Illegal ebike crackdown Coventry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder how did they arrest 8 people. 2 for intent to supply drugs... one for assault? What about other five? Do they stop and search cyclists? :oops:
Seems six were suspected to be illegal immigrants:

"Cardiff Council’s City Centre Warden Team took part in the operation which saw South Wales Police make two arrests, and the UK Visas and Immigration Service arrest six people."

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Seems six were suspected to be illegal immigrants:
So they stop, search and check immigration status?

Flecc, we need your cell phone and put you on 24/7 duty as one time use get me out of jail card. It is not safe to cycle anymore and for sure I don't want to find myself in Rwanda.

Should I cycle with my passport now or what? I really don't like what is happening with this country.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Flecc, we need your cell phone and put you on 24/7 duty as one time use get me out of jail card. It is not safe to cycle anymore and for sure I don't want to find myself in Rwanda.

Should I cycle with my passport now or what? I really don't like what is happening with this country.
I don't think it's as sinister as that. They stop the guys on illegal electric bikes. They don't care who they are. After stopping them, they ask for their name and address so that they can make charges. When they check the name and address given, it comes back as person unknown. They then have to figure out what's going on. Is the guy giving fake info or what?

Also, it's possible that the illegal immigrants are being exploited by whoever they're delivering for. That includes the ones delivering drugs.

Arrest just means take back to the police station and figure out what's going on, not victimisation. It started with the guys on illegal bikes. If anyone doesn't want to get their collar felt, don't do illegal things. It's that simple.

Look at those electric bikes in the photo. The two that you can see have those bag batteries that are always catching fire and cremating people before they're ready. It's not as if they're arresting people on their 15 mph Woosh Ramblettas just because they look a bit foreign.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

No, you're safe to cycle as long as your pedelec is legal or close to that. It's as Saneagle described, just dealing with a specific objective, the people being very obviously illegal, often in multiple ways.

They illustrate what we've always known, it's the same small proportion of people who cause the great majority of trouble for all of us.

Reactions: sjpt

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
The Warning is simply a press release to boost the public opinion of plod, Not a crackdown of any sort.

A real crack down would constitute a secret day or two of action watching and rounding up the suspects and Then on success issuing a press release..

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Don't forget that your bike is illegal too. Check the government regulations to see where you don't comply.

100% legal, I checked it with the Police before buying as is my AUTISM

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
100% legal, I checked it with the Police before buying as is my AUTISM
The police really struggle with ebike legislation which seems to the main cause for a huge amount of threads on this forum. You would probably need to send an email to the Department for Transport with full spec details of your bike to get an analysis and from my experience they ignore most emails anyway when you send them queries even simple ones.

250W is 7A at 36V or 5A at 48V, does your ebike motor use more than that continuously? I.e. up hills etc. If so you are in the grey area of probably 99.9% of all ebikes which easily exceed their 250W rating much of the time. Pretty much no one cares though as long as the bike only assists to 15.5mph or close to it. However even that assist speed is often exceeded with no consequences after years of use.

I'm personally not interested in the wattage of ebikes but completely behind a low assistance speed although I feel it should be 20mph to match many urban UK roads. I want to see everyone on a ebike that can get on one if they want to including disabled, obese people, weak people, elderly people etc and if that means more wattage and a twist and go throttle so be it. Ebikes should be available for all we have a health and environmental crisis happening.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The
I want to see everyone on a ebike that can get on one if they want to including disabled, obese people, weak people, elderly people etc and if that means more wattage and a twist and go throttle so be it. Ebikes should be available for all we have a health and environmental crisis happening.
They are already available to all, with optional higher wattages and twist and go throttles, and have been for many years. All are within the L1e-A and L1e-B classes, and they are e-bikes, but they are NOT pedelecs (EAPCs). Pedelecs are not e-bikes.

I don't know how long I will have to keep pointing this out to members, but you are all attacking the wrong target, trying to alter the EAPC rules WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE AND WILL REMAIN SO.

What should be aimed for is reducing the bureacracy and requirements for the L1e-A and L1e-B classes of two and three wheeled motor vehicles.

That is a possibility since we have some easement already in place historically. For example, anyone who passed their car driving test before 1st February 2001 can ride them on their car licence, no CBT, no separate m/c driving test. They can even hop onto a moped and ride it off without any other encumbrance. And various easements already exist in some other European countries.

You won't get LIe-A and B treated like EAPCs with almost no rules all in one go, but since our government, like all others in the western world, is keen on getting everyone onto two wheels, you do have their sympathetic ear, so some change is possible.

But stop banging heads against a wall trying to do the impossible of changing EAPC rules to allow bureaucracy free motor vehicle speeds, powers, throttles etc., because they aren't listening and won't listen.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Schapp's oh so bright ideas remain in the long grass. I expect he's collecting databases to sell to Infosys, as he moves from post to post. Sunak needs driver votes.

Are we nearly there yet? PACTS calls for new transport bill

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I would agree; re-writing the current EAPC rules to allow for faster and more powerful bikes, is not the way to go.

At which point would it be sensible to then not apply to electrified bikes the same requirements that apply to low powered mopeds, as in type requirements, licences to ride, requirement for helmets, MOTs , number plates and insurance .

And if you increase the legal speed limits on the basis you are matching the speed limits of many 'urban roads' there could be an impression that its OK to do 30mph on the 'urban roads' where that is the limit.

Reactions: flecc

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
After fitting a KT controller to a bike i will admit i had it running at 22mph, and i think that bike could handle the roads at that speed ok and had good enough brakes to stop promptly. however after a couple of days and i had worked out the manual and i had it configured within the regs. It was fun tho ;)
However while that bike could manage those speeds ok in my estimation (and i could well be wrong) my daily ride cycle sure cant ..

Forgive me for using the blanket term e-bike but to me you have bikes ebikes emopeds and emotorbikes and these are the classifications i mean.. So ebikes based on pedal cycles need to be restricted to limits that are safe for all cycles that is simple common sense.

Making it easier to register diy emopeds and emotorbikes is the way forward I agree.

And while im sure many diy ebikes that have specs and can perform beyond the regs are safe to ride responsibly, are they all? My own off rd project arrived on my doorstep due to a silly motor fitted to a bike with no brake sensors so the wheel kept pushing when crashed increasing the damage done.

so to paraphrase "With e-power comes responsibility, with greater e-power ........."
I among many are happy to accept the suitable responsibility re insurance/helmets etc So as said above lets support the right cause..

Reactions: flecc

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I among many are happy to accept the suitable responsibility re insurance/helmets etc So as said above lets support the right cause..
Indeed.

There are likely a great many of 'responsible' riders in this forum, but I wonder how many take out liability insurance, which is not a legal requirement, so they can be sure that someone they may injure in an accident is properly compensated.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Indeed.

There are likely a great many of 'responsible' riders in this forum, but I wonder how many take out liability insurance, which is not a legal requirement, so they can be sure that someone they may injure in an accident is properly compensated.
Anyone i would suggest, with any assets ,property, or ambition or expectation to obtain either is foolish not to purely on the basis of self interest .

Many will be covered by comprehensive motor policies as long as they are ridding a legal vehicle.

I would urge everyone ridding around on £1000+ of bike e powered or not to investigate insurance, someone mentioned somewhere in here a cycling group/club? that offered free 3rd party liability cover for members with the annual sub? i didnt pay that much attention having just sorted my ebike cover..

Scammers throw themselves at cars worth less for an insurance payout, while not condoning the scam its better coming from the insurance company than them taking your house.. If and when this starts happening to premium bike riders we will have bike dvr systems in place, well i and @guerney will ;) not that mine is a high end bike, at least im safe from a targeted theft :)

Reactions: guerney

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
That is a very good point. Something to think about.
I started making sure I was covered for general public liability, including more recently for my electric bikes, when the 'no win no fee' adverts started to be common place.

I have no desire to loose my house, I need somewhere to live.