How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Stan, a gentle ride on the Downs in like minded good company, sounds a superb way to spend some time. :)

I have no idea what this area of the North Downs is like, but I booked in to do the next Wiggle ride here. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/wiggle-ups-and-downs-april-26th-2014.17387/ If the route turns out to be pleasant and enjoyable, that could also be an option, as it would be roughly midway. Obviously I also have no objection to venturing back down to the coast again, and with SRS living there, he is bound to have some nice routes to hand.

Many thanks for the GPS links, I'll take a look at them later.

MS, I fitted the Panaracer XC fire pro's last year. They certainly helped to build my confidence off road, and are also a really safe feeling tyre on road, which is perhaps odd given their tread pattern.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Off to Gisburn soon - I'll post pics when I come back - maybe even some GoPro footage.

And guess where I went today, collecting a severely damaged left knee with rider attached? Gisburn - Sheep Hill Boardwalk - which ironically was actually quite dry now. Apparently a dog was to blame. Moral: Don't go offroading with a dog on a leado_O

Julian in Frimley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2014
Hi There, Being quite new to all of this I have now done a couple of off road sessions on my Oxygen bike, including across fields, through a couple of forests, both without paths and also some quite stoney and bumpy tracks and tow paths. On a recent trip the bike was really covered in mud so I purchased a 10 Litre pump up garden sprayer from Amazon and now have my own pressure washer to keep in the car and spray the bike off before I stick it back in the car - I put it inside the car (Renault Scenic) at present as I don;t have a strong enough mount to carry it outside. Best Wishes, Julian.

Reactions: EddiePJ

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hi There, Being quite new to all of this I have now done a couple of off road sessions on my Oxygen bike, including across fields, through a couple of forests, both without paths and also some quite stoney and bumpy tracks and tow paths. On a recent trip the bike was really covered in mud so I purchased a 10 Litre pump up garden sprayer from Amazon and now have my own pressure washer to keep in the car and spray the bike off before I stick it back in the car - I put it inside the car (Renault Scenic) at present as I don;t have a strong enough mount to carry it outside. Best Wishes, Julian.
Great idea and something I always meant to do.
I used to park near a stream if possible which helped to wash the cow poo off the tyres.
Dave.

Dave Williams

Apr 8, 2014
Vale of Glamorgan
We live on a main road and about 5 min walk from cardiff airport. But this beautiful landscape is about 5 min cycle the other direction. Never been there myself until I bought the bike last week.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
How beautiful Dave, now I am wondering is it really worth getting London Weighting :confused:.

MS.:)
The more people who opt to stay in and around London (and other large cities), the better it is for the rest of us, so you hang on in there MS:p

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
We live on a main road and about 5 min walk from cardiff airport. But this beautiful landscape is about 5 min cycle the other direction. Never been there myself until I bought the bike last week.
Hi Dave,

I have a sister who lives at Malpas, and after seeing your photos, I quite fancy popping along to visit that area of the coast when I'm next down that way.
I don't suppose that you could post up a map link for the spot? :)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I guess there must be more than one Malpas - Ours is on the river Fal, near Truro.

Your post reminded me of a tale my missus told me some years ago...
She was doing the evening shift at a filling station on the A30, when a couple of women called in to refuel & asked if they were in Wales yet.
The missus had some difficulty persuading them they were actually in Cornwall & that they should have turned right at Bristol :rolleyes:

She could write a book...

Reactions: EddiePJ

Julian in Frimley

Feb 6, 2014
Enjoyed the post, love Wales ! - holidaying in Pembrokeshire this summer and tackling the coastal path. All looks really cool :)

Dave Williams

Apr 8, 2014
Vale of Glamorgan
Bryn Y Gloyn
Rhoose, Barry, Bro Morgannwg CF62, UK. This is the closest street to the area. To be honest im not saying its the best off road place to go its just local to me and has a few lagoons where the kids like to have a fish. But lots of grass tracks along the coastal path

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have a neighbour that wants to try out an e-bike, and even possibly buy my Haibike, so I thought that I'd take it for a spin this evening to work out a mixed route to take him on.
As much as I feel that Haibikes aren't for me, I have to say that each time that I've taken this bike off road, it copes incredibly well given that it isn't really designed for this use.
The front forks are way too heavy, wooden and horrid, the brakes are very mediocre, the saddle needs putting in the bin, as do the peddles, but the standard Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tyres are superb. I love a bike that feels loose underneath, and these tyres are far better than they should be. I can see why people rate them so highly. The bike also carries light off road speed very well, in a kind of hooligan riding style way. :)

Sorry for the blurred photos.

Two miles of empty cycle track in each direction.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Come on lads you are slacking!!:D

I took advantage of the break in the rain this evening when the sun finally came out, and put in a 16mile ride where perhaps I shouldn't have! ;)

Annoyingly the first half of the ride was spoilt with error 13 constantly popping up. I had thought that it was the battery, but after repeated removal and refitting I then started at the console end, and once again that was where my problem was. I have no idea how the console works loose given that it is screwed down, but it does.

Anyway back onto the ride. I overcooked it on one track which had become washed out, and I think that I have now slightly buckled the front wheel, when the front dived into a massive hole. My first thought was s**t I'm on my own. Thankfully my speed got me through it, so no harm done to me. For safety reasons, I'm beginning to think that I need to find someone to ride with.

After the above I then ventured onto somewhere that doesn't matter, but this proved to be more of a challenge than I had first thought that it was going to be.
I came across a swollen stream that I had no choice but to carry the bike across. So there I am up to my knees in cold water carrying the bike. Thankfully my feet and legs were only cold for a few moments. Not knowing where I was, I then ended up in some very marshy ground. To say that this ride became tough is an understatement. I still enjoyed every second of it, and can't wait to get back out again exploring. Just a shame that I'll have to do it late evening! ;)

It's good to be back in the mud again.

Looking just as it should again.

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Took it out for it's first off road trip yesterday - the "8" red route at Gisburn Forest in Lancashire. Nice route, nothing to serious and I even had a go on a few black runs :) Certainly more bum clenching moments than when I was 20 and doing this though! Used 4.8ah from the pack out of 12ah and we did 11.2 miles - so that's 23 miles range off road - and I was using max assist ALOT as I really wanted to push the battery - although in a group it was too powerful to be honest. Backing of the assist when appropriate I reckon a good 45/50mile ride would be possible. Really happy with the way the bike perfomed - only one issue was the chain kepper came loose, so it stopped me using the 36t ring at the back as it dropped the chain a the front if using that gear.

Before:-

After (I didn't use the saddle bag battery - just carried that in my backpack "just in case"):-

Run down the black run "Hully Gully", taking it easy:-

Advertisers