Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No OG you are not reading my posts as intended. Intrinsically ECJ is great and says and attempts to do all the correct idealistic things but if govenments so wish their wishes are simply over ruled by national rulings.( as my quote made clear)
I have nothing against ECJ or the Delai Lama or Ghandi...all have marvellous ideals and similar control over our country...but we don't pay Ghandi to do a job our government does.
Our Government agreed first of all to abide by the rules then decided it wanted a cop out.
Blame them not the ECJ

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Will that be in October 21st? :p

MS.
this year, that will be 15-17 Sept, La Courneuve, Paris. My daughter lives in Paris, so kind of killing 2 birds with one stone.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I very much doubt that. It's may SEEM as complicated as landing on the moon to those idiots, but so would sharpening a pencil.
Good analogy, back in the day of the moon landing a lot of calculations were done with a pencil on the backs of enveloppes. "While Nasa was at the bleeding edge, the 60s was a time when chemists still relied on logarithm tables, and engineers carried slide rules." (source https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/jul/02/apollo-11-moon-technology-engineering)

Ah, the good old days, and thanks to brexit you are going back to that golden age! Lucky you!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Good analogy, back in the day of the moon landing a lot of calculations were done with a pencil on the backs of enveloppes. "While Nasa was at the bleeding edge, the 60s was a time when chemists still relied on logarithm tables, and engineers carried slide rules." (source https://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/jul/02/apollo-11-moon-technology-engineering)

Ah, the good old days, and thanks to brexit you are going back to that golden age! Lucky you!
BREXIT may mean many things, but it won't un-invent the computer.

With regard to doing calculations on the backs of envelopes, rumour has it that the reason this government passed legislation banning branding on fag packets was so they would have more space to work out their BREXIT plans.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From Reuters
"
Theresa May's Brexit red lines leave UK negotiator 'hamstrung' - ex-adviser"

Someone is trying to avoid being held responsible when he deliberately fails here methinks!

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
BREXIT may mean many things, but it won't un-invent the computer.

With regard to doing calculations on the backs of envelopes, rumour has it that the reason this government passed legislation banning branding on fag packets was so they would have more space to work out heir BREXIT plans.
The secrecy over which is so great they don't even reveal any detail at the Brexit Negotiations, which has thrown a spanner in the works of the EU negotiators.
All their Dastardly Cunning plans have come to nought.

You simply cannot argue with someone who refuses to tell you what they want, because they don't actually know what that is.

So there!
Brittania Waives the Rules.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just a little comedy to lighten the day.
Newspapers Pride themselves on truth and Accuracy, this on today's Sun front page
The story concerned a woman who left two underaged children at home for two days while she flew to Paris to meet a man she contacted online

Readers can rest assured the paper is always truthful and accurate
Mind you I don't suppose many noticed that the distance seems to have shrunk from 600 Km (378miles)

Only one reader's comment mentioned the distance, here it is

"dana brody
Slapper. We know what she went for. Desperate, or what!

It's not 110 miles from Manc to Paris. It's 200 years, at least."

And she got five ticks for that!

• :D
  • Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Our Government agreed first of all to abide by the rules then decided it wanted a cop out.
Blame them not the ECJ
Well I,m pretty sure we could find plenty more clubs to join,pay yearly membership and then completely ignore their stupid rules...
Its like joining an expensive Golf Club, never playing at it, putting 2 fingers up to club secretary...going to all its stupid meetings and paying membership. Cant really see point in that OG...
Either abide by rules or save money and get out...
Your mate Groucho would have a field day on that one...
"I,m not joining any club that would have me as a member" ( Sort of works)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well I,m pretty sure we could find plenty more clubs to join,pay yearly membership and then completely ignore their stupid rules...
Its like joining an expensive Golf Club, never playing at it, putting 2 fingers up to club secretary...going to all its stupid meetings and paying membership. Cant really see point in that OG...
Either abide by rules or save money and get out...
And quite clearly you prefer the second option.

Rather than behaving like an adult and joining in rather than ripping off the benefits of the club and giving something back to benefit the other members,
And this line
"I,m not joining any club that would have me as a member" ( Sort of works)"
With the attitude you just expressed it certainly would to you!

Not a Tory eh?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And quite clearly you prefer the second option.

Rather than behaving like an adult and joining in rather than ripping off the benefits of the club and giving something back to benefit the other members,
And this line
"I,m not joining any club that would have me as a member" ( Sort of works)"
With the attitude you just expressed it certainly would to you!

Not a Tory eh?
I voted Labour , which was a waste of time on 2 accounts.
1) The biggy. They lost.

And 2 . Like I keep repeating
They have exact same policy on Brexit. ( well so we believe, who knows with JC)
I used my democratic right of protest by voting. Whittering and whining in here makes not a jot of difference, but then again neither did voting for labour.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
An Observer Poll.....60% of Brits want to retain EU citizenship,85% of 18-24 year olds and 80% of Londoners.
Davis is complaining that May's red lines,especially the ECJ,is shackling his ability to do a deal with the EU.....ie she won't let him give in on another facet of the negotiations.
The DUP aftermath slippery slope has started....Corbyn is gaining confidence resulting in the Tories having to scrap austerity and giving in to student fees (Reference Damian Green). It won't be long before the nurses,police,fire,teachers etc will realise that the Tories are weak and time for a new pay deal.
Hammond is pushing for a very soft Brexit because he sees all the costs rising and Brexit destroying the tax take. But May is still being pushed by the Tory 'bastards' ,the Rees-Mugs and Bones,for the hardest of Brexit so they can get their power back,even if the country goes to pot.
That's not a split in the Tories ,it's a bl.......y great chasm.
Are 52% still keen on Brexit? I doubt it?
We didn't vote for Brexit to make us poorer,did we?
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and oldtom

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I voted Labour , which was a waste of time on 2 accounts.
1) The biggy. They lost.

And 2 . Like I keep repeating
They have exact same policy on Brexit. ( well so we believe, who knows with JC)
I used my democratic right of protest by voting. Whittering and whining in here makes not a jot of difference, but then again neither did voting for labour.
I can see Corbyn doing a U-turn on Brexit,he needs to wait until he is sure that his anti austerity position will be more of a vote winner than the pro Brexit position. Many of his party are already halfway there,It would be an easy change to soft Brexit or maybe no Brexit,the Tories would not find it so easy to do a U-turn because May has moved so far to the right to harness the UKIP vote.....remember UKIP?????
KudosDave

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
An Observer Poll.....60% of Brits want to retain EU citizenship,85% of 18-24 year olds and 80% of Londoners.
Davis is complaining that May's red lines,especially the ECJ,is shackling his ability to do a deal with the EU.....ie she won't let him give in on another facet of the negotiations.
The DUP aftermath slippery slope has started....Corbyn is gaining confidence resulting in the Tories having to scrap austerity and giving in to student fees (Reference Damian Green). It won't be long before the nurses,police,fire,teachers etc will realise that the Tories are weak and time for a new pay deal.
Hammond is pushing for a very soft Brexit because he sees all the costs rising and Brexit destroying the tax take. But May is still being pushed by the Tory 'bastards' ,the Rees-Mugs and Bones,for the hardest of Brexit so they can get their power back,even if the country goes to pot.
That's not a split in the Tories ,it's a bl.......y great chasm.
Are 52% still keen on Brexit? I doubt it?
We didn't vote for Brexit to make us poorer,did we?
KudosDave
All that is even more reason why JC should be opposing the government. What is the point of being in opposition if you do not oppose. Its fundamental to our democracy. Opposition should represent the minority view, then if it turns out to be a majority view they get in power...yes I know its a simplistic model but for goodness sake will Labour please oppose the government and find the actual amount of support for Brexit ( or lack of it)

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
All that is even more reason why JC should be opposing the government. What is the point of being in opposition if you do not oppose. Its fundamental to our democracy. Opposition should represent the minority view, then if it turns out to be a majority view they get in power...yes I know its a simplistic model but for goodness sake will Labour please oppose the government and find the actual amount of support for Brexit ( or lack of it)
It's all about timing. Corbyn needed to support Brexit during the recent GE otherwise he would have lost the latent UKIP vote,mainly in Labour heartland in the north.
These people have short memories,give it a few months and Brexit will be last years vote and austerity will be this years.
Corbyn doesn't want the PM job yet,Theresa May is doing a good job of wrecking her position....Brexit is a mess,NI power sharing is a problem,the DUP bribe,social care funding,Grenfell Fire and the cladding elsewhere,tuition fees,deficit growing,nurses/fire/police funding.....the list goes on. It's a tsunami waiting to engulf May,the way May keeps U-turning it's only a matter of time that she will have to jump off the sinking ship.....that will be the moment for Corbyn to be a white knight,in the meantime he is gaining in confidence.
If I was May I would put Brexit to an open vote in parliament and if it is to continue then it should be a cross party deal,it is too big a job for a hung party to negotiate.
Unfortunately Labour would wreck business so I couldn't vote for them excepting as a protest vote but not to put them in power....something like 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'
KudosDave

• Dislike
Reactions: robdon

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Why would Labour wreck business?

Surely a decent pay packet encourages people to work hard and the money goes back into the economy when people are able to afford to spend on things, the low wage economy that the Tories want helps no one.

There is also that myth that the Tories are the best party for the economy, its a blatant lie, our economy is worse under the Tories.

Advertisers