Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
They are as ever self-serving. If they vote against Brexit, everything that goes wrong with the economy subsequently could and often would be blamed on them.

On the other hand, a failed economy after Brexit would be the public's fault for that decision.
Only in the Politicians view, the Public will want scapegoats from among their ranks, they won't blame themselves
"We have been betrayed! " will be the cry.
If the can't see that coming they are stupid.

Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Time to eat some humble pie...
I was originally a leaver, then I was sort of unsure.....think the whole damn thing should be stopped now.
I still think intrinsically Brexit is ( or could be ) an opportunity, if the government had had a plan for it , with some notion of where to go and how to get there. They have neither. They are, and have been clueless from the start. Brexit was offered with not a notion of how to deliver it.
The negotiations are anything but, they are simply a dialogue of explaining the planning EU went to to prevent folk leaving.
The whole thing has caused division, resentment, argument and conflict. Time to stop it. Its become a farce, intensified by lack of any opposition from labour. ( but to be fair they are starting at least to offer some opposition)

I,d support a second referendum and now vote stay...there admitted it. OG you were right. My sincerest apologies..I know nowt.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only in the Politicians view, the Public will want scapegoats from among their ranks, they won't blame themselves
"We have been betrayed! " will be the cry.
If the can't see that coming they are stupid.
The politicians overwhelmingly were on the side of Remain, so if Brexit produces a failed economy, most of the individual politicians can show they were undeniably in the right.

Public venom will have to be confined to the minority of politicians who fought for Brexit, people like Boris Johnson and Andrea Leadsom. They can't blame the parties for doing what they the public voted for.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The politicians overwhelmingly were on the side of Remain, so if Brexit produces a failed economy, most of the individual politicians can show they were undeniably in the right.

Public venom will have to be confined to the minority of politicians who fought for Brexit, people like Boris Johnson and Andrea Leadsom. They can't blame the parties for doing what they the public voted for.
Hope so...if we were in France we' d be greasing the guillotine slides!!!
KudosDave

• :D
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I was originally a leaver, then I was sort of unsure.....think the whole damn thing should be stopped now.
I still think intrinsically Brexit is ( or could be ) an opportunity, if the government had had a plan for it , with some notion of where to go and how to get there. They have neither. They are, and have been clueless from the start. Brexit was offered with not a notion of how to deliver it.
The negotiations are anything but, they are simply a dialogue of explaining the planning EU went to to prevent folk leaving.
The whole thing has caused division, resentment, argument and conflict. Time to stop it. Its become a farce, intensified by lack of any opposition from labour. ( but to be fair they are starting at least to offer some opposition)

I,d support a second referendum and now vote stay...there admitted it. OG you were right. My sincerest apologies..I know nowt.
Well done Zlatan, the true test of a man is if he can accept that things have changed and adapt to it, You do not need to apologise for a belief sincerely held, and you certainly know rather more than most people, I enjoyed our little debates in the past, and no doubt there will be future ones too.
We all want what we believe is best for the country and people after all.

The misfortune of Brexit is that it was rather like the public being given Alladin's Magic lamp, and promises of Paradise to come, with the caveat that you only get one wish.
And then finding the Genie was on Crystal Meth.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com

The biggest con is from Liam Fox and Theresa May....they both went on a tour of prospective new free trade countries and must have come back with the realisation that such trade had so much bias towards the partner country that they quickly ditched such deals but kept Fox's dept going as a smokescreen.
The Chinese would destroy our inefficient industries if we had an open door to their products. Even the smaller companies have the latest machine tools and robotics,finance never seems to be an obstacle,our governments attitude to supporting,should I say milking our manufacturers, is in contrast to the support available in China.
As an ex Leaver turned Remainer do you find it frustrating that we don't seem have any political leadership which is even considering the current 'will of the people',in fact both May and Corbyn are doing their best to keep the people away from any decision,
Tony Blair nailed it very succinctly,it's a shame he is the messenger with all his toxic baggage,he is a very eloquent speaker and someone like him would be messiah taking us out of this mess.
KudosDave

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
T
The biggest con is from Liam Fox and Theresa May....they both went on a tour of prospective new free trade countries and must have come back with the realisation that such trade had so much bias towards the partner country that they quickly ditched such deals but kept Fox's dept going as a smokescreen.
The Chinese would destroy our inefficient industries if we had an open door to their products. Even the smaller companies have the latest machine tools and robotics,finance never seems to be an obstacle,our governments attitude to supporting,should I say milking our manufacturers, is in contrast to the support available in China.
As an ex Leaver turned Remainer do you find it frustrating that we don't seem have any political leadership which is even considering the current 'will of the people',in fact both May and Corbyn are doing their best to keep the people away from any decision,
Tony Blair nailed it very succinctly,it's a shame he is the messenger with all his toxic baggage,he is a very eloquent speaker and someone like him would be messiah taking us out of this mess.
KudosDave
I definitely do, been saying for a while the remain contingent ( which must be at least 50% of voters now) are simply not represented. Even whilst supporting leave I thought it wrong such a large ( and probably growing) proportion of electorate have nobody expressing their views either in government or in opposition. Corbyn and Labour ( IMHO) are duty bound to represent remainers. Its simply wrong that all these people are actually being ignored.
Yes we all know 52% voted to leave but nobody has had a voice for the " remainder".
Yes the government ignore that 52% at their peril but surely the opposition ignore the 48% at theirs. Its why we are in such a mess. I just wonder what game Corbyn is playing, perhaps he is being clever...but perhhaps he missed his golden moment.?

Your point re Blair is spot on, but something is worrying that man. I have never seen anyone age so quickly. He looked haggard and unwell today, quite the opposite of his past image.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This from Reuters is significant
"
The UK’s Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) struck a sour note this week when it warned that there were “nasty fiscal surprises” ahead. In its Fiscal Risks Report, the spending watchdog barked a warning to the government that considerable clouds are looming.

The OBR has undertaken a “stress test” of the public finances to model the effects of an economic downturn. The result? A resounding fail. Describing the potential fiscal effects as “severe,” the OBR warned that the deficit would rapidly rise in the event of a recession.

And Brexit could well make things worse. The OBR noted that even a small drop-off in economic activity could have a big impact on the public purse. In comparison with a fall in Britain’s underlying growth rate caused by reduced European trade, any “divorce bill” paid to the European Union (EU) would pale into insignificance.

All of this comes at a time when “austerity fatigue” is all too evident in the UK – and increasingly acknowledged by politicians. But the OBR warned that “unfunded “giveaways” would “only add to the longer-term challenges.”

No prizes for guessing what that means, but try anyway!

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
T

I definitely do, been saying for a while the remain contingent ( which must be at least 50% of voters now) are simply not represented. Even whilst supporting leave I thought it wrong such a large ( and probably growing) proportion of electorate have nobody expressing their views either in government or in opposition. Corbyn and Labour ( IMHO) are duty bound to represent remainers. Its simply wrong that all these people are actually being ignored.
Yes we all know 52% voted to leave but nobody has had a voice for the " remainder".
Yes the government ignore that 52% at their peril but surely the opposition ignore the 48% at theirs. Its why we are in such a mess. I just wonder what game Corbyn is playing, perhaps he is being clever...but perhhaps he missed his golden moment.?

Your point re Blair is spot on, but something is worrying that man. I have never seen anyone age so quickly. He looked haggard and unwell today, quite the opposite of his past image.
What '5-times' Blair looking old !!!!!!
KudosDave

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Unbelievably biased reporting about Merril Lynch ( American Bank and Investment managers) from Mail today.
They reported ( accurately) that ML have given a warning on the fragility of Euro zone,s economy with special regard to wealth distribution ( Their point being little has been done to redress the imbalance between EU,s wealthy nations and their poor ones. ) Mail completely ignored ML's more stringent warning about handling Brexit. Their point on this was; handling Brexit is like handling nuclear waste. If its done carefully, slowly with lots of patience and care it should be reasonably safe. Their point was none of these qualities were being utilised..a point completely missed by Mail.They also went on to say if Brexit wasn't handled well the consequences could be catastrophic for the entire EU zone. Again...missed by mail.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Idea: how about trying austerity for the rich? It isn't working for the poor...

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Taking back control
"
Royal Navy's new £3.5b aircraft carrier will be forced to rely on French protection
BRITAIN’S new aircraft carrier will be forced to rely on French frigates to protect it from attack, the Ministry of Defence confirmed yesterday.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Daily Mail Headlines get more desperate by the day This Hateful "Johnny Foreigner " propaganda is despicable, of course the French want the Business, if the idiots at the Mail hadn't shouted and screamed for Brexit it wouldn't be going in their direction would it?
"
Revealed: City of London accuses France of plot to ‘wreck Britain’ – even if it gains nothing itself
  • A leaked memo says French bankers are plotting to 'actively disrupt' the City
  • The London financial centre is worth £66 billion a year to the Treasury
  • The City's Brexit envoy says Macron has declared 'open war' on the Square Mile

• French representatives are now offering firms big money to move to Paris

• Agree
  • Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Taking back control
"
Royal Navy's new £3.5b aircraft carrier will be forced to rely on French protection
BRITAIN’S new aircraft carrier will be forced to rely on French frigates to protect it from attack, the Ministry of Defence confirmed yesterday.
But... But France is in the EU! Oh deary me o_O more complications ahead.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The Daily Mail Headlines get more desperate by the day This Hateful "Johnny Foreigner " propaganda is despicable, of course the French want the Business, if the idiots at the Mail hadn't shouted and screamed for Brexit it wouldn't be going in their direction would it?
"
Revealed: City of London accuses France of plot to ‘wreck Britain’ – even if it gains nothing itself
  • A leaked memo says French bankers are plotting to 'actively disrupt' the City
  • The London financial centre is worth £66 billion a year to the Treasury
  • The City's Brexit envoy says Macron has declared 'open war' on the Square Mile

• French representatives are now offering firms big money to move to Paris
Oh! The naughty men! Wrecking Britain just when you were doing such a good job all by yourselves! Bloody French, never trusted them! All that smelly garlic and cheese, they don't even make decent beer!

In the EU there are rules on financial incentives, anything beyond would be corruption. So you could drag them in front of the ECJ. Oh... hold on... wait a minute... :eek:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well, when you're long on arrogance and short on humility........

Tom

Advertisers