Brexit, for once some facts.

The turning point?

https://www.ft.com/content/b423f32c-1dd4-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

"Britain’s high street saw the biggest drop in retail sales, excluding food, in nearly six years in the first quarter of 2017, raising concerns about the strength of the country’s consumer boom."

Now what was it that happened 6 years ago that we're now comparing figures too, and that wasn't self inflicted was it?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The turning point?

https://www.ft.com/content/b423f32c-1dd4-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

"Britain’s high street saw the biggest drop in retail sales, excluding food, in nearly six years in the first quarter of 2017, raising concerns about the strength of the country’s consumer boom."

Now what was it that happened 6 years ago that we're now comparing figures too, and that wasn't self inflicted was it?
No. To me, inflation rate is a pretty much the price to pay for brexit, the rest is fluff.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The 'Daily Mail' has once again demonstrated what an unsavoury publication it is with its outrageous comments about the students who participated in the final of 'University Challenge'.

It has been heavily criticised already on various social media but here is a link for those who may have missed it:

daily-mail-boycotted-by-university-challenge-winners

Tom

No. To me, inflation rate is a pretty much the price to pay for brexit, the rest is fluff.
lucky you, many many others are on the breadline already so inflation is not going to be an acceptable price to pay... remember the margin of victory in the referendum was very small.

If you want an insight into the minds of many leavers have a look at this post.

As predicted by the "experts" before many of the promises were not possible, so now the leavers are fighting among themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/leaveeuofficial/photos/a.805855112846065.1073741829.794492093982367/1230881420343430/?type=3

typical quote:

"The only reason I voted out was to stop free movement into the uk, I'm not racist but........."

Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
This clown in the attached clip is entirely representative of Donald Trump's presidency so far and we have to remember here that the US acted unilaterally in Syria by stepping in and bombing again. Is the US really a member of Nato or of the United Nations?

This guy got himself into a hole.....then decided to keep digging!

Tom

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
typical quote:

"The only reason I voted out was to stop free movement into the uk, I'm not racist but........."
there is a percentage of voters who have buyers' regret but as you know, what would count is if some 30% of constituencies in England that voted for Brexit flip to remain at the next GE to change the course of brexit.
Other than that, we are likely going to get 3 years of transitional arrangements until 2022. By then, we'll have the real feel of success or failure.

there is a percentage of voters who have buyers' regret but as you know
I'm not sure its buyer's regret, when its blatantly a con. They've handed their trust over and aren't getting what they promised. No money for NHS, no immigration control, no land of milk and honey. Just inflation.

oh and a stream of jokes and abuse at their expense. This from the team at Have I got News for you today. I know I'd be feeling pretty stupid if I'd have fallen for the lies.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
This clown in the attached clip is entirely representative of Donald Trump's presidency so far and we have to remember here that the US acted unilaterally in Syria by stepping in and bombing again. Is the US really a member of Nato or of the United Nations?

This guy got himself into a hole.....then decided to keep digging!

Tom
from Wikipedia
"During the war, Germany stockpiled tabun, sarin, and soman but refrained from their use on the battlefield. In total, Germany produced about 78,000 tons of chemical weapons.[4] By 1945 the nation produced about 12,000 tons of tabun and 1,000 pounds (450 kg) of sarin.[4] Delivery systems for the nerve agents included 105 mm and 150 mm artillery shells, a 250 kg bomb and a 150 mm rocket.[4] Even when the Soviets neared Berlin, Adolf Hitler was persuaded not to use tabun as the final trump card. The use of tabun was opposed by Hitler's Minister of Armaments, Albert Speer"

He wasn't at all trying to deny holocaust. Complete overeaction as normal. He was criticizing Assad and made point Nazis didn't use Sarin/ Tabun when he could have. Was rumoured BEF could have been shelled with Tabun at Dunkerque. Perhaps he was worried about retaliation...after all we ( UK) had Anthrax, Sarin and Tabun stockpiled. ( We poisoned a Scottish Island that has only recently been classified free of Anthrax)

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
from Wikipedia
"During the war, Germany stockpiled tabun, sarin, and soman but refrained from their use on the battlefield. In total, Germany produced about 78,000 tons of chemical weapons.[4] By 1945 the nation produced about 12,000 tons of tabun and 1,000 pounds (450 kg) of sarin.[4] Delivery systems for the nerve agents included 105 mm and 150 mm artillery shells, a 250 kg bomb and a 150 mm rocket.[4] Even when the Soviets neared Berlin, Adolf Hitler was persuaded not to use tabun as the final trump card. The use of tabun was opposed by Hitler's Minister of Armaments, Albert Speer"

He wasn't at all trying to deny holocaust. Complete overeaction as normal. He was criticizing Assad and made point Nazis didn't use Sarin/ Tabun when he could have. Was rumoured BEF could have been shelled with Tabun at Dunkerque. Perhaps he was worried about retaliation...after all we ( UK) had Anthrax, Sarin and Tabun stockpiled. ( We poisoned a Scottish Island that has only recently been classified free of Anthrax)
... Again I have to agree with you. The qualification of on the battlefield needs to be emphasised. The gas chambers did use chemical agents. Sean Spicer was put on the spot and responded poorly
There may well have been other factors at play in Hitler s decision , in addition to the retaliation argument, he might have been hoping for UK support or acquiescence for a war in the East and gassing the BEF would not have been good politics.Anyway he was winning, at that stage so why not be magnanimous, and just kill using the accepted methods.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan
Just in case you wondered why there isn't more criticism.

"Officials have made clear that any critical statements in the media about immigration, trade, or the rights of EU residents will be punished with an immediate cessation of access, according to one big business lobby."

https://www.ft.com/content/a1d65e82-1ac1-11e7-bcac-6d03d067f81f

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
lucky you, many many others are on the breadline already so inflation is not going to be an acceptable price to pay... remember the margin of victory in the referendum was very small.

If you want an insight into the minds of many leavers have a look at this post.

As predicted by the "experts" before many of the promises were not possible, so now the leavers are fighting among themselves.

https://www.facebook.com/leaveeuofficial/photos/a.805855112846065.1073741829.794492093982367/1230881420343430/?type=3

typical quote:

Did they really believe that things would turn out the way they wanted?
Quite incredible, it shakes my belief that they were misled
Was I wrong after all, can they really be so easily led?
This is worrying, as they may turn uglier than nature made them already, and clearly they are not likely to listen to reason once stirred to anger.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
How many 'Brexidiots' considered the student loan situation, I wonder? Not many, I'd guess - I didn't. Before getting to the the latest info on that, let's do a quick, simplistic precis of the progress so far:

Sterling has sunk against all other currencies worth talking about.

Immigration will (need to) continue - definitely won't be stopped.

Prices of most things in shops have risen and that is ongoing.

Inflation is rising and the trend indicators suggest it will climb further.

The NHS crisis has worsened and recruitment has declined.

Care home staff are leaving in droves.

The government has intensified its war on the disabled - cars now removed.

There are too many negative aspects already and that short list merely touches upon them, solely attributable to the 'Brexit' fiasco, that it's difficult to see any way the UK can recover, let alone prosper, once out of the EU.

The idiots, of course, still believe we have won something.....like taking back control of our borders (as if we had any in the past). Plus, we have regained sovereignty which is just too ridiculous for words.

To make matters worse, there is the distinct possibility that the Scots may decide to leave the UK - a second referendum is likely to be a close run thing - and the Northern Irish people might decide they will be better served as part of a united Ireland within the EU. As this shambles continues to unfold, the probability factor of those things happening continues to increase.

This is the prospect facing our talented young people if they aspire to a university education:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39577507

Tom

Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
How many 'Brexidiots' considered the student loan situation, I wonder? Not many, I'd guess - I didn't. Before getting to the the latest info on that, let's do a quick, simplistic precis of the progress so far:

Sterling has sunk against all other currencies worth talking about.

Immigration will (need to) continue - definitely won't be stopped.

Prices of most things in shops have risen and that is ongoing.

Inflation is rising and the trend indicators suggest it will climb further.

The NHS crisis has worsened and recruitment has declined.

Care home staff are leaving in droves.

The government has intensified its war on the disabled - cars now removed.

There are too many negative aspects already and that short list merely touches upon them, solely attributable to the 'Brexit' fiasco, that it's difficult to see any way the UK can recover, let alone prosper, once out of the EU.

The idiots, of course, still believe we have won something.....like taking back control of our borders (as if we had any in the past). Plus, we have regained sovereignty which is just too ridiculous for words.

To make matters worse, there is the distinct possibility that the Scots may decide to leave the UK - a second referendum is likely to be a close run thing - and the Northern Irish people might decide they will be better served as part of a united Ireland within the EU. As this shambles continues to unfold, the probability factor of those things happening continues to increase.

This is the prospect facing our talented young people if they aspire to a university education:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39577507

Tom
... Whatever about increasing interest rates on student loans, the notion of selling them on to private , (and I will use the term ), vulture funds is appalling. We have experience in this country where bank mortgages were sold on to such vulture funds , at a discount, and whatever guarantees and security of tenure did not form part of these transaction. The legal representatives of the UK student unions, whatever they are called, should initiate a case against the government on breach of contract

Advertisers