How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Anybody that thinks a cable brake is better is suffering from some sort of dilusions (unless I am).
Not my views, but those I've seen on product reviews and other bike forums.
Bottom line, the max pressure you can apply on the leaver is the same for both types of brake, it's down to mechanical losses by the time that pressure reaches the pads.
On paper a hydraulic system should always be better, but budget systems with low grade materials are outside my experience and I can only go on other peoples opinions regarding cheep hydraulics.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a lot of people on lots of forums passing on second-hand information without knowing the facts. It's best that you try some, then you'll know what's best.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
There's a lot of people on lots of forums passing on second-hand information without knowing the facts. It's best that you try some, then you'll know what's best.
Your not wrong there:)
Today I will be mostly trying cable brakes;)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I agree with d8 - decent hydraulics are all but maintenance free and certainly don't need bleeding.

I'm sure good quality cable discs can be good, although they will need occasional adjustment.

Moral is buy quality kit of whichever type you chose.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
In 20 years never had to bleed any brakes , on 10 bikes .
Worn a few pads though , some on one downhill section. Just get occasional fade on some cheaper pads
Brakes from magura , avid , SRAM , shimano

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The quality of parts fitted to BH bikes is pretty shocking. Designed to be used, the bikes aren't.
Can't help thinking you should have bought a Haibike, considering the bashing you give yours :)

Ooops - Just found your post on another thread - Looks like you might...

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
One other thing, Sealskinz sock aren't water proof, despite what the marketing crap says!
Nothing bar latex is waterproof against water ingress from above, which is how it usually happens, but you still wind up with condensation building up inside the socks and hence wet feet eventually.

I swapped my sealskinz for some merino wool socks. They absorb moisture / condensation but keep your feet pretty warm even when wet and found that better in the end than trying to prevent the inevitable.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've just squeezed 18miles in hoping to bed my new disc in a bit.
Anywho, I'm cooling down now and realised just how wet I am.

;) That's me off for a sauna :p

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly no scenery shots from this weekends exploits. I rode 18 miles yesterday on the road as I wanted to stay clean, but found it very difficult on a couple of occasions as I just wanted to nip off road to see where tracks lead to.
Todays ride was completely the opposite. I met up with a lad that I didn't know via Facebook, and we completed a 19mile ride that was horrendously wet and muddy. Annoyingly I managed to leave my water bottle and camera in the van, so these two photos are from when I returned. Luckily the final mile or so was on road, so at least the mud sprayed off a bit.
Only one tumble and one puncture, so it wasn't a bad ride! :D

Note the cable tie that now holds the control console in place. There must be a less vulnerable way to mount control consoles, especially on what is 'meant' to be an off road bike. In my opinion, the BH is only designed for pottering along cycle paths.

I have also had my entry through for this. :)http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-southern-rough-ride/

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Where is everyone? The threads gone very quiet.

I was out again today and did the hardest 35miles that I have ever done. As expected it was incredibly muddy, but the mileage between the 26mile point and the 30 mile point really did finish me off a sit was almost un rideable and pushing 21kg of bike through mud and up steep inclines when you are already fooked, was really tough on me.

It started fine...

Then became gradually worse. To follow..

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Where is everyone?
I'm hoping to get out tomorrow (PM). I've promised the old timers (78&82) a walk in the country (AM). As I'm a youngster (52) I can walk then cycle, I've got a 15 mile ride planed featuring light mud, hard pack gravel & a little Tarmac. :)

Reactions: peerjay56

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
You ask a lot of that bike Eddy!

I have just picked up an identical neo xtrem, in a sale at my LBS here in Derby. So far, I am absolutely loving the bike to bits. I got it last week, and have clocked up 100 kilometres whenever I can get out.

I am definitely finding that I am out on this bike a lot more often than I would have been on my old Specialized.

I will report back with some interesting pics when I get around to taking some.

I really like the look of your mudflaps there Eddy, were they home-made, or did you buy them from somewhere? I am finding I get back of my rides with a wet arse.

Edit to say, that I did a test ride on a Haibike, which was very, very nice. But the Neo was better to ride in my opinion, and half the price. It brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. I am struggling to get more than 20 miles out of the battery though, is this normal?

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I am struggling to get more than 20 miles out of the battery though, is this normal?
I've no experience of your bike or battery but in the pedelec world there's no such animal as normal;)
It's down to how you use it that makes all the difference. My Agattu has a 24v 10A battery, I've learnt to moderate my usage and save the assist for when I really need it, rather than just use it to up my average speed.
This Sunday, I did a known 20 mile ride and I used 4/5 of a full charge mostly on the worst of the hills.
If I'm exploring not knowing exactly where or how far I'm going, I tend to conserve my battery by changing down a gear or two, I still keep my cadence up but at a slower mph :( on the plus side, I don't usually run out of charge before I get back home:p
Anywho, just keep going and don't forget to smile at the road racers when you see them, it winds them up if you enjoying your ride and they seem to be in pain:mad:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice to see another Neo Xtrem rider on here. :) Despite the odd hassles that I've had with my bike, like you have already discovered, it always puts a smile on my face. :)

The front mudguard on mine is a Topeak Defender, which snapped with the first 'light' fall. Thankfully I've managed to kind of repair it. It's surprising how much crud that it does stop though, especially when the roads are wet and nasty. From that respect it was worth the money.
The rear mudguard is just a home made one, which really could have done with being another 50mm longer. The best way that I have found to keep the mud off, was with the Topeak rear rack. You don't get anything at all up your back when that's fitted. I really should put it back on again.

Battery wise, when I first got the bike and wasn't in the scheme of things fit, I'd struggle to get 20-22miles out of it, but gradually over time I now get close to 30 miles, and last weekend 35miles. I have yet to notice any difference at all between the power modes, so just leave it in ECO and use pedal only where possible, and use the battery as little a spossible. I think it very wrong that manufacturers as whole give such ridiculous claims on battery duration. I reckon that in the real world not fantasy manufacturers/dealers world, any of us could flatten a battery on any of the current bikes within 20miles if you put your mind to it.

If you are going to be using your bike off road as in muddy conditions, I'd highly recommend changing the tyres for something more grippy. For general use though, I'd struggle to fault the original Continental tyres. They offer a good compromise between everything.

On the wear and tear front. The first chain wore out after approx 700miles, which I guess isn't surprising, the jockey wheels/bearings could now do replacing and I've been noticing a clonk for a while now, which I believe I have traced back to the rear cassette. The front brake pads also lasted approx. 700miles, but again, they are getting a hard life.

The motor also isn't as quiet as it first was, but that might just be my imagination.

Problems aside it's still a great bike, and I love every second of using it, but I'm starting to think that a full suspension bike along crank drive might end up being on the cards at some stage. The downside of this would be that the discreet non electric look that I so like would be gone.

I'm not really into FB, but if you are interested, I started a page a while back for the Xtrem and some of my rides. https://www.facebook.com/mud.plugger

Anywho, just keep going and don't forget to smile at the road racers when you see them, it winds them up if you enjoying your ride and they seem to be in pain:mad:
Google Kidds Hill or look on Youtube. I take great delight in cruising one handed past people on race bikes up this hill. I just give them a cheery hello, natter to them as they are out of breathe and can't reply, then politely say, must be going now, and just speed off! :D

Last edited:

Backin5

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2014
Good advice, I'm fed up of carting around my old school pump. Does the mountain morph attach to the bike frame?

Advertisers