Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
At some point we ought to have a poll to see which contributor's posts are the most "Witty and Pithy"
Thus earning the soubriquet of the "official Pith artist":cool:
(No prizes for guessing my Nominee for the title)

• :D
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As a pastime it does have the element of surprise and it's not boring, this thread has more entries than the Moscow telephone directory for the collector to browse through!

Most posts are good and original with the caveat
The posts that are original aren't good
The posts that are good aren't original.
By the bye my ancestors were Clan Bell, and though it quite normal indeed Bracing to wander through minefields sans trousers.
particularly stimulating during the windier months, while out collecting cattle belonging to their neighbours that had been accidentally mislaid, and placing them under more careful ownership.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Today's press headlines display a wide variety of what their editors see as the most important messages to emblazon over their front pages.

_96623601_dailyexpress.jpg

I think you predicted exactly this kind of commentary, OG.

_96623657_ft.jpg

No FT, no comment!

_96623633_dailytelegraph2.jpg

The Torygraph ensures fear and alarm are widely spread whereas The Guardian somehow turns its attention to the further arming of our police service.

_96623635_guardian.jpg

The Mirror chooses to disseminate fear by revealing that certain fridge/freezers are deathtraps!

_96623639_dailymirror.jpg

Whereas, the Mail has decided we need a royal story at this time.....presumably in an attempt to take some heat off, (excuse the pun), the beleagured right-wing government.

_96623602_dailymail.jpg

Tom

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Today's press headlines display a wide variety of what their editors see as the most important messages to emblazon over their front pages.

View attachment 19874

I think you predicted exactly this kind of commentary, OG.

View attachment 19875

No FT, no comment!

View attachment 19876

The Torygraph ensures fear and alarm are widely spread whereas The Guardian somehow turns its attention to the further arming of our police service.

View attachment 19878

The Mirror chooses to disseminate fear by revealing that certain fridge/freezers are deathtraps!

View attachment 19879

Whereas, the Mail has decided we need a royal story at this time.....presumably in an attempt to take some heat off, (excuse the pun), the beleagured right-wing government.

View attachment 19880

Tom
No clairvoyance was needed to predict the express headline, no doubt the reaction of their readers will be just as easy to anticipate

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Who's pulling May's strings was identified by her wanting to include fox hunting in her manifesto. I don't see Hammond in hunting pink but you can see Rees-Mug and Bone getting a thrill watching a fox being torn to bits.
So what else are these fascist right wingers controlling? Obviously hard Brexit but what else?
It is ironic that these Tory right wingers and UKIP could ultimately be the cause that will get Corbyn as PM. Something about tangled webs.......hehe.
KudosDave

Reactions: robdon and flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Parliament gets hit by cyber attack.....someone worked out that the password .......MAYHEM2017.
KudosDave
You mean they have computers? I thought everything was done on velum! Someone must have turned one on by accident "No! don't touch that button!" Too late... Win95 boot screen then cryptic on screen message "U R fscked" I think that means file system check or something... :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You mean they have computers? I thought everything was done on velum!
No, vellum or parchment is what they load into their computer printers! ;)

In fact our MPs are not behind the times at all, lots of them are on tablets in the chamber tweeting during debates and smartphones proliferate.

I've even seen tablets in use in the House of Lords during sessions.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Jeremy Corbyn was on stage at Glastonbury, where it had probably the biggest audience ever, and he received a rapturous greeting. In addition his name has been sung there and elsewhere to the music of the old song "Oh Mr Porter".

He spoke effectively to the Glastonbury crowds and will have done himself a power of future good.

Theresa May must be green with envy, she's more ridiculed and despised than liked these days. With her diminished personal rating and Corbyn's ever increasing popularity I can't see the Tories hanging on to her very long now.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I thought people were joking about there being a cyber attack on the HOC Email accounts.
This is an utter disgrace.
Do you realise somebody could actually smuggle sensible ideas in?
This could bring an abrupt end to over a thousand years of reliable and sustained nonsense,
After all in the immortal words of Groucho Marx

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Introducing sensible ideas would derail the whole process.

Aren't these the people who are supposed to be protecting us from this sort of thing happening?

Lister

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2016
Norfolk
Not looked at Pedelecs for a long while.
Keep it up, always amusing to read, though whether enlightening, I'm not quite sure.

The truth is we are manipulated by the "management" as though we are fools, but the fools could bite back eventually.

My belief is that the current confusion will result in a fudged Brexit ,with most of the original important stuff for the UK remaining.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not looked at Pedelecs for a long while.
Keep it up, always amusing to read, though whether enlightening, I'm not quite sure.

The truth is we are manipulated by the "management" as though we are fools, but the fools could bite back eventually.

My belief is that the current confusion will result in a fudged Brexit ,with most of the original important stuff for the UK remaining.
Except for what really matters, having a place and influence in Europe, the rest isn't worth a Tinkers Cuss in the long term.
We have run the ship of state onto the rocks while the rest of the fleet sail away to warmer climes.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Amusing copy from the independent
"Henry Smith, the Conservative MP for Crawley, tweeted: “Sorry no parliamentary email access today – we're under cyber attack from Kim Jong-un, Putin or a kid in his mom's basement or something.”

The kid in his mom's basement has categorically stated via the Russian Embassy.
"It wasn't me, but I won't do it again."

• Agree

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
While the clueless chief British negotiating team wrestle with the impossibility of achieving anything of a 'Brexit' that will provide anywhere near as good benefits as we currently enjoy, it might be worth focussing for a moment on some of the problems the nation faces, 'Brexit' or no 'Brexit'.

In no particular order:

18486452_1485448018142996_126115878600468056_n.png

boris Johnson eu citizens rights.png

Brexit taking back control hs2 france china italy.png

As if that little lot isn't bad enough, most recently we have witnessed some automaton in female form performing the role of a Prime Minister who seems incapable of demonstrating any real warmth or empathy for the common folk in the UK......or foxes!

19400076_1485662868121511_4543114832562042886_n.png

Tom

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It begins
"
Brexit's architects are hated by British public, chart shows
Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Farage's popularity has plummeted since last year's referendum according to polls
The popularity of some of the key Brexit campaigners, including Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and Michael Gove, has fallen to record low as the UK marks a year since the EU referendum, a new poll shows.

The survey by YouGov found that the politicians who vigorously campaigned for Britain to leave the 27 nation bloc have become increasingly disliked by the public.

At the time of the referendum last June, a YouGov poll found 40 per cent of respondents said they disliked or really disliked Mr Johnson, while 49 per cent said the same of Mr Farage and 65 per cent for Mr Gove.
A similar poll conducted by YouGov in June this year, showed the proportion of respondents who said they disliked Mr Johnson had increased to 53 per cent.

Dislike of Mr Farage had increased to 78 per cent, while Mr Gove scored a staggering 83 per cent.
During the referendum campaign, Mr Johnson and Mr Gove toured the country on a bus promising voters an additional £350m would be spent on the NHS if the UK left the EU.

Almost immediately after the vote, senior campaigners started to backtrack on it.

The UK Statistics Authority also described it as “potentially misleading”. Mr Johnson nonetheless insisted in April that he still stood by his pre-referendum promise

They will come to woe the day!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Oh Tom! you are not being Fair to the Daily Mail!
After all it must be a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over this earlier Front Page, surely

The details of their Fascist past are here
I urge everyone to read it fully to see just how "Patriotic" this paper really is, and ask why do they support Brexit? what's in if for these Fascists?

http://www.thelondoneconomic.com/tle-pick/revealed-the-extent-of-the-daily-mails-support-for-the-british-union-of-fascists/28/10/
This bit is truly Delicious!
"
The story, bylined to Viscount Rothermere, praised Mosley for his “sound, common sense, Conservative doctrine”, and pointed out that: “Young men may join the British Union of Fascists by writing to the Headquarters, King’s Road, Chelsea, London, S.W.”

For a full six months, the Daily Mail was overtly sympathetic to the Black Shirts until a rally at the Kensington Olympia, in the summer of 1934.

However, the Daily Mail did not drop its support for Mosley’s BUF wholly because of their ‘violence’ and ‘intolerance,’ as Pendlebury claims.

Rothermere – whose dynasty still own the news group – told Adolf Hitler himself that real reason was because Jewish advertisers in the UK threatened to pull the plug on his paper.

It is not often that news stories rely on the testimony of Hitler to back-up facts. But in this case, the Fuhrer’s words are compelling indeed.

Credit where it's due Tom!
I am no fan of The Daily Fail, but this was 73 years ago. Catch up.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
It begins
"
Brexit's architects are hated by British public, chart shows
Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Nigel Farage's popularity has plummeted since last year's referendum according to polls
The popularity of some of the key Brexit campaigners, including Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and Michael Gove, has fallen to record low as the UK marks a year since the EU referendum, a new poll shows.

The survey by YouGov found that the politicians who vigorously campaigned for Britain to leave the 27 nation bloc have become increasingly disliked by the public.

At the time of the referendum last June, a YouGov poll found 40 per cent of respondents said they disliked or really disliked Mr Johnson, while 49 per cent said the same of Mr Farage and 65 per cent for Mr Gove.
A similar poll conducted by YouGov in June this year, showed the proportion of respondents who said they disliked Mr Johnson had increased to 53 per cent.

Dislike of Mr Farage had increased to 78 per cent, while Mr Gove scored a staggering 83 per cent.
During the referendum campaign, Mr Johnson and Mr Gove toured the country on a bus promising voters an additional £350m would be spent on the NHS if the UK left the EU.

Almost immediately after the vote, senior campaigners started to backtrack on it.

The UK Statistics Authority also described it as “potentially misleading”. Mr Johnson nonetheless insisted in April that he still stood by his pre-referendum promise

They will come to woe the day!
This doesn't surprise me. They have not followed up the BREXIT vote with anything of substance. It all seem to be pi$$ and wind.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

Advertisers