Illegal ebike crackdown Coventry

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If and when this starts happening to premium bike riders we will have bike dvr systems in place, well i and @guerney will ;)
There was no drama whatsoever during my commute home today (from 1m 43s). Even on the busiest roads, all drivers allowed me oodles of space because of the Oxford safety lollipop bolted onto the end of my right handlebar. Nobody is ever interested in my nice but dull cycling vids :(

Last edited:

esuark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Back on this ebike insurance subject again, have you found someone who will insure a "converted to ebike" bike?

Reactions: guerney

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Are you happy with small print? Each time when I read through T&C I just give up. Example from British Cycling insurance:

"
(7) E-bike (Electrically assisted pedal cycle) must have pedals that can be used to propel it, the electric motor should have a maximum power output of 250 watts or less, and the motor should not be able to propel the bike when it is travelling more than 15.5mph. In addition your E-bike must display either the power output or manufacturer of the motor, as well as either the battery voltage or maximum speed of the bike, as defined by the manufacturer.
If you want to take part in a cycling event on your e-bike, please check with the event organiser whether there are any rules governing the use of e-bikes. "

Is there a single bike that would meet this criteria?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are you happy with small print?
... of course written so it's wide open to interpretation. I fear if they ever pay out, it'll be because they want to.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Sorry, I dont understand ?
And your right to question, as scrub that.. your probably covered by a comprehensive motor policy for 3rd party liability and legal cover if you borrow anyone elses ebike but not if ridding your own.. As your covered for any other vehicle usually and a cycle falls under that catagory

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Back on this ebike insurance subject again, have you found someone who will insure a "converted to ebike" bike?
Does this rule out most conversions?

"Speed limiters

Beware e-bikes that sold with speed limiters you can alter yourself. The fact you can restrict your e-bike to 15.5mph does not make it legal for use on British roads if the motor is rated at about 250W. Apart from anything else, you will not be able to insure this type of bike as a bicycle."

TF?!?!? "about 250W". Vague.

Reactions: esuark

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Does this rule out most conversions?

"Speed limiters

Beware e-bikes that sold with speed limiters you can alter yourself. The fact you can restrict your e-bike to 15.5mph does not make it legal for use on British roads if the motor is rated at about 250W. Apart from anything else, you will not be able to insure this type of bike as a bicycle."

TF?!?!? "about 250W". Vague.
nearly every electric bike has a speed limiter. that's how they limit the speed yo 15.5 mph. They can all be adjusted because the bikes are sold in multiple countries that have different speed limits. Even Bosch can be adjusted if you know how and have the right stuff.

In order for anybody to prove that your bike can be adjusted, they'd have to be able to adjust it themselves, so stick a password in if your controller has that feature.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
nearly every electric bike has a speed limiter. that's how they limit the speed yo 15.5 mph. They can all be adjusted because the bikes are sold in multiple countries that have different speed limits. Even Bosch can be adjusted if you know how and have the right stuff.

In order for anybody to prove that your bike can be adjusted, they'd have to be able to adjust it themselves, so stick a password in if your controller has that feature.
It all depends on how anal they want to get about it - I can set the BBS01B controller's firmware so that the display can't increase the speed limit beyond 25km/h, and there's no way anyone can prove that I have made any alterations... but it's still a potential wriggle out of paying out opportunity. A quick spot of Googling by the insurer would reveal how that's done.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
yes "up to 250W" would be more appropriate...........
Policy documents for ebike insurance are intentionally written vague and sloppy, and the most exasperating blocks of text I have ever read!

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
he electric motor should have a maximum power output of 250 watts or less
Sounds very much like the clerk writing the policy does not understand.

I dont recall seeing any claim that the current regulations require that the motor should actually be limited in use to 250W.

Whether the so called restictions of 250W max power could be de-bunked in a claim, I have no idea.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
And your right to question, as scrub that.. your probably covered by a comprehensive motor policy for 3rd party liability and legal cover if you borrow anyone elses ebike but not if ridding your own.
I done understand at all.

Why would my motor policy cover me if I 'borrow' an ebike.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
As an asside, I do normally read insurance documents, and can see the subterfuge they use to confuse people.

In a past case, twenty years or more back, I read the insurance policy that I had to cover my self employed business and spotted a significant problem which resulted in an appearance on the BBC Welsh news and an invite to attend a meeting in Downing street.

But thats off topic.

Reactions: Woosh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I done understand at all.

Why would my motor policy cover me if I 'borrow' an ebike.
'any vehicle' cover, has been extended to include cycles, so could extend to ebikes too? at the insurers discretion, if you have 6 hi end cars insured with the same insurer, and run a fleet at work perhaps, if your me with a £199 fully comp policy thanks to decades of no claims on a 28yr old rover, probably not..

Then again my experience of UK insurance/assurance was from a different age, when who a client was and prospects for future business definitely played a part in what claims were honored
And I didnt pay much more than lip service to to the General Branch side of things due to the 10% commission limit focusing on mortgage business, and All training was sales based, even the 86 finance act changes including registration were treated as sales training opportunities..

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
When it was about £10 a year, I took out personal liability insurance. It (I think) covered me for anything I could be sued for. It might be worth googling for “personal liability insurance”?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It (I think) covered me for anything I could be sued for.
That is what they want you think.
They write lengthy T&C for a reason.
From Direct Line insurance:

"If reflected as an Electric Bicycle, a Bicycle propelled by human power with pedals, but Page 19 assisted by an electric motor of no more than 250 watts maximum power output; such electric motor should not be able to propel the Bicycle when it’s traveling at more than 15.5 miles per hour. The power output or manufacturer of the motor and the battery’s voltage or maximum speed of the bike must be displayed. "

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Cardiff at it.
In city centre though.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Cardiff at it.
In city centre though.

That's old news regurgitated. It refers to the event on 5th October.

Reactions: Wayners