conditions than used to be thought reasonable. We now have zero hours contracts and very close scrutiny of work rate in many industries. This is perhaps most obvious in warehousing and distribution, food production and preparation, hospitality, and other trades. In some areas, workers in these work sectors are almost entirely people who are migrants or temporary residents. The pay rates and conditions are not compatible with the traditional living circumstances of family life. People sometimes live in HMOs or even caravans. Ordinary white British people have more or less abandoned seeking such work.

Competition for access to government services[u/]

It can be difficult to access dentistry, GP services, schools and other services in some areas. We have a post code lottery in all of these vital matters.

Governments of all colours have abandoned their responsibilities in all of these matters. The Conservatives, who I have supported for years - probably since about the turn of the century, have probably been among the worst in providing competent solutions.

These are matters which cause a huge sense of grievance albeit that most of the aggrieved abhor thuggery and violence as I do. Many of the participants in this thread show no inclination to accept any of this and prefer either to cherry pick data, batting away the idea that all in the UK garden is not rosey, or attaching uncomplimentary epithets like 'racist', Islamaphobe or for the more cognitively challenged, images of Hitler and Mussolini (though quite what Mussolini has do do with anything regarding these matters is hard to fathom. That appeared after I confided that I have an Italian surname and that my great grandparents were Italian migrants - something - probably the only thing I have in common with one other member.[/U]
We have had fourteen years of Tory governments mismanaging the economy plus the lies that led to Brexit. The economy has flatlined. People are worse off than they were in 2010. The roads are full of potholes. Schools & hospitals are literally falling down. Libraries & community centres shut down. Underfunding of the NHS means it cannot keep up with the demands of an ageing population. Abuse of workers by the likes of zero hours contracts combined with the decline in trade union membership means work is more precarious.
None of the above has anything to do with immigration which on the other hand has had a positive impact on the economy. As usual immigrants are doing the jobs that the indigenous population doesn't want to.
The answer is to get the economy growing again. This will allow us to restore our public services. Combined with other measures like outlawing the abuses of workers by employers this will make Britain a much more content place again.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's the prospect of meeting a crowd like this displayed on the front page of most newspapers this morning that has deterred right wing racist thugs. That plus the strict policing & swift justice (just 8 days from riot to prison).

View attachment 59281
That crowd doesn't even scare me. Where did they all get those placards from? They look like they've been made on a production line. Is somebody paying for them? When I was paid to protest against Tommy Robinson, there were a whole load of similar ones on a flat-bed Transit that they gave out. They looked the same as the ones in your picture. They had the same colours in the same places but the slogan was different. You can just see a bit of me in this one if you know where to look. Do you see what I mean about the placards. That was a fun afternoon, and I got £24 for it tax free. The only thing I didn't understand was that we were shouting, "justice for the victims", which is the same as what the TR fan boys were shouting. I didn't get it but who cares when you get £24 for having a laugh. Not many fit women on our side, though. Next time, I might forfeit the £24 and join the other side where all the fit women were.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikelBikel

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
BBC clan at it again. How many more. What is it about the BBC that attracts them?
I realise that you like to kick the BBC at every opportunity but he really has a pretty thin connection to the BBC. He emigrated to Australia in 1996. He has never been on the BBC staff. You might as well blame National Geographic or Charles Darwin University to which he also had connections.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Big deal!

"The Met Police made fifteen arrests in the capital on Wednesday as feared far-right disorder largely failed to materialise.
Officers arrested ten people in Croydon’s North End Road at around 9.30pm for offences including assault on an emergency worker, breaching a section 35 dispersal order, going equipped for arson and violent disorder."

So out of a Met area population of some 10 millions, just 15 yobs caused a nuisance.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Big deal!

"The Met Police made fifteen arrests in the capital on Wednesday as feared far-right disorder largely failed to materialise.
Officers arrested ten people in Croydon’s North End Road at around 9.30pm for offences including assault on an emergency worker, breaching a section 35 dispersal order, going equipped for arson and violent disorder."

So out of a Met area population of some 10 millions, just 15 yobs caused a nuisance.
Have those 10 been included in the violent crime statistics that poor old Peter has to keep showing, or do they get a pass because it was a Wednesday rather than Saturday night.