Burisch offroad electric bike, new for £649 on ebay

jdone

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2012
^ I think he said that when he replaced the rear casette the original chainwheel was fine??

I bought a Burisch after reading pretty positive comments on here so I thought I'd sign up.
I was in the process of saving for a Haibike ( £2500) ..saw this and thought why not for 699 and I've been pleasantly suprised.

I've had a few "Interesting bikes" my last purchased was a folding Dahon Mountain bike and I'd say I agree with other posters that the build quality is comparable to other "economic to good" brands"

On my first journey out one of the pedals disintegrated but I've had this happen on more expensive bikes before and on contacting Burisch about the pedal they were prompt in their response.

On my second journey out I got a puncture ( not the bikes fault) so I faced the prospect of having to take off the dreaded rear wheel.

After getting familiarised with all the "different" bits it was all very straightforward once the scary looking wire with a spring and bolt with a hole in it were negotiated.

In terms of hill climbing ability; it's adequate in peddal assisted mode.
If you want to climb very steep hills unassisted I think you'd probably need a higher battery output or be less than 9 stone.

Going out again today for a 20 mile test ride so will report back later

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Hi James. I'm considering this cycle as my first venture into ebikes and have found your input most helpful, thanks.
My one question is regarding your problems with increasing chainwheel size and chain coming off.
Did you add links to the chain, or fit a new chain of correct length ?
Regards
Bill
Didnt change the chain length - in the end I am running an 11-28T rear cog and a 45 front chainwheel - which pretty much gives me everything - ie decent cadence for cruising and the chain does not come off much if at all. I cycled up to Mums earlier today - Axminster station to her place 5 miles out of town - MAJOR hills - average speed? 16.4mph - not bad.

norry

Jun 22, 2012
Update: After of 4 weeks of great riding, including some pretty horrible rain everything was going fine. Rear brake is still rubbish and the pads are wearing down quick so I'll be replacing that with the new brake very soon. Some issues with the chain coming off now that I have a 48t front cog when changing down too quickly. All in all thought very happy.

Until this morning. After 5mins of riding complete loss of power. Nothing. Battery is nice and fresh and it was working fine last night and this morning when I took it out the shed. I wonder if with all this wet weather some water has crept in somewhere? Must be a power issue as the front light doesn't even work.

Any ideas? I'm going to take apart the controller this evening and see how far the battery power is going if any.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
When you press the indicator, does the battery light show that it is charged? I'm thinking it might even be the battery connector, that's assuming you remove the battery regularly to charge. Also the controller has an unnecessary [IMO] power connector which is exposed to the elements and might cause a power short. You might want to disable that connector. If there's no light on the battery, check fuses.

norry

Jun 22, 2012
There is a light on the battery so the fuse should be good. I took the controller box apart and checked the connections which all seemed fine. I also took the battery connector apart to check the wires were still connected which they were.

However when I was putting it back together I got a flash from the light so I think it's a lose wire somewhere.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Looks like a fantastic buy at that price, it ticks all the right boxes, 20kg total weight, front-suspension, low weight 36v 9AH battery, discrete rear motor and the battery design is neat too so removing and carrying it would be feasible.. that's slightly cheaper than what it cost to build my own! but my kit is a bit more sophisticated than the basic one on that bike I think. If I was in the market for a new bike I'd definitely consider that tho.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
^ I think he said that when he replaced the rear casette the original chainwheel was fine??

I bought a Burisch after reading pretty positive comments on here so I thought I'd sign up.
I was in the process of saving for a Haibike ( £2500) ..saw this and thought why not for 699 and I've been pleasantly suprised.

I've had a few "Interesting bikes" my last purchased was a folding Dahon Mountain bike and I'd say I agree with other posters that the build quality is comparable to other "economic to good" brands"

On my first journey out one of the pedals disintegrated but I've had this happen on more expensive bikes before and on contacting Burisch about the pedal they were prompt in their response.

On my second journey out I got a puncture ( not the bikes fault) so I faced the prospect of having to take off the dreaded rear wheel.

After getting familiarised with all the "different" bits it was all very straightforward once the scary looking wire with a spring and bolt with a hole in it were negotiated.

In terms of hill climbing ability; it's adequate in peddal assisted mode.
If you want to climb very steep hills unassisted I think you'd probably need a higher battery output or be less than 9 stone.

Going out again today for a 20 mile test ride so will report back later
Interesting to get a review on the bike, shame about your pedal problem and puncture.. let us know what your overall impression is and if you would recommend it.

I have a cheap Dahon-Espresso-style folding MTB I converted myself (250W) and I run it with 36V 10Ah it has no problems climbing even the steepest hills..even without assistance! I used to run it on 5Ah and that would fail on some steeper hills but managed most moderate hills. I was over 10 stone at the time, but have since lost 2 stone from illness!

Last edited:

tcblue

May 31, 2012
Nice bike not suprised it has sold out worried they had stopped supplying them completely so no backup

Last edited:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Nice bike ajax, i like it lots :cool:
Something you wont be able to tell from the photos is that the frame isn't round as you'd imagine, but flattened. The cross tube, for example, has a triangular-ish profile, flat on top, flat on the sides, and very funky. Certainly not an anonymous bike ;)

jdone

Jul 29, 2012
Done around 120 miles on this bike now and it's good fun.
As they stipulate in the manual it isnt a proper off road MTB but it is perfect for trails/the road.

In terms of back up for parts...I think everything apart from the motor and controller is just generic bike bits....

I'm giving serious consideration to spending another £200 to upgrade the rear casette, hand grips, tyres and peddals as it's the fairly light frame ( with holes for wiring) that makes the bike IMO.

I do seem to be having a bit of an issue with the battery not charging all the way to 5 blocks on the battery strength indicatoe) but I intend to contact Burisch and see what they say.

tcblue

May 31, 2012
My battery on the burisch does the same thing only four out of the five lights after a full charge ?could you let me know what they say thanks

mogwai

Aug 9, 2012
London, UK
I signed up to this site having read the reviews and opinions of this bike, was just about to buy one when the stock ran out. I've found that the guy behind Burisch is very responsive to questions via email and has confirmed that I can get spare chargers and a battery if needed so am impressed with their support. They did tell me that the new stock would be in for November and would have a couple of updated components but weren't very clear on whether that includes updated gearing and proper connectors for the controller... eager to hear what's coming.

Sadly I can't wait that long as I'm currently without any bike at all so will get myself a cyclotricity stealth to play with for a while. Pending further reviews from your fine selves may swap it for a Burisch when they are back in stock!

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
My battery on the burisch does the same thing only four out of the five lights after a full charge ?could you let me know what they say thanks
I've got the same issue... battery good for approximately 15 miles on the flat with some gentle hills, mainly throttle.

see http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/12393-battery-charger.html

I'm beginning to think this might be down to the charger, as so many with the same apparent fault doesn't sound like it would be the battery.

Last edited:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Done around 120 miles on this bike now and it's good fun.

I'm giving serious consideration to spending another £200 to upgrade the rear casette, hand grips, tyres and peddals as it's the fairly light frame ( with holes for wiring) that makes the bike IMO.
I would also recommend a dab of Nut sealant for the crank bolts, as these with lower gears installed, are under higher crank preasure than normal and can work themselves loose.

Metal Thread Nut Locker Universal Sealant Lock Screws Stud Nuts & Bolts | eBay
2 Crank bolts allen key bike bottom bracket bb cycle bike bicycle axle | eBay

jdone

Jul 29, 2012
Reply re Battery:

This is normal according to the factory, the LED indicator is setup for a range of different batteries, some of which are much higher output.
A fresh battery will show all the lights but over a short time the maximum lights it will show is 4 lights.
Hope this helps

Would be interested to hear what experienced e-bike users make of this...will there be an equivalent drop of battery capacity???

D

Deleted member 4366

Battery indicator lights on most bikes show voltage; however, they can be set to whatever the manufacturer decides, and even then, there can be a significant discrepancy on indications, so I wouldn't take too much notice of them. They do give you an indication of how your particular bike behaves so that you can learn what's normal. Then you can see when you forgot to charge it or when the battery deteriorates with age.

If you really want to see what's going on, get a voltmeter like this:
Waterproof Digital Voltmeter DC 15V To 120V Red Led Voltage Digital Panel Meter | eBay

jdone

Jul 29, 2012
^ Good answer thanks.

OK I'm on about 180 miles with this bike now and I've had a few more problems which it has to be said ; Burisch have been fairly quick and helpfull in their responses.

I had a loud repeating crank click/snapping noise which I reported to them so they told me to remove the crank arms and lightly grease the flat surfaces.
I dont have the tools to do this so I had to settle for a squirt of wd40 in the crank mechanism which seems to have temporarily solved the issue.

On returning yesterday evening I noticed the front suspension lock switch seems to have stopped working....leaving it unable to lock off suspension.

I'll contact Burisch about this and let you know what they say.

I hope this isnt a recurring pattern of cheap parts but as I said before...I've had a Dahon Jack that had roughly the same number of issues and didnt include any electric functionality so not too worried yet.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
News just in....

PRE-ORDER ONLY! Stock arrives approximately December 5th 2012.
If you purchase this, its an advance order and will only be delivered between December 5-10, 2012.

And just to show they are listening....

This is the 2013 updated version with many updates over the previous 2012 version:
- New 7 speed rear gear cassette and 7-speed shifter, for better cadence
- Waterproof quick-release connector at the motor, for speedy wheel removal
- Replaced brake levers, tektro brand, polished aluminium, high quality units
- Rear disc brakes - Shimano

WE ALSO HAVE A LARGER FRAME SIZE AVAILABLE,
20" FRAME WITH 28" WHEELS.
RING US FOR DETAILS

BURISCH Synergy GT250 Ebike e-bike pedelec electric bicycle | eBay