Brexit, for once some facts.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Old Tom.....there is a photo doing the rounds of the EU Brexit negotiating team facing the UK Brexit negotiating team in Brussels. The EU have notes in front of them ,the UK have nothing.
The photo just lends itself to your photoshop additions.
KudosDave

Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Old Tom.....there is a photo doing the rounds of the EU Brexit negotiating team facing the UK Brexit negotiating team in Brussels. The EU have notes in front of them ,the UK have nothing.
KudosDave
We have to be careful.
The EU may have the room bugged and we don't want them to know our secret positions.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We have to be careful.
The EU may have the room bugged and we don't want them to know our secret positions.
It is said that Davis only spent one hour in the room and left it to his junior officials...he wont be back until Thursday, immediately before the next briefing,it shows how little importance Davis places on these negotiations,or maybe he left his notes in London?
Do these people fly back and forth by private jet???
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It is said that Davis only spent one hour in the room and left it to his junior officials...
David Davis plays the mind game.
May the force be with him.

Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is said that Davis only spent one hour in the room and left it to his junior officials...he wont be back until Thursday, immediately before the next briefing,it shows how little importance Davis places on these negotiations,or maybe he left his notes in London?
Do these people fly back and forth by private jet???
KudosDave
Sometimes by RAF executive jet from Northolt, but very often by Eurostar.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We have to be careful.
.. there is a scene in the airplane movie, where the air traffic controller asks the Lloyd bridges character .". The plane is coming in, shall I turn on the landing strip lights?". The immediate response ." . no, they will be expecting that "

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
KudosDave
You don't need notes if your answer is THANK YOU

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
KudosDave
I take it that these are not high denomination euro notes?, Or have we missed the negotiations...

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This from the Guardian.
"
There was no lunch for Davis at all. He left the commission around noon, as the technical work began. Both sides split into teams to discuss three aspects of the divorce treaty: citizens’ rights, money and a sprawling range of topics known as “other separation issues”. This last set of issues covers any unfinished business on Brexit day, from pending British cases at the European court of justice to product rules for goods in warehouses.

This is the mind-numbing reality of “taking back control”: tuition fees for Latvian students, European civil service pensions, British liability for building motorways in Poland, shipment rules for a crate of cheddar cheese on Brexit day. All will have to be resolved before the UK can even begin to talk about trade, police co-operation, foreign policy, security, data-protection ... This is only the beginning.

No wonder British diplomats warned before the referendum that parliament would be snarled up for a decade with the great Brexit unscrambling. In reality, Davis and his team have plenty of words on paper. Nothing has dislodged the impression that the UK is woefully underprepared for the enormous task ahead"

So why did he leave the meeting? What is he actually doing?

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
David Davis plays the mind game.
May the force be with him.
He seems more likely to be playing the Cameron and Boris Game, absenting himself before any serious work is done, and hoping to slip back in time to take the credit.

Once he realised there was no Free lunch , he skipped class and came home.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A smile from the Independent
"
David Davis is as 'thick as mince' and as 'lazy as a toad', says Vote Leave chief
Dominic Cummings has admitted Brexit could turn out to be an ‘error’

The Vote Leave director has now said that Mr Davis “spent the campaign boozing with [Nigel] Farage, predicting defeat and briefing [against] Vote Leave” and was involved in the “single crappest TV news for Leave of entire campaign”, when Grassroots Out unveiled George Galloway as a supporter.
On the photograph of Mr Davis at the negotiating table, Liberal Democrat Brexit spokesperson Tom Brake said: “We have less than twenty months of Brexit talks left, yet David Davis has skulked back to the UK after just half a day.

“He didn’t have any position papers with him because this Government has no agreed Brexit position.

“This is a government with no papers, no plan and no time for the most important negotiations of a lifetime.

“They are meant to be negotiating Brexit but they can’t even negotiate among themselves.”

I love it when the Brexit Plotters display their finest qualities, even Guy Fawkes only wanted to blow up the House of Commons, these people want to ruin the entire nation.
They are enemies of all of us.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Times like these remind me that histrocally Athens, one of the earliest of the Greek states to experiment with democracy had a particular innovation which while it never caught on, would certainly help us in these dark days where we appear to be at the mercy of Politicans of all parties who are in fact either not interested in the welfare of the public, or worse actively work against it
This from Encyclopedia Britannica
"Ostracism, political practice in ancient Athens whereby a prominent citizen who threatened the stability of the state could be banished without bringing any charge against him. (A similar device existed at various times in Argos, Miletus, Syracuse, and Megara.) At a fixed meeting in midwinter, the people decided, without debate, whether they would hold a vote on ostracism (ostrakophoria) some weeks later. Any citizen entitled to vote in the assembly could write another citizen’s name down, and, when a sufficiently large number wrote the same name, the ostracized man had to leave Attica within 10 days and stay away for 10 years. He remained owner of his property."

My suggestion is that we revive this interesting idea in two ways
  1. Have an annually run fixed date when names of Political candidates for ostracism should be tendered, Xmas perhaps?
  2. Have additional tick boxes on Election slips "This candidate is unfit for public office and should be ostracised.
That's what taking back control means to me!
And I suspect it would transform voter turnout levels at Election Times.:D

Ah well I must be having one of my "turns" I had a brief vision of Father saying to me
"Interesting idea Lad, but perhaps you had better leave thinking to the qualified"

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"Ostracism, political practice in ancient Athens whereby a prominent citizen who threatened the stability of the state could be banished without bringing any charge against him.
we already have a similar system. We send them to the HoL.

Reactions: flecc

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
We need another Oliver Cromwell.

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.

Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?

Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone! So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors.

In the name of God, go!

Advertisers