Burisch offroad electric bike, new for £649 on ebay

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I think that's a serious contender and one of the best bikes I've seen for value.. 20.5kg including battery is very impressive for a full size bike.. although some might say 9Ah is not enough power or borderline..(but since the battery only weights 2.2kg you can always buy a 2nd to extend range). I think they have achieved a very discrete design though with the bottle battery and it doesn't look electric even at first glance.. great job, they're definitely tuned into what buyers want I think.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
What I am curious to find out - and I have emailed Ryan with this question - does the 7 speed have a 14 or 11 tooth cog as top gear (if its 14 then thats no good) - and what chainwheel cog is he selling it with now (on mine the final combination that worked from any practical standpoint was an 11 tooth rear top gear and a 45T chainwheel).

Not heard back yet - we shall see!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
What I am curious to find out - and I have emailed Ryan with this question - does the 7 speed have a 14 or 11 tooth cog as top gear (if its 14 then thats no good) - and what chainwheel cog is he selling it with now (on mine the final combination that worked from any practical standpoint was an 11 tooth rear top gear and a 45T chainwheel).

Not heard back yet - we shall see!
Interesting question James and good point about the gearing..I agree anything less than 11T is useless if you want to pedal at high power.. I have a 11T and 52T chainwheel combo on my Mezzo.

I asked them and will post back, from the pics it looks like 14T. Being able to use a cassette certainly makes it easier and cheaper though to change gearing? That chainwheel doesn't look big enough though.

Last edited:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Interesting question James and good point about the gearing..I agree anything less than 11T is useless if you want to pedal at high power.. I have a 11T and 52T chainwheel combo on my Mezzo.

I asked them and will post back, from the pics it looks like 14T. Being able to use a cassette certainly makes it easier and cheaper though to change gearing? That chainwheel doesn't look big enough though.
"- New 7 speed rear gear cassette and 7-speed shifter, for better cadence"

I think its almost certain from the statement above, that the new gears will starts lower than 14t, and i can't see a problem with them sourcing 11t.

Also the ebay link says the pics are for the 2012 version, and therefore wont show the 2013 'upgrades'. Speaking of which, i am seriously tempted now to fit rare discs brakes, but i don't have a clue on what's involved. Would this entail new rare wheels, or is there a simple way to adapt the existing wheel to discs?

Upgrades, don't you just love em.

D

Deleted member 4366

Have a look at your motor on the oposite side to the gears. Does it have 6 screws in a circle with diameter about 50mm?

Yes. You buy a disk brake caliper and disk; remove the back wheel; screw on the disk; bolt the caliper to the frame mounts; connect the cable; reassemble the wheel.

No. You need a new motor, disk and caliper.

From the photos, the answer is no.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Have a look at your motor on the oposite side to the gears. Does it have 6 screws in a circle with diameter about 50mm?

Yes. You buy a disk brake caliper and disk; remove the back wheel; screw on the disk; bolt the caliper to the frame mounts; connect the cable; reassemble the wheel.

No. You need a new motor, disk and caliper.

From the photos, the answer is no.

After i posted the question, i did some research, as you do. It doesn't have the circle of 6 screws you mention, however the motor does have an unused screw thread, I'm not sure on the size. But as you'll see in the photos, it is right where you would mount the disc caliper. It might also need some form of spacer to work.

I also found a disc which i think might work if the thread size matches. Now is it, or is it not 34mm?

rear wheel thread2.jpgthread disc.jpg

Last edited:

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Well Ryan got back to me and he has indeed put an 11 tooth top gear cog on the back - and he's sticking with the 42 chainwheel. So thats pretty good.

It's the 11T rear that makes most of the difference of course - I still think it would be better with a 44T or 45T chainwheel - but I guess people can play around with that themselves - the most important thing is that rear cog - which was a bit of a pain when I had to change it myself on mine.

Maybe I'll get another one as a back up.......

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Rear cassette is 11-28T and front chainwheel is 42T.

That's a good gear range, same as what I'm fitting to my Mezzo (the original is 11-26 which I would have preferred, but that's closest I can get for a freewheel).

I agree with James, 42T is too small, 44T would be better..the chainwheel on my Mezzo is 52T but then it has 16" wheels... and some some wheel bikers (like flecc) even like to go bigger! But this is a 26" wheel bike so maybe it works ok?

Last edited:

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
After i posted the question, i did some research, as you do. It doesn't have the circle of 6 screws you mention, however the motor does have an unused screw thread, I'm not sure on the size. But as you'll see in the photos, it is right where you would mount the disc caliper. It might also need some form of spacer to work.

I also found a disc which i think might work if the thread size matches. Now is it, or is it not 34mm?

View attachment 4498
Just a quick word on the rear disc mounts. I decided to take a punt on the following::
Bicycle brake disc rotor 160MM with 6 bolts & Wheel Mount | eBay

It arrived the next day and was a perfect fit for the existing motor thread. Worth it for the screw on wheel mount alone, which is described as having an internal diameter of 37mm and is therefore [probably] not to be confused with 34mm you might see elsewhere.

I've now got manual rear disc calipers ordered [160mm], i just hope my installed pannier doesn't interfere with the caliper fittings. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2008
I just bought one of these but made the rather silly mistake of not realising that they are limited to only 6mph in throttle only mode which is a bit gutting as I use throttle only most of the time. I have had an elecctric bike for 4 years which I use every day and that did 15mph throttle only so I assumed this would be the same but having read up on the law I think this bike has to conform to EU law cos of it's 250W motor and so throttle only is not allowed, whereas my old bike is conformed to UK law where throttle only is allowed. So for those not up on these things like me be aware of this issue as it's not made clear in the spiel about the bike on ebay or their site. So for now my lovely sexy new bike sits in the garage unused while my four year old battered £400 folder gets to fight another day until I can afford to get the controller changed on the Burisch.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
eddie thanks for heads up on that,i was thinking of buying one ,like you i like to use throttle was wondering if ku 123 would work[as i have one spare i would use] maybee some tech guys on forum might know.

D

Deleted member 4366

The KU 123 is set at about 32amps, which would melt that motor if you could get that much current from the battery, which struggles to provide enough current with the standard controller, so I'd guess that the power would cut every time you opened up the throttle. I'd get the KU65 from BMSBattery, which will give you three levels of pedal assist as well as an independent throttle - about £20 to £25 with postage.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I just bought one of these but made the rather silly mistake of not realising that they are limited to only 6mph in throttle only mode which is a bit gutting as I use throttle only most of the time. I have had an elecctric bike for 4 years which I use every day and that did 15mph throttle only so I assumed this would be the same but having read up on the law I think this bike has to conform to EU law cos of it's 250W motor and so throttle only is not allowed, whereas my old bike is conformed to UK law where throttle only is allowed. So for those not up on these things like me be aware of this issue as it's not made clear in the spiel about the bike on ebay or their site. So for now my lovely sexy new bike sits in the garage unused while my four year old battered £400 folder gets to fight another day until I can afford to get the controller changed on the Burisch.

Are you sure we are talking of the same bike? This bike new, can be used at its full 15mph speed in throttle only mode, a bit faster with the restriction disabled. I am referring to the 2012 model. You'll find glowing reviews from others on this thread which makes no mention of a limited 6mph on throttle.

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
d8veh thanks for that info ps if looking for place to go at easter in camper van try here ,great cycleing area, [would also be able to pick your brains ha ha]

Fast Eddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2008
Are you sure we are talking of the same bike? This bike new, can be used at its full 15mph speed in throttle only mode, a bit faster with the restriction disabled. I am referring to the 2012 model. You'll find glowing reviews from others on this thread which makes no mention of a limited 6mph on throttle.
I bought the new upgraded model last week, the Burisch medium frame 250GT. After first use I called them to tell them there was a problem with throttle only mode and a couple of days later was told that this is how it is set up and is intentionally so. I questioned it again to the woman on the phone who then sent me a long email quoting EU law etc. and stating again that it was limited in throttle only mode to 6 kph. Here is the entire email copied and pasted

HI Edward

I thought it easier to send the information over in an email so please give me a call if you have any further queries.

The bike is advertised as EN15194, and as such complies with this.

UK law / EN15194 requires:
Pedal assist mode is limited to 15mph.
Throttle only is limited to 6km/h -or- 4mph.

If someone has, or purchases an ebike or pedelec which goes 15mph on throttle alone, then it is illegal to operate on UK roads without licensing and testing, helmet etc.

Here are two links to references to the throttle mode law in the UK:

1. Electric Bikes And The Law - BikeRadar

2. See: 'Throttle control' heading
Electric bikes and the Law

Pedelecs are made to be pedal assisted, not operated by throttle alone - bikes operating by throttle alone are classified as electric scooters and would have no need for pedals.

That being said, we can have a upgraded controller installed into the bike for £29.95 (for the controller) and £24.99 for the labour. Postage costs to and fro would be an additional £39.40 - or it can be dropped off at our Luton premises - and perhaps even done whilst you wait (takes about 1.5 hours).
This controller would be limited to 23mph pedal assist mode and around 15mph throttle only mode.
It would be illegal to operate on UK laws and we'd take no responsibility for any legal issues that would arise from operating this modified bike on public roads.

If you are still unsatisfied with your purchase, you can return for a refund, however will be liable for a 8% surcharge if its out of the 7 day return window. Preturn postage to us would be at buyer's expense, and only when it arrives in unused and good, saleable condition with original packaging would the refund take place.

I hope this helps.
Sadly I don't really have the funds to fork out the best part of another hundred quid yet for the new controller and I lack the knowledge to derestrict it myself so hope my old bike carries on for while longer until I can sort something out as I do like the feel and looks of the Burisch a lot.

Last edited:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
For the future It would be recommended for prospective buyers to ask dealers if the throttle supplied is a full throttle, as i expect some dealers are not likely to disclose unless asked, that the throttles are LIMITED(4mph) to comply with EN15194 which is EU Law, not UK law at this moment in time, as far as I understand. Please correct if I am wrong on that ?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For the future It would be recommended for prospective buyers to ask all dealers if it has a FULLY active throttle, as i expect some dealers are not likely to disclose that the throttles are limited to comply with EN15194 which is EU Law, not UK law at this moment in time, as far as I understand. Please correct if I am wrong on that ?
It is EU law, but the situation is complicated since most of our e-bikes are 250 watt rated, only legal under EU law. Therefore an argument that 250 watts is ok in the UK can only have any validity if the e-bike conforms to all the EU law. Britain has an equivalent walk alongside throttle law for pedestrian controlled vehicles, the limit being 4 mph.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I bought the new upgraded model last week, the Burisch medium frame 250GT. After first use I called them to tell them there was a problem with throttle only mode and a couple of days later was told that this is how it is set up and is intentionally so. I questioned it again to the woman on the phone who then sent me a long email quoting EU law etc. and stating again that it was limited in throttle only mode to 6 kph. Here is the entire email copied and pasted

Sadly I don't really have the funds to fork out the best part of another hundred quid yet for the new controller and I lack the knowledge to derestrict it myself so hope my old bike carries on for while longer until I can sort something out as I do like the feel and looks of the Burisch a lot.
Sometimes the speed limiter is simply a matter of connecting (or disconnecting) one wire loop coming from the controller. I guess it depends what controller that bike uses..but it may be a trivial matter for you to de-restrict it, worth checking. The company may volunteer that info if you say it's for "off-road" purposes ;-)

I would assume this restriction is so they can sell the bike right across EU region, but it's not necessary for UK (at least at this point in time) is it, as far as I know? In which case, why doesn't the company provide simple re-restricted throttle option on ordering for UK customers, or at least instructions on how to restrict it, unless it is "hard wired" inside the controller.. hmm

Last edited:

john h

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 22, 2012
murthly castle estate
was thinking along same lines morphix . i live in scottish countryside can easly go to town [perth] through woods and paths never near roads ,would like to see inside controler,might well be posible.