How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I overcooked it on one track which had become washed out, and I think that I have now slightly buckled the front wheel, when the front dived into a massive sandstone hole. My first thought was s**t I'm on my own. Thankfully the fast speed that I was carrying got me through it, so no harm done to me. For safety reasons, I'm beginning to think that I need to find someone to ride with
After last weeks Wiggle ride, I thought that I'd get the bike into the guys that now service/prep it for me, so that they could give it a quick once over, in readiness for the next Wiggle ride.
Sure enough when I went to pick it up the first thing that they said was "have you had an off"
It turned out that the wheel had a double buckle, which possibly doesn't surprise me given the massive hit that it received.
I maintain the bike pretty thoroughly myself, but having a second set of eyes go over the bike, somehow seems a prudent thing to do. It amazes me just how different that it feels when I get it back after it has gone through the workshop.
You kind of get used to how things feel, and don't notice when they could possibly be improved. On this occasion it was my brakes. I hadn't noticed just how spongy that they had become, but getting the bike today was a real WOW in comparison to how the brakes had been, when the bike went in. I'm back to having going over the handle bar stopping power again, which was sadly lacking last week, but I had just put it down to the severe conditions of the day.

The lads have done a good job of truing the wheel back up again, but I'm already wondering if I might be able to save a few grams of weight and also added strength by looking at others brands. In reality I probably won't though, but it's a nice thought.
The bike actually looked pretty good when I collected it on my way home from work today, and I've certainly missed being without it for the two days.
With the next Wiggle ride being in two weeks time, I'm probably going to nip off and ride some of the course this weekend to suss out the route, and to also work out if the battery will last the 32miles, or whether I'll have to opt for the shorter 25mile route. The latter feels like a cop out, but looking at the ordnance survey map, there is some hellish climbs to be taken into account.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ah, the joys of a newly fettled bike.

About 15 years ago I had a Saracen mountain bike, paid about £400 for it so not bad quality, but far from top of the range.

The gears started acting up a bit and I took it in to the shop to be looked at.

Turned out I had a bit of float on the front chain ring.

They fixed that and re-indexed the gears.

The lovely crisp changes as I rode away still bring a smile to face today.

I was bowling along, changing up and down all the time purely for the joy of it.

A simple pleasure, but a memorable one.

Reactions: EddiePJ

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
One for SRS. :)

This one is called 'Destination Unknown'. Do you think that I managed a few wrong turns on the 22mile ride. :)
A few wrong turns? I call it exploring.

Would have liked to have come along, as usual family events.

Hopefully another ride.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Exploring sounds far better than "why the hell aren't the bridleways marked properly" :)

It wasn't until I ended up at Sussex University, that I even had any idea that I had ventured in your general direction. It didn't even occur to me.

I still have the Wiggle event to do on the 17th, but perhaps after that we can try to arrange something. I'm self employed, so can always swap my days around to suit if it helps. :)

Reactions: SRS

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Judges Ride: Oxfordfordshire: Took a trip out to Oxfordshire to do this ride, on my new toy, the KTM eRace P.

a real contrast in terrain and style, starting off with 'Quiet Lanes' through woodland

Then onto wide bridle paths and tracks

Wide open farmland followed

With the usual short sharp Oxfordshire hills

As EddiePJ has commented on, the climbing ability of the Panasonic hub on the KTM is outstanding, really impressed by the grip in some areas of quite thick mud.
From the wide open spaces to almost claustrophobic tracks,

And a section of the Ridgeway, caution required, very slippery hard chalk and tree roots.

Surprised how much mud there was on this route, but I suppose the clue is that it's a bridleway, and this is horse country. I would certainly avoid this at any time apart from Summer months.

A really enjoyable ride, although slightly longer at 19 miles, than the leaflets would have you believe.
At long last after a couple of attempts I seem to have got the right bike for me, a good torque on climbs, great grip in the mud, (although I have replaced the Racing Ralph tyres with the more puncture resistant Smart Sam Pluses), and a battery life that I have not fully explored yet. (I had got used to carrying a spare battery when using the Falco hub, the most I've used over 20miles with the KTM is 40%.)
I've always been more of a Rockshox fan, so was a little sceptical of the Suntor Raidon, especially when I first braked and felt a bit of brake flutter, but now the pads have bedded in that has disappeared, certainly they are robust forks, they don't appear to flex and the remote lockout is more useful than I thought it would be, and very handy when swapping from road to trail on a ride like this.
One thing I am sure of is that the KTM is a fine bike, and probably exceeds my aged capabilities, but it certainly makes riding these kinds of terrain immensely satisfying, that's the way it should be.

Attachments

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
What a brilliant right up, and good to see the thread back at the top of the page again. :) I'm very envious.

I just wish that BH would sort my poxy replacement battery out, so that I can once again play in the mud. 5 weeks is taking the **** somewhat! Don't ever buy a BH product!
I contacted the companies MD yesterday, Sunday, in the hope of rattling the tree. He responding within minutes, but I'm still not holding my breath.

Is that Satmap on your handlebars? I'm at the stage now where paper maps are loosing their appeal, with them blowing around and getting covered in mud etc. edit.. Scrap that comment, I can see that it's a Satmap active 10. So the question is, how do you rate it in respect of pre route planning etc?

I also can't believe the contrast between how wet that it is where you are, and how dry that it is around here.

I also like your comments in relation to the front forks. Like you, I'm a big Rockshox fan, and also have the same dread as you when it comes to Suntour front forks. I'll have to keep a close eye on your feelings about the forks, as you use the bike more. :)

The bike certainly scrubs up well, and if you are interested, I spotted this a few weeks ago in an old mtb mag. http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3336&p=188110&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Lubricants & Cleaning&gclid=CP26hYD9_r4CFeoJwwodmUkA9A Expensive, but could prove very useful.

Last edited:

berkobennie

Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2012
Berkhamsted, Herts
Eddie, the Satmap is a great tool, I just couldn't be faffing about with paper maps on a ride, don't get me wrong I love maps, just not on a bike when its chucking it down. I'm not sure how it compares with such as Garmin, I'm sure they all do a fine job, the Satmap had a big screen and is very robust, their website details all the organizations that use it, mountain rescue etc. Also uses OS maps, but you have to pay for the privilege! The new bigger Satmap is faster, but at £450 + its taking the P as well as the £s. Older version has dropped in price. If you do go for the Satmap, I've got a set of maps stretching from Norfolk to Dorset, 1:25K scale, you really could have them for peanuts, I bought a complete set during a carefree moment of financial rashness!
I've built up a fair library of GPX routes, there is also an online planner and server, you can search for other routes virtually all over the globe.

Its at its best with pre route planning, you can plan on the device or online/download, in fact I often use your maps to plot routes, so thanks for that! One day I'll get round to riding them!
You can use it to track your route, so if you are just exploring, the trail is recorded, you can edit it later, ie take out all the wrong turnings we know and love!
The mud surprised me too, mostly in wooded sections, can only assume it was due to clay layer, those who know tell me Oxford is famed for it... now they tell me.
Like the look of the portable washer, was looking for one a few month back, looks a neat unit, I shall file that under next acquisition list.
Sorry if this is going on a bit, is it possible to upload a gpx (or eml for that matter) ? it would be a good way of sharing routes with each other.

Reactions: EddiePJ

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Eddie, the Satmap is a great tool, I just couldn't be faffing about with paper maps on a ride, don't get me wrong I love maps, just not on a bike when its chucking it down. I'm not sure how it compares with such as Garmin, I'm sure they all do a fine job, the Satmap had a big screen and is very robust, their website details all the organizations that use it, mountain rescue etc. Also uses OS maps, but you have to pay for the privilege! The new bigger Satmap is faster, but at £450 + its taking the P as well as the £s. Older version has dropped in price. If you do go for the Satmap, I've got a set of maps stretching from Norfolk to Dorset, 1:25K scale, you really could have them for peanuts, I bought a complete set during a carefree moment of financial rashness!
I've built up a fair library of GPX routes, there is also an online planner and server, you can search for other routes virtually all over the globe.

Its at its best with pre route planning, you can plan on the device or online/download, in fact I often use your maps to plot routes, so thanks for that! One day I'll get round to riding them!
You can use it to track your route, so if you are just exploring, the trail is recorded, you can edit it later, ie take out all the wrong turnings we know and love!
The mud surprised me too, mostly in wooded sections, can only assume it was due to clay layer, those who know tell me Oxford is famed for it... now they tell me.
Like the look of the portable washer, was looking for one a few month back, looks a neat unit, I shall file that under next acquisition list.
Sorry if this is going on a bit, is it possible to upload a gpx (or eml for that matter) ? it would be a good way of sharing routes with each other.
Not sure how you'll share your maps. The SD cards are copy protected - unless you know a technique that I need to know?:rolleyes:

Edit: +1 for the satmap 10, though as yet I haven't used it on my bike:oops:

friendly1uk

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2013
That is a nice looking bike - I've enjoyed Eddie's and your posts. I am also jealous of your offroad capabilities on that bike. Time to sort out my mtb, I think.
Both very nice looking bikes used in a manner that gets my attention.

I get in similar states. I won't drop off a curb, but would try and cross them bricks and have found myself wheel spinning mud up my back while stationary, thinking of nothing but how the muddy waters going to feel when I sink to my ankle in it.

I have a strong road bike. A 1996 Claud £350 catalogue Butler. CBX Aluminium for the true geeks amongst us. A straight barred racer with over size tubing. To this I have added Big Mammoth rims and large road tyres. I'm still avoiding curb drops though. The rear hub motor and battery weight combined is quite high. I would love to see what drops people had managed. I would do steps if it were not for my fear of busting it. That's my limit though, I'm no good at stunts.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice photo Tim, where are you based?

The new battery for the BH has finally arrived. It's only taken 7 weeks!!!!!!! :mad:

BH are SHITE!!!

The next two days at work are going to be pretty tough, but I'm still hoping to get out on it Friday eve to get it mucky again. I'd forgotten just easily the thing lifts its front end, and riding it on our loose driveway, had the back wheel spinning and the front end lifting. The good times are back again. :)

The motor certainly seems louder than I remembered though, or perhaps the Panasonic on the KTM had just spoilt me a bit.

One overly clean BH.

SRS, I don't know if you have seen this news item, but I had intended to ride Friston this coming Sunday. I'll give it a miss now. :(

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local/breaking-news-eastbourne-cyclists-warned-over-deadly-traps-1-6136866#.U6hQS0pFwfo.facebook

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Nice photo Tim, where are you based?

The new battery for the BH has finally arrived. It's only taken 7 weeks!!!!!!! :mad:

BH are SHITE!!!

The next two days at work are going to be pretty tough, but I'm still hoping to get out on it Friday eve to get it mucky again. I'd forgotten just easily the thing lifts its front end, and riding it on our loose driveway, had the back wheel spinning and the front end lifting. The good times are back again. :)

The motor certainly seems louder than I remembered though, or perhaps the Panasonic on the KTM had just spoilt me a bit.

One overly clean BH.

SRS, I don't know if you have seen this news item, but I had intended to ride Friston this coming Sunday. I'll give it a miss now. :(

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/local/breaking-news-eastbourne-cyclists-warned-over-deadly-traps-1-6136866#.U6hQS0pFwfo.facebook
Eddie, great to hear you. have your battery back. To think that I first looked and test rode BH bikes.

7 days would be unacceptable to me.

As for the news, no I had not heard but won't be going to Friston anytime soon.

Reminds me of my whitewater kayaking days in Wales many years ago. The fisherman had strung barbed wires across the river at neck height.

Beggars belief. What on earth is wrong with these people? Such hatred towards fellow human beings.

Advertisers