How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Never to sure about pumps, I always carry one, along with a few scabs and a spare tube. You know the first day I don't carry them, I'll get a puncture:oops:
From what I've been reading I think I've been lucky, 2 punctures in 2 bikes & around 1200 miles, both punctures in conti's with protection (can't remember the model of conti).
I've never (yet):p had a puncture in Schwalbe plus tyres and currently have smart sam plus's for winter off roading:cool:
Oh and my pump is a cheep (£7) mini thing off the bay but it dose also use a co2 system as well as the pump bit:)

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
I finished my chores early today and as it was so nice, it seemed a shame to waste the day.

Sadly nothing too extreme though.

Looks like a good day out.
What rear mudguard have you got & does it keep all the sh#t off your back?
Went out yesterday & got absolutely plastered.

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
The rear mudguard is homemade, using a piece of mouldable plastic.

I'm on the MK2 version now, as the first was approx. 25mm too short. It works really well and only uses one bracket for support.
Do you have any better photos to show mudguard, where did you get your plastic from?
Seems like a good idea and might give it a try myself.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm afraid that this photo is possibly the best that I have at the moment. I'll try and take a clearer one over then next day or so.

The plastic that I used was given to me by someone that works in a factory. When heated it moulds into whatever shape that you require. I didn't need to do this, and just left it as a straight cut sheet approx 75mm wide along it's length. I'm afraid that I have no idea if the plastic has a particular name.

kinega

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm afraid that this photo is possibly the best that I have at the moment. I'll try and take a clearer one over then next day or so.

The plastic that I used was given to me by someone that works in a factory. When heated it moulds into whatever shape that you require. I didn't need to do this, and just left it as a straight cut sheet approx 75mm wide along it's length. I'm afraid that I have no idea if the plastic has a particular name.
Thanks for that, the photo is pretty clear.
Will try & think if there is anywhere I can source some plastic like this.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
One for SRS. :)

I got my backside into gear and popped down to Alciston for a ride on the Downs. I need to get out as much as possible at the moment so that I'm not struggling quite so much when I do the next Wiggle ride in a few weeks time.
Not that it ever works quite that, as I like to stop to take in the views and can never resist stopping off for something to eat!
Total distance 25miles, which was a bit disappointing, as I seemed pretty knackered.
I also had one bad go at the beginning of the ride. I stupidly hadn't locked the battery in place, and sure enough it bounced off the bike and hit the road at about 20mph. It doesn't look quite so pretty now! :(
On a positive note, the new gearing set up is superb. 11t/36t on the rear and 38t, 24t on the front is just about perfect.

Anyway here is the ride as a whole.

Steepest climb

Steepest descent.

A couple of shots of the views.

The Downs and ride in the distance.

Getting closer.

And from the top of one of the hills. Sadly not the clearest of days.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie

Looks like you've had a good day. The South Downs do have a lot to offer all cyclists.

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one to have had a battery launch down the road.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I parked at Rodmell this morning and headed up on along the South Downs way towards Keymer, but cut the ride short as I spent the night being ill, and then was hit again on the ride with sickness. I ended up turning back via woodingdean and Tilscombe. I guess that 16miles was better than none. :(

I also had my front tyre explode in the back of the van which would had been fine, if it hadn't of been a slime tube! That tube has only done approx. 150 miles, so they can have that one back.

View from Kingston, just before going up along the top.

Just two photos from the ride.

Reactions: mountainsport

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Blimey - The bike's clean - That's a first :)

More than can be said for the inside of the van I guess: Hope it has a bulkhead.

Sorry to hear about the puking, though.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Blimey - The bike's clean - That's a first :)
You can't go around saying things like that! :D

It did get a little bit dirty, but predominantly it was cow and sheep poo.:(

I've already cleaned it right up again, ready for it's next outing. I must admit that the frame is starting to look pretty tired now. I'm not that worried about that though, as the main thing is that it's kept in tip top mechanical order. Despite the hassles that I've had with the bike, I'm rather fond of it. :)

Thankfully the slime didn't really make to much mess considering. But yep the van does have a bulkhead.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackhandy

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Off to Gisburn soon - I'll post pics when I come back - maybe even some GoPro footage.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Off to Gisburn soon - I'll post pics when I come back - maybe even some GoPro footage.

Hully Gully, Bigfoot Slab. Go for it! If it all goes t!ts up, I may be one of the ones stretchering you out! ;) Be warned, the Boardwalk is really slippery at the moment.

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Wiggle Rough Ride Route - On My Own!
Inspired by Eddie's exploits on the Wiggle Southern Rough Ride, thought I'd try the short route,... it's a confidence thing!
Downloaded the gpx from the Wiggle site and loaded it into the Satmap GPS.
Started off in the Amberley Museum Car Park, free now there's a bonus!
The weather conditions were just about ideal , a cool breeze but crystal clear sunshine. The views were just glorious and typical South Downs.
An amazing variety of wildlife, buzzards, grouse, pheasant a green lizard, all managed to avoid me!
The route varies from metalled roads, to semi metalled, bridle path, chalk & flint, and the South Downs Way, some steady climbs and long sweeping descents, but nothing 250 w and some legwork can't handle...but beware the descent back into Amberley, as Eddie hinted at, it is steep and flinty and ends abruptly at the road.
A great day out, thanks Eddie for the link... think I might try some of the longer routes....

Reactions: EddiePJ and SRS

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
berkobennie thanks for sharing that ride. If only it had been as clear as that when I rode it.
That's quite a trip that you made to do the ride, and the photos are stunning.
I can see a Jolly Boy's outing being arranged in the future. :) A ride on the Downs, intermixed with a beverage/food stop, could a good way to spend a nice sunny day.

I'd also be very interested in learning about the map system. Sadly I'm still using paper maps which in truth is a pain in the backside.

Thanks again for sharing the ride. :)

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Cheers Eddie, It was a bit of a trek to Sussex, but I don't mind that really, part of the day. I used to live in Arundel, when I was 14, so it was a bit of a homecoming, hate to think it but its about 50 years since I rode on the Downs, thanks for giving me ideas.
The Satmap I use is an ACTIV 10, they've got an offer on at the moment, Satmap
It comes with a very solid mount, but only Open Cycle Route maps, I use the Platinum South of England map which has OS 1:10000, 1:25000, which comes extra, it is pricey, but I wouldn't be without it. They've just brought out a bigger more expensive model, so prices will drop. You can plan routes online, download to Activ 10, or plan them on the unit, or you can just ride freestyle it plots your trail, then you can save it as a route.
I like it, but others use Garmin, Mapranger plenty to choose from, don't get me wrong, I love paper maps, I just couldn't handle them offroad.
Wouldn't sayno to a gentle blast on the downs, wonder if anyone else would meet up?

Stan

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
You can't go around saying things like that! :D

It did get a little bit dirty, but predominantly it was cow and sheep poo.:(

I've already cleaned it right up again, ready for it's next outing. I must admit that the frame is starting to look pretty tired now. I'm not that worried about that though, as the main thing is that it's kept in tip top mechanical order. Despite the hassles that I've had with the bike, I'm rather fond of it. :)

Thankfully the slime didn't really make to much mess considering. But yep the van does have a bulkhead.
The black and red blends in nicely, did you put on those nice fat tires or did they come as standard with the bike? The only thing that I suppose spoils the whole mood for riding in that beautiful scenery is not having a bunch of other riders with you. Anyway, I do like your back garden.

MS.

Advertisers