Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Another crackdown:

'About time' as police crack down on illegal electric bikes
Illegally modified electric bikes have taken over Liverpool City Centre

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Yes, I picked up that fragment too. They should educate themselves better.
I was in the exact same spot of the picture (Cardiff city centre) on Sunday, wheeling (of course) my Electric Brompton, with throttle. I had popped into town to visit Poundland for some batteries.

Whats a worry is that the Police\Wardens seem to believe, or that at least is what is being reported, that they can seize bikes with 'legal' throttles.

Is there an official referance, showing throttles are legal if the motor cuts when you stop peddaling, that can be pointed out to the misinformed Police\Wardens ?

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
This story is from Swindon back in March where the police seized an illegal ebike. Apart from the fact that the bike could do 30MPH, they seemed outraged that the bike had a throttle.

"It also involved a short bike chase which ended with an illegally modified electric bike being seized.
Police said that the bike seized had an electric throttle that made it capable of reaching speeds of approximately 30mph, but that it was notably in a very poor condition and had no front breaks."(sic)

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23403511.illegal-e-bike-drugs-weapon-seized-swindon-police-patrol/

Law enforcement just seem to hate throttles.

This is one of the reasons, I don't have a throttle, but the main reason is I don't need one, just PAS is fine with me.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Is there an official referance, showing throttles are legal if the motor cuts when you stop peddaling, that can be pointed out to the misinformed Police\Wardens ?
That is what I am thinking too. One might need to cycle with some extra pages printed in saddle bag with legal blabber and have some bookmarks on a phone with links to relevant information. In UK people in uniforms are not accountable for their actions and if they seize your bike you will get an apology in best case scenario. But it is not good if you find yourself without bike for days or weeks.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
I am considering getting a sticker from eBay to slap on my motor, just to give the 'wardens' a bit less ammunition. Like this:

I wonder how they would test the top speed on a PAS bike? My 250w bike does 16mph easy but if I'm pedaling robustly in top gear, I can do a bit more, like 19-20MPH.

I guess you could tell them to ghost pedal in a low gear but I have a feeling they wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I wonder how they would test the top speed on a PAS bike? My 250w bike does 16mph easy but if I'm pedaling robustly in top gear, I can do a bit more, like 19-20MPH.
On my bike it is simple. Enough to lift a wheel and press throttle.

...but then I would get in trouble for having throttle. One can't win I guess. Best probably to ignore them and ride away. ;)

esuark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
On my bike it is simple. Enough to lift a wheel and press throttle.

...but then I would get in trouble for having throttle. One can't win I guess. Best probably to ignore them and ride away. ;)
what speed would come up on the display?

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
I am considering getting a sticker from eBay to slap on my motor, just to give the 'wardens' a bit less ammunition. Like this:

I guess you could tell them to ghost pedal in a low gear but I have a feeling they wouldn't have a clue what you are talking about.
They can’t even spell “standart”?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon

How much? got a linky? if it cuts a single plod short and saves you from a pompous earful could be worth the 'investment'

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
A week last Tuesday I was driving past the College of Music and Drama in Cardiff centre, doing around 28mph, the road is 30mph.

A delivery driver was on the cycle track using a 'modified' electic bike and and went past me on the inside doing around 35mph to 40mph.