Is your pedelec legal? From CTC's cycle magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I am sure D8veh's not a "nasty people who drive motor vehicles" because he has a camera but I expect you have evidence that he is too.
I don't know why you bring d8veh into it because he's no longer a forum member because of all this. He told me that he had deleted all his pictures and would of deleted all his posts if he could but he couldn't.

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I have to say Riche and donkeydoo.....you dont half give up and lose the will to live easily :D :D

Where has your spirit of adventure gone....

Tillson.....I, amongst many others I am sure, would be very interested to know if it was indeed an offering from 50C's ........maybe its about time they had their come uppance and changed their web site accordingly........which reminds me...........

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know why you bring d8veh into it because he's no longer a forum member because of all this. He told me that he had deleted all his pictures and would of deleted all his posts if he could but he couldn't.
I'm sorry to hear of Dave's departure, especially sad at a time when legislators are recommending all power restrictions be lifted.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

Have I missed something ?
What, why, when ?

I hope you are mistaken because he would be sorely missed on this forum, as he was the last time he left temporarily.

His help and advice has always been given unstintingly and I am sure appreciated by many many members on here.

I havent a clue about building bikes, kits, motors etc.......I only enjoy riding them.....but I tried to at least learn something from his posts and always thought it was great how much he helped other members.

Lynda :)

mxer125

Pedelecer
May 13, 2011
Where's d8veh then ? What happend there ? This guy's a genius and has helped out no end of people reguardless of any situation.....I log on here personally to see his fantastic mind at work.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Where's d8veh then ? What happend there ? This guy's a genius and has helped out no end of people reguardless of any situation.....I log on here personally to see his fantastic mind at work.
I'm not sure of all the details. I just texted him and he said tell them to look at my profile. He told me before though that he will never post any more and oly does endless sphere now.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure of all the details. I just texted him and he said tell them to look at my profile. He told me before though that he will never post any more and oly does endless sphere now.
Well that is very disappointing news - I'll certainly miss his contributions and hope he reviews his decision to leave.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
That has made a beautiful day perfect.....what a big baby!lol

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Honestly Eddie......do you really HAVE to be so rude at times.....what you said in that post mentioned in d8veh's profile wasnt nice was it ......is there any need to talk to people like that ??

Come on, lighten up.....I love the programme " One foot in the Grave " its hilarious.... but the number of budding Victor Meldrews on here sometimes isnt amusing......

Just a bit more respect for other peoples opinions without resorting to personal insults would be a good start......but then, havent we been here before.....

Lynda :(

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I think it is discussing that D8veh was Bulled out off this forum after many very helpful posts

I am going to start a new thread bring back D8veh then all his FANS can comment on him coming Back

Frank

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
....what a big baby!lol
Those are the exact words that I was going to type. You have saved me a job.

I am genuinely sorry to see whatshisname leave, the forum needs every member that it can attract. Thingymajig's posts were informative and he definitely made a positive contribution.

But, leaving and deleting your pictures and posts too. I ask you, who does he think he is? He needs to grow up.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I am going to start a new thread bring back D8veh then all his FANS can comment on him coming Back

Frank
Please don't do that. He will come back when he outgrows his short trousers and stops wearing an elasticised tie.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Their website makes absolutely no mention of th fact that you can't use the £2795 Kalkhoff Pro Connect S10 on a road. I'd be a bit *** if I'd paid that much for a bike only to discover that I can't actually use it.

Good point Tillson....and well presented!

Indalo

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I really hope the new ebike rules and laws get past because the ratings on motors are hogwash anyway. Everyone's riding bikes that pull far more than the standard continous rating.

The 15mph is the only thing that matters in the real world.
Speed is the danger factor.

Ebrakes, pedelec, throttles etc none of that is relevant at all. They should be speed limited only and that's it. Power, wattage, volts and amps all pointless in my view.

For the record the motor that Cwah is using on the brompton is actually a legal 250w direct drive. So it can be fully legal if he chooses.

Great I just got in hear and read about D8veh. His helped me loads to and on build and plent of other members. Even sent me a load of 18650 cells so that I could hard wire my lights to my bike so I could be seen through the winter months.

I don't know why some of you have such preservations about what others are doing, advising, helping or supporting. There really not affecting your lives if you'd just get on with it.

All your bikes are illegal in the power claims. Fact.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Scotty.....whilst I appreciate that there is a well presented argument as to what is the nominal power rating of all these motors, it is a fact that all companies that have put their bikes through the EN15194 test have a certificate that says the rating of the motor is 250 watts,that makes these bikes legal on UK roads and customers can use these bikes without worry about prosecution. What I find arrogant is that there are some companies in the UK who blatantly advertise their bikes as 300watt or 350watt,the description of the cycles clearly suggests that such power is considered a selling point of the bicycle but they don't seem to care that these bikes are UK illegal. Contributors and viewers of this forum are well advised that these bikes are illegal so if they choose to purchase and use such a bike, they as a intelligent adult have made their own judgement as to the social responsibility and risks of prosecution of using such bikes but based upon good knowledge. However not everyone who buys these bikes reads forums such as this,they make the purchase in trust that a responsible retailer,especially one selling bikes of such high pedigree,would ever sell them a bike that is UK illegal. I suspect that most of them would be shocked to latterly realise that they could be prosecuted for using the bike on UK roads and may not realise same until an accident or police check made them aware,e-bikes are still rare on UK roads so this power limit is not well publicised,the degree of the arrogance is endorsed that these bike often have the motor power clearly visible.
Whilst I personally don't approve of the high power bikes that are openly stated on this forum at least you use illegal bikes with the knowledge of the risks that you are accepting.
As a bike designer I find it frustrating that I am designing bikes within the 250 watt limit,it would be so easy to directly replace the Suzhou Bafang 250 watt motor with the 350 watt motor but that is cheating and illegal and for me not an option.
Dave
KudosCycles

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I agree with your statement in it entirety Dave.
I've used over powered kits and came to the conclusion I didn't need it and I was defeating the object of it being a bicycle. So in the last 12 months I've done a full circle from legal lower power to fast geared motor and direct drive to back to a legal geared motor. All because my aims changed.

If people accept the possibility and understand that they are braking the law then that's fine. If they get in trouble so be it. It's their risk. I know there are sellers out there that don't care about what they sell. But as a large retailer you've got the power house behind you to say your bikes are EN15194 and fully legal which is the right thing to do.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Ps the 250w motor is great as a little geared hub and much better than the older front one I've used. Think there really coming along each year. Soon they will bring out a cassette version for the 250w motors which would be great for the higher spec hubs.

But the power thing I hope does get cleared for better hill climbing for those that need it.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Quote from 50 cycles website
'At the sportier end of the scale, Kalkhoff are also quietly selling a couple of top-end 25mph bikes in the three grand region. Great fun, but not strictly speaking road legal in the UK. Still, who cares?'
Good point 'Who cares?'....VOSA,the police,an unsuspecting buyer,the child run over by an illegal bike!!!!!
'Who cares?'
Dave
KudosCycles

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Quote from 50 cycles website
'At the sportier end of the scale, Kalkhoff are also quietly selling a couple of top-end 25mph bikes in the three grand region. Great fun, but not strictly speaking road legal in the UK. Still, who cares?'
Don't you just love 'em?

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.