Burisch offroad electric bike, new for £649 on ebay

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Any ideas on how fast you were going? ;)

Also does anyone know if there is a relationship between the numbers of teeth on a chain ring and the likelihood of the chain coming off? Or would this just be down to chain tension? Just asking.

How fast? I think it might have been slightly over 15mph.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
How fast? I think it might have been slightly over 15mph.

Just Slightly? You must be packing more weight than muggins here. ;)

BTW have you been able to raise the handle bars height, or adjust the stem angle?
The stem is suppose to be adjustable but i could manage this either. I'm thinking of
visiting a cycle shop for some assistance.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Unfortunately I think the proper solution is a new frame! (front and rear cogs are too close basically).

With the Chainring (front large cog on the crank for those new to the names here) and rear-set that close my hunch is that anything beyond a 46T messes up the geometry too much - which is how come I have gone got me an 11T rear gear - to keep the front chainwheel size down as far as I can -

I have adjusted mine so I dont use the 28T rear at all - because any attempt with the 50T to go into first threw the chain off.
Surely a decent Derailleur should allow you to adjust and prevent the chain slipping.
Personally i don't think the 48T might not be enough of a jump from the 42T, the bike is presently used exclusively in 6th gear, i would need a larger chainring to take advantage of the lower gears. I was thinking a fitted chainguard might also be the way to go with these bigger chainrings.

eg, something like the following also from the same shop
Shimano Altus 8 Crank Square Tapered "SILVER" 48/38/28 MTB Chainset & Chainguard | eBay

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

BTW have you been able to raise the handle bars height, or adjust the stem angle?
The stem is suppose to be adjustable but i could manage this either. I'm thinking of
Yeah its easy to adjust the stem height. Just look at it slowly and you can work it out.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Surely a decent Derailleur should allow you to adjust and prevent the chain slipping.
Personally i don't think the 48T might not be enough of a jump from the 42T, the bike is presently used exclusively in 6th gear, i would need a larger chainring to take advantage of the lower gears. I was thinking a fitted chainguard might also be the way to go with these bigger chainrings.

Shimano Altus 8 Crank Square Tapered "SILVER" 48/38/28 MTB Chainset & Chainguard | eBay
I am going with a 46T and the 11T at the rear - this will - by my maths - give me the right cadence for the speeds I was thinking of.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

Its got nothing to do with a 'decent derailleur' - and everything to do with the geometry. If the geometry is 'out' then you're in trouble - decent derailleur or not.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

Packing less - and playing safe. (wink)

tcblue

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2012
Would it be easy to repair a puncture in the back Tyre as the wheel has no connection terminal
To make it easy to take the wheel off

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Usually by releasing a tie there is enough slack to get the wheel out with the bike laying down, giving enough room to change a tyre or tube.

But for a puncture there's no need to remove a wheel, just release the V brake cable from the stirrup to expand it's arms, turn the bike over and work on the non-chain side. There is enough room to rotate the tube around inside the frame alongside the wheel.

tcblue

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 31, 2012
When fitting the 48t chain ring will I need to make the chain longer?

Last edited:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Yeah its easy to adjust the stem height. Just look at it slowly and you can work it out.
Yeah, I took some advice on this. Seems its not the nuts on the sides you adjust, but the nut under the stem. All sorted now.

The stem height can't of course be adjusted, just the stem angle, which is easily good enough.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah, I took some advice on this. Seems its not the nuts on the sides you adjust, but the nut under the stem. All sorted now.

The stem height can't of course be adjusted, just the stem angle, which is easily good enough.
There you go! Sometimes you just have to study the thing and then it becomes obvious how it all works - but this does mean you have to look real carefully. Good for you.

I'm having my 11t-28T 7 speed rear-set fitted as we speak - will it all work? We shall see.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
There you go! Sometimes you just have to study the thing and then it becomes obvious how it all works - but this does mean you have to look real carefully. Good for you.

I'm having my 11t-28T 7 speed rear-set fitted as we speak - will it all work? We shall see.
Speaking of which, it really surprises me how with so many 6 speeds out there, there is so little choice of rear sets. They all seem to be 14T's, as if to limit the top speed for the lower end spec machines. You would have thought some maveric manufacturer would have recognized this obvious gap in the market. That said, its possible only pedelec's would want rear sets starting 12T or 11T.

I look forward to your experiments with the 11-28T, i've read you may need matching chain and derailer too. BTW - silly question, but is it a freewheel or cassette, and if freeewheel how do you confirm the right thread type?

Cogset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crankset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- have you thought of a chainguide for the larger chainring?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3NeXAsk-oo&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Last edited:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Speaking of which, it really surprises me how with so many 6 speeds out there, there is so little choice of rear sets. They all seem to be 14T's, as if to limit the top speed for the lower end spec machines. You would have thought some maveric manufacturer would have recognized this obvious gap in the market. That said, its possible only pedelec's would want rear sets starting 12T or 11T.

I look forward to your experiments with the 11-28T, i've read you may need matching chain and derailer too. BTW - silly question, but is it a freewheel or cassette, and if freeewheel how do you confirm the right thread type?

Cogset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crankset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- have you thought of a chainguide for the larger chainring?
E Bike Fitting a 7 speed Rear Cluster to the motor Part3 of 3.AVI - YouTube
Right - the 11-28T rearset is on - I put the original 42T back on the front and..... it works brilliantly!

No need for a new chain or new deraillier just a new 7 speed changer - I got a local shop to fit the rear freewheel cog-set (he made a fuss saying he needed to make a tool but in the end did it for £20) - I fitted the 7 speed change myself. I find its now perfectly geared.

No idea about thread type - just go with a schimano compatible freewheel rear gearset - somebody from here also sent a link on where you can get them - but I got mine from the US.

End product though is great - and of course with the original 42T chainring back on the chain no longer comes off at all - with the 50T I had put on it was coming off all the time.

Ryan if you're listening (the guy who imports these bikes) - this is the answer to your problem!

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
This is where you can get an 11-32T freewheel from within the UK.

Or go to USA ebay where I got mine here. - or if they're out it looks like they have them here too
Great!! Just sent a request to the first link for payment via paypal.

I'm assuming there was no problems with the motor when fitting this, or did you need to tinker with the motor cables to fit this?

As for the changer, would the 6 speed changer still work for the first six gears?

Last edited:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Great!! Just sent a request to the first link for payment via paypal.

I'm assuming there was no problems with the motor when fitting this, or did you need to tinker with the motor cables to fit this?

As for the changer, would the 6 speed changer still work for the first six gears?
You have to open up the control box - you'll find the wire from the motor (which you have to disconnect) has 8 inner wires. Three of these inner wires come with connectors so those are easy you just pull them apart - the other 5 have soldered connections so I cut them after labelling the colour of two of them (the green and the blue looked very similar so I labelled them to be on the safe side) - then you can separate out the wire completely which you need to do to take the back wheel completely out when you put the new freewheel on there - when putting them back together I just re-soldered them back as they were.

Re the changer they dont cost that much - I got mine here. I dont know if the 6 speed would still work the first 6 gears - it might. Fitting the 7 speed changer was dead easy - you do have to remove the throttle and brake assembly off the handlebars - but thats straightforward - and the new 7 speed fits on and uses all the old cable outers all you have to do is connect it up adjust it and cut the slack off the end.

The only bit I was not so keen on doing myself was fitting the actual freewheel - so off to my local shop once I'd taken the back wheel completely out and just gave them the wheel and let them worry about that. When I put the wheel back in I only used one spacer on each side - that seemed to work.

Anyhow - like I said - for me the gearing is now perfect - though I think I will test it out with a 44 or maybe 46 chainring just to see - but the original 42T in top gear seems pretty good.

Good luck.

Brakers

Just Joined
Jul 11, 2012
Hello there
I'm new on this forum and I'm in the market for a E-bike and although I like the look of the bike on E-bay by the time you've changed the gears etc won't you be better purchacing something like the Kudos King which seems to be and meet most of what people want except for the extra speed that Oxygenjames talks about with a wink and also nearly three hundred pounds more.
Best Wishes Tony B.